Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70XT - What is different about an XT

Views : 1258

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2019, 15:08   #1
Derek UK
VOC Member

Default V70XT - What is different about an XT

Might be looking at a 1999 V70XT auto. The XT suffix is new to me. Googling seems to say that it's the same as a "standard" model and then lists the extras it can have. What differences are there between the base "Standard" and the base "XT"? Owners comments welcome.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 16:23   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Towards the end of it's life Volvo offered all sorts of different trim levels and "packs" with the V70 and S70. There was a base (Torslanda?) model, then the XT, then the XLT. These replaced the base, SE and CD trim levels. But then the buyer could specify all sorts of "packs" with a new car. This could be the Winter Pack, which added heated seats and headlamp wash-wipe, or a Comfort Pack which added climate control, leather upholstery and protective carpet mats etc. Or you could (if memory serves) specify individual "extras" such as heated seats, climate control, cruise control, a better audio, wood trim, etc etc etc.

I had from new a 1998 S-reg V70, which was the base model, with fabric seats, grey fascia trim, aircon, plastic wheel covers, and so on. Then in 2000 I got a very last of the line W-reg V70 with just about every whistle and bell in the book - alloys, cliamte control, cruise control, leather seats, info centre, sun roof. The best V70 I owned was the P-reg 97 model CD trim level. I bought this second hand in 2005, and it too had every conceivable goodie with the exception of a sun roof.

So in short, your XT could have some, none or all of the goodies on offer at the time - it just depends!

Simple question, long answer!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 22:36   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

Thanks, it's on a V plate and it does have leather and A/C but not sure what else. One of the reasons it's being sold is that it lives inside the upcoming London emission zone, somewhere I don't go. I won't like the insurance bracket but it's not much above what I've used to paying for my current car. We'll see.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 18:30   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

If it all checks out then you won't be disappointed. The S/V70 of that model is arguably one of the best cars ever built. The one regret I have about owning the last one I had is that I should never have sold it! 6 years on and I'm still kicking myself!

Jack
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 20:48   #5
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Thanks, it's on a V plate and it does have leather and A/C but not sure what else. One of the reasons it's being sold is that it lives inside the upcoming London emission zone, somewhere I don't go. I won't like the insurance bracket but it's not much above what I've used to paying for my current car. We'll see.
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:12   #6
amazondean
amazondean

One of the biggest bug bearers of these v70’s is the lack of a passenger lock and latterly the boot lock. If you don’t have a remote lock and just use a key, it can be a pain. I still believe the 850 is a slightly better car. The interior trim lasts better for a start!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 18:15   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
I still believe the 850 is a slightly better car. The interior trim lasts better for a start!
I beg to differ m'lud! Most 850s succumb to the tin worm around the lower edges of the front wings, the speedos die and the dash glovebox is problematical.

I've had a 97 V70 that I took to 300,000 and the current S70 (a 98) is at 215,000. Beyond routine maintenance neither has given any real cause for disappointment.

And I reckon that the smoother lines of the 70 cars have dated much better than the more RWD-like contours of the 850! Having said that, I love my S90 for it's "proper" Volvo look, and still have a very high regard for the 740 and the 240s I've owned!

Jack
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 16:32   #8
amazondean
amazondean

Well I was basing it on the fact that on the v70 the widow switches discolour and wear, sometimes break. The door cards peel on every panel, the door cards also drop to bits, the dash switches scratch and mark easily. I also think the 850 is now looking more classy than the older v70. But that may just be my taste. I own both 850’s and early v70’s and much prefer the 850 but you are right about the 850 failings.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote