Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Q about LED headlights

Views : 1137

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2018, 20:35   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Given it is a kit car and over 40 years old (so no MOT) you are unlikely to run into legality issues unless the converted lamps are dangerous/have incorrect beam pattern. Pre 1980 vehicles of any sort do not need to have "E" approved fittings.

However - most retrofit LED bulbs are hopeless - even if very bright. So the sealed beam replacement units already mentioned are by far your best bet. I notice you see them on a lot of Land Rover Defenders, which also have 7" units. Have a shop around on the 4x4 websites and e-bay.... I fancy some for my Spitfire.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 6th, 2018 at 20:39.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 21:51   #12
abdiel
VOC Member

Default LED Lights

LED lighting on road vehicles is the work of the Devil!
IMHO they are bloody dangerous whether fitted to the front or the rear; they blind you either way when approaching a vehicle fitted with them and are especially bad when reflected through your rear view mirror or door mirrors.
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abdiel For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 22:18   #13
dingov70
Master Member

I have seen several vehicles fitted with multiple source LED headlights & they are a PAIN to test for MOT purposes .

Seeing as your car is bike based , look for a bike headlight with a projector lens as standard , I have tested several cars fitted with HID headlights where the cost of repair was stupendous , so owners have retro fitted LED light sources and upon testing for MOT using beam setter I have only ever seen a clean sharp cut off with no dazzle .

LED lights will draw considerably less current due to their design & provide more light than halogen lights do . You might find you struggle to get the heatsinks fitted to the LED difficult to enclose in the light shell
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 23:40   #14
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Thanks, much food for thought.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 00:01   #15
andy_d
Premier Member

the Bike headlight unit might be the best of both worlds, road legal, More light and less amp draw on the system , even more so if there is an acceptable one that fits your existing shells
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 22:42   #16
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

This- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNZT6QqHHOo -just came up while I was browsing on youtube, admittedly it's American and you'll need to follow through to their youtube channel for more info, but the '7inch round' in the title caught my eye.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 08:25   #17
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Given it is a kit car and over 40 years old (so no MOT) you are unlikely to run into legality issues unless the converted lamps are dangerous/have incorrect beam pattern. Pre 1980 vehicles of any sort do not need to have "E" approved fittings.
Unfortunately, although the donor engine and charging system are from 1978, and it carries a suffix T reg, it was first registered as a three wheeler car in 1998, and therefore not exempt from MoT. I’m thinking I might just add a pair of LED driving lights, set to the equivalent of dipped beam, and use with sidelights (to put the rears on).
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 08:37   #18
37 RUBY
Master Member

As an owner of an Austin 7 with a barely adequate (but original all the same) 6v charging/lighting system I see fellow owners making use of this companies bulbs...

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...bulbs-shop.php

They get good reports from the very critical A7 scene and tend to be designed with the lower output DC charging systems.

Might be worth a look.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 09:26   #19
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
The 40 year old charging system on my bike engined kit car only just copes with ordinary H4 headlights, bearing in mind there was only one headlight on the bike, two on the car.

I’m using headlights more currently (sorry for the pun!) so thinking about fitting LEDs instead. There is no error-finding software...

Two questions: will they take less from the battery/alternator, and will they give as much, if not more, light output?

Thanks in advance.

Malcolm
try looking at bulbs/lights in the m and p catalogue they are based in swansea
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post: