Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 S40 II Diesel "SRS Warning Urgent Service"

Views : 740

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 17:47   #1
choppychop

Default 2004 S40 II Diesel "SRS Warning Urgent Service"

Hello,
I have bought a 2004 S40 D SE the later shape and whilst its a great car it has a warning on the dash saying "SRS Warning Urgent Service". Now i've read these forums widely and it seems that the usual advice hasnt fixed. I've fiddled with seat connectors and checked the connection near the NSF strut top as some have advised. I've also had it plugged in at a Volvo Main Dealer who said that lots of codes came up and they couldn't clear them, which suggests the ECU is crackered!! However, he said "most likely" and "couldn't be sure until its fitted" etc which made me wonder how confident they were and if i would be hit with a big bill (£500 all in) which didn't resolve the problem.

Also does anyone know where the ECU is as I am hoping to get some numbers and try and pick up a second hand one. Can anyone tell me if this is possible or are they coded to the vehicle?

Otherwise the car is perfect. Therefore I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other fixes or suggestions or anywhere where i can get this repaired. I would really appreciate any help as I understand its now an MOT failure?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Last edited by choppychop; Feb 18th, 2013 at 17:51. Reason: forgot to add another question
choppychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 19:44   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Just to be 100% we are talking about the newer and current S40??

If we are on about the newer S40 then I believe but not completely 100% (but almosdt certain in my own head) that you cannot just change the ECU from one car to the next on these. They are coded to each car and will not work in another.

The next thing is, have you actually had codes read and reset?

When the S40 detects am SRS problem this is written as a permanent fault unlike other systems that are temp, this means even if everything is okay the problem (light) will not go away until the codes are reset!

i.e If you unplug your MAF you should get acode stored and a light on, on the dash to tell you there is a problem. Once this problem is fixed (plug maf back in) the error will no longer be reported and the light on the dash will go out. Ths does not happen with SRS errors they stay until reset.

You need someone with either a very good code reader (as most generic ones will not reset Volvo SRS) or find someone in your area that has VIDA/DICE (Volvo reader) who can read and reset your codes. It may be all you need. Just ask the question in your next post if anyone on here has VIDA/DICE in your area that would be willing to read and reset your codes.

As I say you may find a reset of the codes is all you need. The SRS light can more often than not come on if you have done any work on the car with the battery still connected. These cars do not like conections plugged in nor removed while there is still power to the car. Havea search on here and you will find a 'myriad' of threads about peole getting an SRS light on after doing work on their car. If in the end there is a problem then at least VIDA/DICE will actually point you straight to the source of the problem - no guessing which parts are required.

Any work = Disconnect battery and leave car 15min. I think Volvo say 5min but I like to be on the safe side.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, s40d, srs airbag, urgent service, warning light