Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil leak

Views : 466

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2023, 22:13   #1
Ramin

Default Oil leak

Hi all

TLDR;
Are oil leaks common in high mileage V50 SE 2.0 Petrol (2008) and should I be worried?

Just bought a used V50 SE lux 2.0 Petrol with 100,000 miles on it. The car has had comprehensive and regular servicing done and came with plenty of receipts of all the work that had been done on it. When I checked the oil it looked very clean, a bit too clean to be honest but the level looked a bit on the low side. I didn't make much of it. the last service was done three months ago; overall, it ticked all the boxes.

I took it for a 20-minute test drive and it seemed very refined, didn't lack power in any gears and shifted OK, the clutch bite is a bit high but the felt in good shape. One thing I forgot to check was the engine for any oil leaks. As I took the car back home and was inspecting it in more detail we noticed the very apparent oil residue all around the engine and on some other parts further down the bay but it didn't look fresh. Long story short I am now a bit concerned if the leak is severe and if it will cause issues soon.

I will clean the excess oil, regularly check the levels, leave cardboard under the car overnight, keep my eyes on it for a while to see if the leak is severe, and update this post with the results.

Any information and/or advice is much appreciated.
Ramin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil leaks, v50