Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VolvoTech CFE Canbus feature extender review.

Views : 40921

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2018, 12:04   #131
harveys
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
It has arrived. Had a quick play. Very disappointed with the CFE plus. Nothing works very well or consistently. Can't get the dim info to display. Welcome message doesn't work.
You sure it's set up correctly , also tick boxes in each section and summer/winter set ?.
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 12:21   #132
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Remember the Welcome Message works only on a Cold Boot, not a Warm Boot of the vehicle

By Cold Boot I mean the vehicle has to be completely shut , with all devices and the can bus asleep.
This occurs after you close and lock the car and wait about 10 minutes.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 17:11   #133
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

nice one that does help for the future RE cold boot, I've put the Beta firmware on as suggested on other posts which has fixed it for other people.

I have also unticked a few of the information boxes (maybe theres a max limit on the amount of boxes you can have ticked for DIM)

At work now so will play with it tomorrow.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 19:18   #134
cpu_man

Hi guys, this is something of intrest to me however after reading though this it seems you have to keep this plugged in to the OBD port full time, I take it once removed your coding is lost??

is this right?

If so is there another option for a permanent code??
cpu_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 21:22   #135
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu_man View Post
Hi guys, this is something of intrest to me however after reading though this it seems you have to keep this plugged in to the OBD port full time, I take it once removed your coding is lost??

is this right?

If so is there another option for a permanent code??
The CFE doesn't "code" anything
It is a microprocessor that listens to the databus and then sends instructions down the databus to the devices it wants to talk to.

It actually uses the diagnostic test functions that exist in most devices to activate what it wants to activate.

So yes, it needs to stay connected to work all the time.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 21:27   #136
noddycat

Apropos of not much, just noticed Volvotech have a 20% Black Friday discount on the Canbus Plus until the end of today (24th Nov) in case anyone's thinking of getting one.
noddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 09:58   #137
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddycat View Post
Apropos of not much, just noticed Volvotech have a 20% Black Friday discount on the Canbus Plus until the end of today (24th Nov) in case anyone's thinking of getting one.
Update: Today is the 25th and the discount still applies.... so go shopping
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 12:12   #138
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
The CFE doesn't "code" anything
It is a microprocessor that listens to the databus and then sends instructions down the databus to the devices it wants to talk to.

It actually uses the diagnostic test functions that exist in most devices to activate what it wants to activate.

So yes, it needs to stay connected to work all the time.
So is there any coding options out there for the xc90 that's in use??
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 12:25   #139
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu_man View Post
So is there any coding options out there for the xc90 that's in use??
Yes, there are a few.

I have gone through many options in my car

With VIDA you can do some minor things like alter the delay time on the interior lights, set the auto-lock, adjust units of measure (°F, °C, km, miles), set the temperature distribution for the REST heater, alter the DRL settings, and some other stuff.

With VIDA, you can also load new software versions such as changing the dash language, adding the REST heater (which I did), adding the Parking Heater (which I also did), and a ton of other things.
HOWEVER due to the encryption methods used, and the commercial policies of Volvo, all of these options are available as "parts" to purchase, and can only be installed by a dealer or other garage with fully licenced VIDA subscription.

Yes, I have read of Russians that have hacked the CEM and DIM and loaded new software and DIM languages and altered the available options.
But that requires removing the instrument cluster and CEM, accessing the EEPROMs directly to read out the code, then decoding the stored pin number, and writng it back to the EEPROM. They don't release how they do that to the Internet.

I paid real money to enable the parking heater (about 200 GBP) and the residual heat heater (around 75 GBP), and I do actively use them in winter, such as today. I don't regret having spent the money.
Note that those options have a prerequsite of having the fuel-driven auxiliary heater fitted, which my D5 diesel had ex factory.
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 14:50   #140
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Yes, there are a few.

I have gone through many options in my car

With VIDA you can do some minor things like alter the delay time on the interior lights, set the auto-lock, adjust units of measure (°F, °C, km, miles), set the temperature distribution for the REST heater, alter the DRL settings, and some other stuff.

With VIDA, you can also load new software versions such as changing the dash language, adding the REST heater (which I did), adding the Parking Heater (which I also did), and a ton of other things.
HOWEVER due to the encryption methods used, and the commercial policies of Volvo, all of these options are available as "parts" to purchase, and can only be installed by a dealer or other garage with fully licenced VIDA subscription.

Yes, I have read of Russians that have hacked the CEM and DIM and loaded new software and DIM languages and altered the available options.
But that requires removing the instrument cluster and CEM, accessing the EEPROMs directly to read out the code, then decoding the stored pin number, and writng it back to the EEPROM. They don't release how they do that to the Internet.

I paid real money to enable the parking heater (about 200 GBP) and the residual heat heater (around 75 GBP), and I do actively use them in winter, such as today. I don't regret having spent the money.
Note that those options have a prerequsite of having the fuel-driven auxiliary heater fitted, which my D5 diesel had ex factory.
The main things I am looking to change is:

1. When I lock the car the mirrors fold by them self rather than me having to push a button each time.

2. dip the mirror on reverse.

3. Beep when I lock the car.

Anything that can do this, not sure VIDA can?