Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which would you buy V50 or V70?

Views : 5724

Replies : 79

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2023, 17:29   #21
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
I don't know much about the V 50
So I would get a 2005 ish V70 if you can find one
2004/ 5 d5 facelift euro3 . no dpf no swirl flaps and most of the gearbox and dim problems had been sorted by this year. mileage should not be a problem on a well serviced car . check the cambelt /aux belt history.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 19:22   #22
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
2004/ 5 d5 facelift euro3 . no dpf no swirl flaps and most of the gearbox and dim problems had been sorted by this year. mileage should not be a problem on a well serviced car . check the cambelt /aux belt history.
He wants a petrol....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 06:32   #23
Forg

Hmm, I'd go against everyone else's preferences & would go with the V50.
Except the stated desire is to get a "bigger car" and the current car is a V40 ... regardless of which V40 it is, the V50 won't be bigger.
I'd mostly be getting the V50 because it's smaller, and I don't think that meets requirements!
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 00:12   #24
Nick04

It was between the V50 and V70 for me as well, I nearly got a 2010 V70 2.5T but finally opted for a 2009 V50 2.4i. One of the main reasons for going for the V50 is that my wife uses the car so the V50 was much better suited.

I don't actually think there is a right answer in many respects. It's a bit of a triangle between the P2 V70, V50 and P3 V70. I like the P2 much better than the P3, but the P3 is a better car. If you don't need that size of boot, the P2 isn't that good for rear legroom either, so it would be hard to justify unless you're an enthusiast. The P3 would be the choice if you need decent legroom in the rear along with the good sized boot. The V50 isn't as good quality as the other two but it drives and handles better. It looks better as well. So it all depends what you need it for. If you don't need the massive boot particularly, I'd get a V50. Unless you need the rear legroom, then go for the P3. But you might be an enthusiast, so go for the P2.
Nick04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick04 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 02:33   #25
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick04 View Post
It was between the V50 and V70 for me as well, I nearly got a 2010 V70 2.5T but finally opted for a 2009 V50 2.4i. One of the main reasons for going for the V50 is that my wife uses the car so the V50 was much better suited.

I don't actually think there is a right answer in many respects. It's a bit of a triangle between the P2 V70, V50 and P3 V70. I like the P2 much better than the P3, but the P3 is a better car. If you don't need that size of boot, the P2 isn't that good for rear legroom either, so it would be hard to justify unless you're an enthusiast. The P3 would be the choice if you need decent legroom in the rear along with the good sized boot. The V50 isn't as good quality as the other two but it drives and handles better. It looks better as well. So it all depends what you need it for. If you don't need the massive boot particularly, I'd get a V50. Unless you need the rear legroom, then go for the P3. But you might be an enthusiast, so go for the P2.
your not wrong
a v50 2.4i does handle well, (assuming suspension is all sorted and decent tyres correctly inflated)

the "boot size" is not what i was used to with the 940
but as the car comes with roof rails, adding bars and a top box for those very few occasions the boot isnt Quite big enough soon fixes that,

(family of 4 camping hol = roof box good idea)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 08:41   #26
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
your not wrong
a v50 2.4i does handle well, (assuming suspension is all sorted and decent tyres correctly inflated)

the "boot size" is not what i was used to with the 940
but as the car comes with roof rails, adding bars and a top box for those very few occasions the boot isnt Quite big enough soon fixes that,

(family of 4 camping hol = roof box good idea)
And don’t forget the tight turning circle…..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 08:56   #27
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick04 View Post

Sound wisdom from experience there….
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 10:22   #28
cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Hmm, I'd go against everyone else's preferences & would go with the V50.
Except the stated desire is to get a "bigger car" and the current car is a V40 ... regardless of which V40 it is, the V50 won't be bigger.
I'd mostly be getting the V50 because it's smaller, and I don't think that meets requirements!
My current V40 is a 2003 SE 2.0, I saved it from going to scrap, I like the performance and can live with the 30mpg, the boot space is OK though I find the cabin to small and cramped after having the Avensis which was an 1.8 hatch.
The biggest problem for me is I need an automatic and I more for comfort then speed nowadays.

I've spoken to a few non Volvo people and non seem very keen on the V50.
I'm going for the petrol because doing the math with fuel prices and mpg with my annual mileage makes running a petrol a bit cheaper and I prefer petrol, the only diesel I've own which I like was a Nissan Terrano which I ran on veg oil in 04,05 33p a litre until the Government spoilt it.

I don't need the rear leg room, only person that goes occasionally in the back is the mother in law and that's only because my wife won't let me put her in the boot.

Last edited by cogs; Feb 12th, 2023 at 10:27.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cogs For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 10:43   #29
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
My current V40 is a 2003 SE 2.0, I saved it from going to scrap, I like the performance and can live with the 30mpg, the boot space is OK though I find the cabin to small and cramped after having the Avensis which was an 1.8 hatch.
The biggest problem for me is I need an automatic and I more for comfort then speed nowadays.

I've spoken to a few non Volvo people and non seem very keen on the V50.
I'm going for the petrol because doing the math with fuel prices and mpg with my annual mileage makes running a petrol a bit cheaper and I prefer petrol, the only diesel I've own which I like was a Nissan Terrano which I ran on veg oil in 04,05 33p a litre until the Government spoilt it.

I don't need the rear leg room, only person that goes occasionally in the back is the mother in law and that's only because my wife won't let me put her in the boot.
I think now you have narrowed down your search you need to find some cars at dealers and do some test drives. All your options are sound really, it's down to your personal preference.

Most of us would say V70, it's such a good car, but a good V50 would be a fine car also and if you can find one, the 2.4i Auto's tend to have been bought by the older generation and looked after, usually lower miles too.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 18:36   #30
cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I think now you have narrowed down your search you need to find some cars at dealers and do some test drives.
Yes, there in lays the problem. They seem to be very thin on the ground around me and I'm searching up to 100miles away from me.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v50, v70