Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No spark no fuel.

Views : 24325

Replies : 155

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2009, 02:00   #51
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

I have had a quick look at this thread....

No fuel...no spark..?

After a jet wash (comment reserved on that lol)

The coolant sensor may be shorting causing under fueling at crank...Unlikely....

What else would cause no fuel at crank after a wash?...
The ECM is enclosed in a box.....

You are sure you have no fuel....You have pressed the valve at the end of the fuel rail....?

Jod
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 10:38   #52
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
I have had a quick look at this thread....

No fuel...no spark..?

After a jet wash (comment reserved on that lol)

The coolant sensor may be shorting causing under fueling at crank...Unlikely....

What else would cause no fuel at crank after a wash?...
The ECM is enclosed in a box.....

You are sure you have no fuel....You have pressed the valve at the end of the fuel rail....?

Jod
Good Morning Jod,The fuel is not reaching the pots on turnover,plugs are still dry after long (1min at 20sec intervals)cranking.I can hear pump relay engage and pump start and then switch off again,i presume thats all ok.There is power going to the coil but not from the distributer feed lead.Is there any way of disabling the imobiliser it seem as if the car is in efect stopping its self being started if you see what i mean.Is baffling to me.By the way the Wash was three months ago.Where is this Valve on the Fuel Rail?

Last edited by Toplights; Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:41.
Toplights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 20:39   #53
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplights941 View Post
Good Morning Jod,The fuel is not reaching the pots on turnover,plugs are still dry after long (1min at 20sec intervals)cranking.I can hear pump relay engage and pump start and then switch off again,i presume thats all ok.There is power going to the coil but not from the distributer feed lead.Is there any way of disabling the imobiliser it seem as if the car is in efect stopping its self being started if you see what i mean.Is baffling to me.By the way the Wash was three months ago.Where is this Valve on the Fuel Rail?
The valve is on the passenger side end of the rail, it might have a blue cover on it which screws off. You then press the valve and fuel should come out. Alternatively you can unscrew the fuel pipe feeding the rail on the other side using 17 or 18mm spanner, again fuel should come out.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 21:00   #54
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Done that got a spoonfull out,told you i have no fuel/spark. Any one have a decent V70/late 850 for sale?Iv'e got plenty of spare parts for it(maybe).
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 21:38   #55
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I think I'd take a punt at this stage and replace the cam position sensor.

Also have you checked the timing has not slipped?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 23:35   #56
grass hopper
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
I think I'd take a punt at this stage and replace the cam position sensor.

Also have you checked the timing has not slipped?
if there was no reading from the cam sensor the car would still start,i have disconected them and the car still runs,also this would not stop the fuel pressure.

the car needs connecting to vida and the readings for the engine monitored while cranking,ie rpm,fuel pressure,coolant temp,flywheel sensor reading,imobiliser status etc.

have the codes been read for the imobiliser ?
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 08:05   #57
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Done that got a spoonfull out,told you i have no fuel/spark. Any one have a decent V70/late 850 for sale?Iv'e got plenty of spare parts for it(maybe).
Hi
Had you primed the rail before, ie heard the relay click off...
I would read the codes again using a flash code reader..

I doubt the fuel side to be an issue, it makes sense for it to be CPS as the ECM has not got a clue where it is supposed to fire and shuts down both the coil and the injectors....

Try starting the car with the CPS unplugged

Jod
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 08:15   #58
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
if there was no reading from the cam sensor the car would still start,i have disconected them and the car still runs,also this would not stop the fuel pressure.

the car needs connecting to vida and the readings for the engine monitored while cranking,ie rpm,fuel pressure,coolant temp,flywheel sensor reading,imobiliser status etc.

have the codes been read for the imobiliser ?
The CPS will not necessarily light a 314 code it is dependent on the management system...
If the car is fitted with a Volvoguard system, IIRC this totally cuts the starting procedure so the starter will not turn if the immobilizer is "on"
It is true that the car may well start using the ECM stored default values and the flywheel sensor..The sensor multiplug will need to be disconnected....The CMP may well be giving wild readings when connected but this should show as a 314...

Jod
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 10:24   #59
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Flash code reader Jod? the car has an OBD11 port,Have just primed the rail again,got a small amount of fuel showing,would one or two teaspoons full be right or is this not enough?Chris the problem with replacing the cam sensor is the £117 Rufe quoted for a new one, ok if it works,bad news if it doesent. it will come to that next i suppose.thats more than a weeks Pension. as Paul Whitehouse would say OH Bugger!!!!!! No way I can Afford Volvo Diognostics costs,especially at callout prices.(the car doesent Run).

Last edited by Toplights; Oct 30th, 2009 at 10:27.
Toplights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 14:06   #60
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Quote:
Flash code reader Jod? the car has an OBD11 port,Have just primed the rail again,got a small amount of fuel showing,would one or two teaspoons full be right or is this not enough?Chris the problem with replacing the cam sensor is the £117 Rufe quoted for a new one, ok if it works,bad news if it doesent. it will come to that next i suppose.thats more than a weeks Pension. as Paul Whitehouse would say OH Bugger!!!!!! No way I can Afford Volvo Diognostics costs,especially at callout prices.(the car doesent Run).
Hi, when I turn the key to II the pump runs a second or 2. If I then push the shrader valve the fuel spurts out much more than a few drops.
Maybe your not getting enough fuel.
Matt