Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I now own a volvo........ S70 T5

Views : 1670

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2010, 00:47   #1
Ruthlessgk

Cool I now own a volvo........ S70 T5

picked it up today and f**k me it shifts like a b****d lol for lack of better words lol. aerodynamically styled like a brick but its quick.
down sides as with most 2nd hand cars on budget here are the bad points
Possible wheel bearing issue as sometimes it sounds like the driveshaft is spinning around metal not a nice sound but it doesnt always happen but only happens on set off or very hard acceleration
after doin 60miles engine managment light came on as i parked up.
a few of the switches do not work whether it be possible fuse etc
needs new front tyres (will be getting part worn until main issues sorted) but also feels like they need balancing and tracking.
unsure if cambelt has been changed (been stamped as having service @ 120k but unsure of what service this includes. I have contacted garage in the hope of finding some info but as of yet budgetin for new cambelt)
coolant light on but coolant is topped up and temp guage never even tried getting above halfway.

good points
pulls like a freight train
turbo kicks in as it should and does 1 2.5k opening 3k+ bye bye
looks brilliant in pearlescent white
love the 17s on the car atm
no smoke when on boost and on startup
only done 2k since last MOT and previous MOT had no advisories

so all in all i will get pics up soon very happy about owning a T5 just cant wait for all niggles to be sorted out.

If anyone has any ideas on causes of above and or prices etc please add to this thread would be much appreciated as its going to mechanics to have it fully checked out.

Also this car is a few 1sts for me personally as
Its the first car ive owned other than a ford
first 'Powerful' car ive owned (powerful loosely)
first car wit aftermarket alloys lol

cheerz in advance
Zaff
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 06:16   #2
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthlessgk View Post
picked it up today and f**k me it shifts like a b****d lol for lack of better words lol. aerodynamically styled like a brick but its quick.
down sides as with most 2nd hand cars on budget here are the bad points
Possible wheel bearing issue as sometimes it sounds like the driveshaft is spinning around metal not a nice sound but it doesnt always happen but only happens on set off or very hard acceleration
after doin 60miles engine managment light came on as i parked up.
a few of the switches do not work whether it be possible fuse etc
needs new front tyres (will be getting part worn until main issues sorted) but also feels like they need balancing and tracking.
unsure if cambelt has been changed (been stamped as having service @ 120k but unsure of what service this includes. I have contacted garage in the hope of finding some info but as of yet budgetin for new cambelt)
coolant light on but coolant is topped up and temp guage never even tried getting above halfway.

good points
pulls like a freight train
turbo kicks in as it should and does 1 2.5k opening 3k+ bye bye
looks brilliant in pearlescent white
love the 17s on the car atm
no smoke when on boost and on startup
only done 2k since last MOT and previous MOT had no advisories

so all in all i will get pics up soon very happy about owning a T5 just cant wait for all niggles to be sorted out.

If anyone has any ideas on causes of above and or prices etc please add to this thread would be much appreciated as its going to mechanics to have it fully checked out.

Also this car is a few 1sts for me personally as
Its the first car ive owned other than a ford
first 'Powerful' car ive owned (powerful loosely)
first car wit aftermarket alloys lol

cheerz in advance
Zaff
Welcome on board! I got an S70 T5 about 3 months ago after a few T4's, and it has grown on me. One owner car with full history, all electrics and everything works! Other than change to 17" wheels and other mods through choice, nothing needed or needing replacing. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (389.6 KB, 13 views)
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 08:43   #3
Ruthlessgk

Lucky you mine i got for less than a grand which i knew about some of the problems but now just a case of waiting to take it to garage and getting it seen to. Anybody know price of a wheel bearing for one of these? Also after some thinking could even be driveshaft as inside the CV boot could have gone.
Zaff

Last edited by Ruthlessgk; Dec 9th, 2010 at 09:45.
Ruthlessgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 17:12   #4
Paffel
VOC Member

I'd get a proper Volvo OEM one, will cost about £150 for the part, maybe an hour - 1 1/2 hour labour at a garage to fit?
Speak to the member called Rufe - he's a Volvo dealer who does discount parts

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD'01 S60 T5
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 17:56   #5
Ruthlessgk

i will keep that in mind depends on actual fault first tho but good news is i have bought new tyres today getting them fitted monday so thats good.
car is going garage 2moz for near enough a full mot as he is going to check everything. so fingers crossed til 2moz.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 18:08   #6
volvo-express
Master Member

Default Noise

Con grats on getting a T5!
I had an S70 R and when I got it first it mada noise that like the wheel bearing going but it ended up been the tyers "uneven tyre wear". Good luck with it im sure it will give you load's of enjoyment.
VE
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 18:55   #7
jon.denholm

h mate i just got a 2.0 s70 auto i love it but i just dont like filling the bugga up.
jon.denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 19:40   #8
gdphillips
ba baracus...

welcome to the silly grin club.......t5 try saying it without getting the grin.......no how you feel i was the same and still no diffrent....enjoy the car.....
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 19:59   #9
AndyPants
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdphillips View Post
welcome to the silly grin club.......t5 try saying it without getting the grin.......no how you feel i was the same and still no diffrent....enjoy the car.....
Haha I know what you mean. When I first bought my C70 and I had the test drive I gave it some revs but didn't floor it as such and I thought "hmmm it seems nippy and I'm sure the engine code is for a T5 but it doesn't seem that fast....", after starting my drive back I got out onto some open road. So I gave it the beans... needless to say I had a grin cemented on my face for the next 100 miles!

Gave it the beans today for the first time in a couple of months since it was a rather tropic 3 degrees outside. I don't think I have any complaints with the performance...
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 23:40   #10
Ruthlessgk

I will have the silly grin good and propa when i get the issues sorted. the noise i get at times is as if the drive shaft is spinning in metal which is not a nice noise but like i said wont know fully till tomorrow and i deffo got that silly grin big time on the way home when i first got the car. Cant ever remembering driving a car where flooring it in 3rd gear meant spinning the wheels lol even if these tyres do need replacing but even still seeing that speedo just keep rising even without getting revs all way up to 6k revs lol.
I just cant wait til its all properlly ready and done and i give it the proper beans lol
Zaff

Tags
issues, new car, s70 t5