Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0D Engine slugish at revving below 2000RPM

Views : 768

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2016, 22:06   #1
blinkyreal

Default 2.0D Engine slugish at revving below 2000RPM

My 2004 2.0D S40 had been in limp mode for quite a while with DPF (+possibly EGR) problem. Finally had it remapped by Quantum (tri-core map + DPF delete, was told EGR delete not possible).

The issue I now see is that it's slugish (I mean really slugish - worse than it was in limp mode) below 2000rpm. I can slowly (while not in gear) build the revs up by blipping the throttle, then once it's gone above 2-2.5K the engine reves ok. Moving off means giving a lot of throttle to keep the rev's up but once your moving it okish (small amount of throttle from cruising does very little, then suddenly it goes like a lunatic)

So far have removed and cleaned the throttle housing (was badly gunked up), but the problem is still there. For next step I was going to remove and clean the EGR, which looks a pain. So before I start, is there something else I could try. Is there any easier way to remove the EGR (the bolt on underside connecting to intercooler? looks like it's going to cause issues)

Have been tring to find the pin-outs on the EGR with no success, I was hoping to make sure it opens and closes ok once cleaned by powering it.

I don't have a ODB2 reader at the moment, but no errors in the display, so can someone recommend a cheapish ODB2 reader.

All advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
blinkyreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 16:37   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

torque + elm 237 bluetooth adapter
The best and cheapest option (outside vida )
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 17:02   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkyreal View Post
My 2004 2.0D S40 had been in limp mode for quite a while with DPF (+possibly EGR) problem. Finally had it remapped by Quantum (tri-core map + DPF delete, was told EGR delete not possible).

The issue I now see is that it's slugish (I mean really slugish - worse than it was in limp mode) below 2000rpm. I can slowly (while not in gear) build the revs up by blipping the throttle, then once it's gone above 2-2.5K the engine reves ok. Moving off means giving a lot of throttle to keep the rev's up but once your moving it okish (small amount of throttle from cruising does very little, then suddenly it goes like a lunatic)

So far have removed and cleaned the throttle housing (was badly gunked up), but the problem is still there. For next step I was going to remove and clean the EGR, which looks a pain. So before I start, is there something else I could try. Is there any easier way to remove the EGR (the bolt on underside connecting to intercooler? looks like it's going to cause issues)

Have been tring to find the pin-outs on the EGR with no success, I was hoping to make sure it opens and closes ok once cleaned by powering it.

I don't have a ODB2 reader at the moment, but no errors in the display, so can someone recommend a cheapish ODB2 reader.

All advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
What did the Indy say when you took the car back and indicated your displeasure or asked for your money back ??

Sounds like a sticky EGR valve, MAF sensor or connector, as that will confuse the ECU. If the intake needed cleaning, the EGR will also need cleaning, or replacing.
That will not cause a caution light, but should cause a hidden fault code.

I would clean the MAF, replace the air filter if required, clean the EGR (Use a new gasket and retaining bolts if corroded) and connections. Then stick a can of a good injection system cleaner in the tank (Or use Liqui Moly Diesel Purge) and go for a Sunday morning motorway session.

PS: Deleting the DPF is an MOT failure point and a minor breach of UK law, it's the EGR that can be deleted with a blanking kit and MAP tweek. That's just anti social and needs to be declared to the insurance folks due to a fractional power increase.
They are both illegal in Germany due to EU regs that the UK is unlikely to cancel due to the Greenpeace factor.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Jun 23rd, 2016 at 17:12.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 23:29   #4
blinkyreal

Thanks skyship007

THe car was playing up before the remap.

Ordered a Autel Autolink AL519 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) earlier today, I suppose it will come in handy in the future.

Had a new air filter last year (only covered about 1000 miles since), will check the MAF sensor and then clean the EGR.

Last edited by blinkyreal; Jun 23rd, 2016 at 23:46.
blinkyreal is offline   Reply With Quote