Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Inhibitor playing up .automatic gearbox

Views : 249

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:52   #1
J liddy

Default Inhibitor playing up .automatic gearbox

Hi all after months of no problem starting My 1995 940 car failed to start a couple of times it the inhibitor so I bypassed the solinode with exiter wire .this problem only happens when engine has been running and is hot .it always starts ok from cold any advice on the root causes of this problem . I do have a spare gear lever set up but looks a big job to do on the drive for a 70 year old .with a knee replacement now
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 21:56   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

A 1995 car will have the later style selector. Your best chance of replacing the neutral safety switch is to get the whole selector mechanism out. Most of this job involves removing sufficient centre trim to access the four bolts that hold it in and the multiplugs that connect the lamp and switches. However, you will need to get under the car to remove circlip 37 and I think at least one electrical connection to the gearbox. Speaking from experience the circlip is hard to get to because it is right under the middle of the car. I couldn’t access mine using ramps and had to jack the front passenger corner up very high and use an axle stand.

The alternative is to try dismantling the selector from above in situ. This really means managing to disconnect the overdrive switch which is fiddly because there isn’t much slack on the wire to it. If you break this wire you have to remove the selector to replace it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0249.jpg (138.5 KB, 10 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 07:15   #3
J liddy

Thanks forrest . Luke seems to think it's a bad connection and it's quite possible .fault only happens when engine is hot then switch engine off . And it won't start it happens only now and again and fault not happened since .I posted been driving car regularly. I did try moving gear stick through the gears continuously but had to resort to plugging in the exiter wire and starts 1st time once power is resumed .so its possible luke is on the correct trail might you agree a faulty electrical issue
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 08:19   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

I couldn’t say without doing some diagnostic testing. I’d have thought you could test the neutral safety switch easy enough. Either find the two wires behind the centre console. Pink and blue in the multi-plug to the selector and see if you get power to pink when you turn the ignition on and blue only in P or N. Or, in the engine compartment, check the blue wire at the solenoid and the pink wire at the remote start test point on the harness behind the left wing. If you don’t get power on pink it’s probably an ignition switch fault. I’m not sure whether/how the security immobiliser interacts with this circuit though.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 17:34   #5
jpliddy
VOC Member

i will try to do some tests forrest i have a multi meter but bit vague on using it im a carpenter so hope with some guidance i can find the fault .
thanks for your help
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote