Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti skid service required

Views : 61466

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 09:41   #31
imz

Hi Guys,

I get the Anti Skid Service light when the car is struggling to start what is the fault code which indicates a problem with the Anti Skid thing.

I also have low battery voltage fault code, does that mean new battery required?

Thanks
imz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:36   #32
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Low battery voltage message does indicate that your battery is weak and may need changed or just a proper re-charge. Always worth a full off car re-charge first as this is cheaper than a new battery?

So a re-charged battery or indeed if required a new battery 'may' solve all the problems. A weak battery on a Volvo can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful things to happen.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 20:05   #33
SkyJock

Just had the dreaded anti skid service required warning come up on my 2007 S40.

I am in the middle of deciding whether or not to buy the new V40 cross country (fully loaded) but this important safety fault warning on my S40 is a concern.

I've read the OP and subsequent posts on this thread. I'll discuss the fault with a Volvo dealership here in Dublin and intend contacting Volvo Ireland for a formal response, given it may be a possible prior known safety fault in Volvo product.

Depending on how the issue is handled, will determine whether or not I proceed with placing an order on a new V40 or alternatively switch to another car manufacturer. I've had serveral Volvo's from new, overall happy with their product but for such an important safety feature to fail and what appears to be a possible prior known widespread fault, a recall to fix the issue is unknown at this point, all of which is causing me some concerns around Volvo's corporate responsibilities towards safety of product.

I will keep the thread updated of developments.

Last edited by SkyJock; Jan 27th, 2013 at 20:09.
SkyJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:13   #34
john83

Default anti skid service required

Hi, i had the (anti skid service required) message come up on my 2006 S40. Although it was not causing any problem or malfunction with the brakes or any thing else on the car i still wanted it fixed. I contacted volvo uk and they said it was unlikely that they would contribute to the repair as the car had not been to a volvo dealer since 2008. I found a company that specialize in ECU repairs so i sent my abs module to these guys and for a fraction of the volvo repair price they have fixed my module and there is a lifetime guarantee with it. They charge £165+VAT and postage which is a lot less than £1200 which it may cost at a volvo dealer. They are ECU testing Ltd which you can find by typing into Google. I hope this is of help to someone because it has saved me a whole load of cash and if you are handy enough at working on cars you can do the job your self and also save on the labor.
john83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 13:33   #35
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Just for info.

There is always a common stream of posts with regards to people having problems with 'Anti Skid Service Required'.

The Anti Skid message can be triggered by many causes so it is always worth having the codes read properly with a really good code reader, of course the best one for this job is Volvo VIDA/DICE and matters not if it one a forum member/garage may possess or a dealer. Generic code readers are fine but will not always pin point problems like VIDA/DICE can.

There are a number of different possibilities that can cause the Anti Skid message such as:

ABS Sensor faulty at any of the wheels
ABS reluctor ring cracked
ABS ECU faulty
Steering wheel angle sensor
Yaw rate sensor

There are other factors but these would be the main one. The most common on the S40/V50 vehicles and especially around the 2005 to 2007 range is the ABS ECU which of course is the most expensive one too. There is however a specific code that determines if it is the ECU or not and thus why codes being read is important. As the post above depicts there are places to go that can re-condition your ABS ECU for far cheaper than a new module.

Point to note though, the ABS modules are coded to the cars so you can't just get a 2nd hand one from any car and expect it to work, dealers will not re-code the parts either like is possible with other manufacturers.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2013, 20:06   #36
pittarig

Thumbs up Anti Skid Service Required

A huge thank you to all on this forum. I was quoted over £600 to have this put right. I read this forum, contacted Volvo and despite my S40 being 6 years old and using a local garage for services, they are paying 50% towards the bill. Really can't thank you all enough.
pittarig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pittarig For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 21:01   #37
jabba

My anti skid message has just started appesring, along with a reduced performance which is very dodhy when im doing 70 mph in a line of traffic and it suddenly drops its revs, will have to give volvo a ring tomorrow
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 17:43   #38
phatwayne

My Anti-Skid service light came on last week.

2008 S40 with 115k on the clock, 64 months old. Serviced regularly at a local independent garage.

Diagnosis - Brake Control Module was faulty. Error code 0130.

Paid £390.19 at Cecil & Larter in Bury St Edmunds with 50% good will from Volvo.

Having put over 60k on the car in the 23 months I have owned it, this is the first thing (outside of maintenance and worn brake pads / tyres etc) that I have had to shell out for. It's been pretty bulletproof so far.

My only gripe, being quoted £53 to have the software upgraded to turn off Daytime Running Lights, I've probably spent close to £100 in two years on bulbs!
phatwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phatwayne For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 11:00   #39
Kevin Lyons

Quote:
Originally Posted by camevad View Post
I had the Anti-Skid Service light come on 4 monthsago and diagnostic check was done as part of regular service. Fault code said ABS module needed replacing. Car was just out of warranty so had to fork out 1000 euro (ireland) to have it replaced at a main dealer.

Since then I've joind this forum and a lot of people reckoned Volvo should cover the cost. Got on to Volvo and questioned this and they put their hands up and have informed me (I have the email if anyone wants proof) that the main dealer will be reimbursing me for the full cost next week.

That's what these forums are all about folks so all I can say is a HUGE thank you.
Any chance that you can forward me that email to kevinlyons (at) beaumont.ie I am a new member and I am not able to send p.m
I have the same car s40 se 20 diesel and this fault has appeared lately any help in this would be appreciated
Kevin Lyons (Dublin)
Kevin Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 11:17   #40
V50PKR

how did you get on