Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide to Pollen Filter change

Views : 70035

Replies : 201

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2016, 09:23   #71
aneater94

Awesome write up. Your still photos does not reflect the work involved accessing the pollen filter cabin. Obviously VOLVO did not intend this to be serviced by your run of the mill DIY enthusiast. Look forward to you r future write up for the VOLVO S40.

Thanks again.
aneater94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 15:02   #72
v70stu
V60 T6

I did mine on Saturday (along with some home made shims on the AC compressor clutch). About an hour and a bit, being very methodical and drinking plenty of coffee. So, I took my time.
The old filter was horrific! God knows when it was last changed. The difference in fresh airflow now entering the car is amazing. My only advice is take your time, be methodical and ensure the wiring connectors are all replaced firmly and clipped in properly when putting everything back together.
Old May 16th, 2016, 20:02   #73
paddyred
Master Member

Volvo did think it though but for a L/H drive car. If it was L/H drive you just pull the carpet back and it's there!
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:59   #74
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70stu View Post
take your time, be methodical and ensure the wiring connectors are all replaced firmly and clipped in properly when putting everything back together.
Can't stress this enough. This job took me waaaay longer than I'm willing to admit on here. Take your time, there is no part of this job which is actually that difficult technically, it's simply the filter location, how flexible your body is, and your ability to remain calm that make this a pig of a job.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oneilldom For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2016, 17:11   #75
Welton
Premier Member

Indeed, take your time. It looks a bad job and sometimes you feel like giving in but it's perfectly doable for anyone with basic skills. Did mine 2 weeks ago - I reckon I've done it 4 times now I didn't time myself but went in like a madman and I would say 20 mins tops this time.

I don't disconnect the battery but for extra safety it would be worth it in case you short out the CEM wiring somehow (although difficult to do that in reality).
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 14:59   #76
scrumper

Smile

Wow, Thanks Guys. Just did this for the first time on my wife's C30. Disconnected the battery and removed the complete electrical unit. Not too bad after doing that, but would never worked it out without this thread.
scrumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 22:11   #77
Eliginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
Removing the glovebox is actually very easy and doubles your working space!

I literally disconnected everything from the CEM and chucked the unit on the back seat out of the way. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY if you're unplugging stuff from the CEM unit however! You get a horrible beeping noise if you dont.

It's a very fiddly job, but anyone can do it with a basic set of sockets and screw drivers.
The original guide is a great help and photos are fantastic but I couldn't get the CEM down out of the way so I too disconnected the battery and removed it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Good guide, might have a crack at doing it myself, was put off by all the other guides saying to remove the glovebox as froggyted said.

Slightly off topic, does anyone know the part number for that bit of carpet, one of my poppers is broke so it dangles down no matter how many times I try to wedge it up.
The carpet in mine was looking shoddy too so I had a look when I did mine. They call it the "modesty panel", part number: 30672212 I believe. However I couldn't seem to find a UK stockist so gave up. Though to be fair I didn't look all to hard. If you find a decent one let me know.
Eliginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 22:58   #78
Sysyphus

Just did mine in my LHD 2009 C70... managed to drop one of the throttle pedal nuts down beneath the carpet, and quite brilliantly jammed the wingnut behind the filter housing trying to tighten it with my left hand, the only one that I could reach it with... luckily managed to retrieve both...

A couple of grazed knuckles, a bump on the head from the steering wheel, and a sore rib cage from lying on the door sill/rails, but the old one was really filthy, so it was all worthwhile

next time it will be easier I guess, because I will just dismantle the car and rebuild it around the new filter
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 17:14   #79
zac123

If I may just add to this excellent guide.
Take the glove box out completely. It makes the job so much easier by giving you lots more working space.
Disconnect the battery and the disconnect the CEM, again, gives more working space.

And lastly.... Change the glovebox bulb for a bright white led while you're at it!

Rgs
Zac
zac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zac123 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 09:11   #80
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysyphus View Post
next time it will be easier I guess, because I will just dismantle the car and rebuild it around the new filter
So that's where I went wrong with mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac123 View Post
Take the glove box out completely.
Also tried this but couldn't seem to get the glovebox out, no idea what I was doing wrong, seemed like I had all the screws out but just wouldn't budge. Did it by moving the CEM in the end, still in a pain in the arse. Not looking forward to doing it again this year :|

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vaiotag