Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'98 V70 D5252T engine vibrations

Views : 7797

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 21:20   #11
EVOLVOLUTION
VAG 2.5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie390 View Post
The car starts & runs fine, but strangely the mpg dropped dramatically after the belt swap?? .
Just been reading this one-----maybe you've answered your own question----------only a thought---------COL...........
EVOLVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 00:36   #12
Galaxie390

Hi Evolvolution,

I wish it was a straightforward as the can belt, but the vibration was there before I had the belts done.

In my head I was hoping the belt change and re-time would sort it out...no luck!

Thanks for chipping in though, any others ideas?????????

Ta,

Rich
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 19:24   #13
mickeyboy2007

Any luck yet? I tried a little experiment with mine to try and simulate what your experiencing... As mine is a manual, I applied the handbrake and put it in first, raised the clutch until my engine vibrates/ shaking, it went down to near 500 rpm and then was literally shaking the car as it was struggling to run. What's your engine idle speed when it vibrates badly?

I have seen a post elsewhere that mentions replacing the sensor on the injector.

Vadis calls for the car to be plugged in upon changing the cam belt to compare timing against engine tempture tolerance.

Has previous work that has been carried out disturbed one of the many wires and connections to various sensors? I just changed the thermostat on mine, and in doing so broke a small wire near the alternator, producing no error light but the engine is limping at about 50% power it should have, one little wire makes all that difference it seems.

One other thing that could effect the running at idle is a leak in the manifold...
mickeyboy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:17   #14
Galaxie390

Hi Guys,

Knowing the company that did the belt change I would definately thought they would have used the correct procedures.

Another thing cam up the other day though. I met up with 95RN850VOLVO to get a couple of 15" steel rims off him (Thanks!!) for winter tyres. We got talking about this vibration, and he sat in the car and agreed it was far worse than the 850 tdi he used to have.

So, we got looking a little closer, 95RN850VOLVO felt the engine was sitting at the wrong angle. Either the back (bulkhead side) was too high or the front was too low. Gut feeling was the back being too high.

I'm wondering if I somehow fitted the 2 new hydraulic engine mounts in the wrong position. Although they looked identical externally, I wonder if the they had 2 diff part numbers for a reason?

I did notice the wire strap around the front (radiator side) mount was loose enough to slide my finger between it and the body of the mount.

Is anyone else with tdi able to confirm this? If this wire is too loose then it does point the the front mount collapsing (hope not as it was a €100 volvo part that was hell to fit!). This would also explain the gearbox resting back down on the 'bumpstop' under the gearbox again.

Thanks for listening!

Rich
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 11:24   #15
mickeyboy2007

I can take a look on vadis for you, see which one goes where. Will do that in the next day or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to mickeyboy2007 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 17:21   #16
Galaxie390

Hi,

The engine mounts I got were:

Engine pad - V01236222-4 (front)
Engine pad - V09434254-0 (rear)

Both were Volvo genuine parts via a main dealer here in Dublin. I had ask the parts guy to check which part number went were for me as there were no markings. Also nothing to indicate up/ down, so I fitted with the wire loop up and over the tops as per the existing mounts I took off (which I'm fairly sure were the origianl ones).

Thanks,
Rich
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 22:08   #17
mickeyboy2007

This should be all the info you need. I based it on a 1999 v70 tdi auto. See pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wycombe-20121030-00274.jpg (237.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Wycombe-20121030-00275.jpg (249.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Wycombe-20121030-00276.jpg (259.1 KB, 21 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mickeyboy2007 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 22:30   #18
Galaxie390

Hi there,

Thanks for the pics - it's really appreciated!

I looked through and def fitted items 4 & 9 (the engine pads). I didn't fit items 17,27 & 28 as they looked ok.

Not sure of the next step, think I'll post a photo of bush 35 on the engine steady so you can see how's it forced out of position. Which gives more credence to the engine being at the wrong angle.

I aslo need to check if these two mounts below(or engine pads as Volvo call them) are identical or different. Externally they looked the same with a quick visual check, but I'm wondering if there are internal differences.

Mounts fitted

Think I'll try Rufe...

Out of interest, are there any external signs (other than a visible wobble) when a crankshaft damper is starting to breakdown? just wondering...

Ta,
Rich

Last edited by Galaxie390; Oct 30th, 2012 at 22:34.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 22:36   #19
Galaxie390

Ignore my point about there being no up/down indication. I'd forgotten, until I saw the pics from Mickeyboy, you can't fit them any other way...doh!

Rich

PS; it was such a pain the a** job, I'd blanked it out completely ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie390 View Post
Hi,

The engine mounts I got were:

Both were Volvo genuine parts via a main dealer here in Dublin. I had ask the parts guy to check which part number went were for me as there were no markings. Also nothing to indicate up/ down, so I fitted with the wire loop up and over the tops as per the existing mounts I took off (which I'm fairly sure were the origianl ones).

Thanks,
Rich
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 01:31   #20
mickeyboy2007

If you had fitted the front pad to the rear and the rear pad to the front, my suggestion if there was no visual difference to the pads maybe they are of different strength or one a tougher material, internal difference as one side pulls upwards and the other downwards with torque (complete guess, not worked on this myself).

Another total guess stab in the dark, is your bracket 17 bent?