Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possible grenaded engine

Views : 1879

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2022, 12:17   #1
SpannerBasher

Default Possible grenaded engine

Hi, looking for experience you guys have if familiar with this noise (YouTube link at bottom)

After filling up with diesel (full tank at these prices!), my 06 v70 asked for an engine service then lost power - pulled over and couldn't restart it. - fuel was fine, a mate has some of it running his van in trade for fetching me home.

Started 'chuffing' power loss like it dropped a cylinder, service engine came up on the dash then on when attempting restart, sounds like either the dmf failed or it's scored a cylinder to high hell or something.

Unsure if it's spectacularly blown DMF or a cylinder at this point (going to strip injectors then starter motor when I get chance to look into it)

Oil level was fine, mucky as usual for a diesel coming up for service but not gelled up. Anyway, here's the sound of it cranking below.
https://youtube.com/shorts/K9zobS_hikk?feature=share
Did bump off easily and run but screeched plenty so killed it after about a second.
SpannerBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 13:13   #2
SpannerBasher

Update - pulled injectors and no visible epic metallics, just a bit of rust on 1&5 that made scuffed knuckles happen as they were both a cow to remove!
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 14:32   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerBasher View Post
Hi, looking for experience you guys have if familiar with this noise (YouTube link at bottom)

After filling up with diesel (full tank at these prices!), my 06 v70 asked for an engine service then lost power - pulled over and couldn't restart it. - fuel was fine, a mate has some of it running his van in trade for fetching me home.

Started 'chuffing' power loss like it dropped a cylinder, service engine came up on the dash then on when attempting restart, sounds like either the dmf failed or it's scored a cylinder to high hell or something.

Unsure if it's spectacularly blown DMF or a cylinder at this point (going to strip injectors then starter motor when I get chance to look into it)

Oil level was fine, mucky as usual for a diesel coming up for service but not gelled up. Anyway, here's the sound of it cranking below.
https://youtube.com/shorts/K9zobS_hikk?feature=share
Did bump off easily and run but screeched plenty so killed it after about a second.
The video didn’t work for me. Sudden power loss and chugging sound (I would need to hear) could be the long turbo rigid pipe that goes across the engine. They do and will blow seals and when they do lead to the symptoms you describe.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 15:11   #4
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
The video didn’t work for me. Sudden power loss and chugging sound (I would need to hear) could be the long turbo rigid pipe that goes across the engine. They do and will blow seals and when they do lead to the symptoms you describe.
Good thought - had that in a 9-5 Aero once.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 16:08   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

The video works now. Make sure the AUX belt is in good condition and hasn’t slipped off, and that the cam belt is not rubbing on anything (the aux belt can foul it).

Having heard it I am not too sure what’s going on there. Interesting…
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 17:49   #6
SpannerBasher

Update - both belts fine, haven't had the undertray off so far but the rigid pipe underneath doesn't seem cracked/failed after opening it up to check the turbo hadn't bit the bullet/thrown out shrapnel. Still not given it an interrogation on a scanner.

Is there an inspection port on the d5 bell housing for the flywheel or is it a starter out for a peek job?
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 00:27   #7
5cilinder
Premier Member

That sounds like mechanical damage
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 00:52   #8
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Sounds like something is rubbing something but the noise is too slow to be any of the obvious pulleys but I would check that area while it's running anyway, can you not hear the area it's coming from when you have the bonnet open.

The description I'm looking for is it sounds like a circular component that revolves that has now become oval shaped.

Edit, just had another listen, I think that's a split diaphragm somewhere.

Last edited by SnineT; Sep 8th, 2022 at 00:54.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 19:27   #9
SpannerBasher

Still won't crank - might look into the injectors again to see if anything spits to be honest - might need to bump it to get it running again unless it's had an injector that's dumped/had diesel fail to ignite

ECM 7700 - ECM
ECM 6663 - glowplug relay
ECM 2B00 - exhaust temperature
Are the codes, couldn't pull a snapshot so I've cleared them for now.
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 16:14   #10
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerBasher View Post
Still won't crank - might look into the injectors again to see if anything spits to be honest - might need to bump it to get it running again unless it's had an injector that's dumped/had diesel fail to ignite

ECM 7700 - ECM
ECM 6663 - glowplug relay
ECM 2B00 - exhaust temperature
Are the codes, couldn't pull a snapshot so I've cleared them for now.

ECM 7700 - ECM

That's probably the one to focus on as it could be the ECU map has failed. Personally I'd read up on all I can about it and then probably call time on the car tbh. You appear to have reached money pit time with it.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote