Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Accelerator pedal fault code

Views : 3387

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2022, 15:53   #1
IainG
Premier Member

Default Accelerator pedal fault code

Hi All
I have read many posts on here about this code and have a plan.
I was driving along and lost all power, OK to get home though. Plugged in VIDA DICE and had loads of codes, The new one was accelerator pedal CEM-3F93 and ECM 0222. both accelerator signal low. There were also loads of communication errors as well.
I removed the accelerator pedal unit, cleaned the plug with contact cleaner and reassembled. Reset the codes , tried the car and all is well again. All the power is back. However I still have the following codes
CCM 0040 AQ sensor. so happy to leave
ECM 0380 Glow plug Faulty, been there for at least 12 years so happy to leave
ECM 0222 Accelerator pedal sensor signal too low. This is a new one and although the car runs OK again I imagine there is an underlying problem there.

My plan is to replace the housing and pin connectors on the Accelerator plug and also replace the white wire between the Accelerator and CEM (Accelerator analogue signal)
I did check the accelerator signal output in VIDA and had 0.42 volts at idle and the max at full throttle was 3.13 V. VIDA doesn't seem to give the expected values, only it should be between 0.15 Volts and 4.85 Volts, which it is.
Also (because of all the communication error codes) whilst I am soldering the new wires on I thought I would also change the Data wire pins on the 3 plugs on the CEM as this can be a common problem.
Does this seem like a reasonable way forward??
Any thoughts appreciated.
I plan on buying the following
Housing 8690598
Repair terminals 30765498 x 6 for accelerator plug
Repair terminals 30656678 x 7 (one for the white wire and 6 for the data pins)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8672.jpg (351.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8681.jpg (241.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by IainG; Oct 15th, 2022 at 15:57.
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 23:15   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi All
I have read many posts on here about this code and have a plan.
I was driving along and lost all power, OK to get home though. Plugged in VIDA DICE and had loads of codes, The new one was accelerator pedal CEM-3F93 and ECM 0222. both accelerator signal low. There were also loads of communication errors as well.
I removed the accelerator pedal unit, cleaned the plug with contact cleaner and reassembled. Reset the codes , tried the car and all is well again. All the power is back. However I still have the following codes
CCM 0040 AQ sensor. so happy to leave
ECM 0380 Glow plug Faulty, been there for at least 12 years so happy to leave
ECM 0222 Accelerator pedal sensor signal too low. This is a new one and although the car runs OK again I imagine there is an underlying problem there.

My plan is to replace the housing and pin connectors on the Accelerator plug and also replace the white wire between the Accelerator and CEM (Accelerator analogue signal)
I did check the accelerator signal output in VIDA and had 0.42 volts at idle and the max at full throttle was 3.13 V. VIDA doesn't seem to give the expected values, only it should be between 0.15 Volts and 4.85 Volts, which it is.
Also (because of all the communication error codes) whilst I am soldering the new wires on I thought I would also change the Data wire pins on the 3 plugs on the CEM as this can be a common problem.
Does this seem like a reasonable way forward??
Any thoughts appreciated.
I plan on buying the following
Housing 8690598
Repair terminals 30765498 x 6 for accelerator plug
Repair terminals 30656678 x 7 (one for the white wire and 6 for the data pins)
Yes, in all the years I was fixing this problem it was NEVER the pedal . you are going the right way, get the repair terminals from volvo they come with 6 inches of wire already crimped. The white wire goes up under the dash and could be trapped somewhere between dash and body so right, to run a new wire over to the CEM.
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 05:34   #3
IainG
Premier Member

Hi Clan
Thanks, it just seems a way forward after reading all the previous threads with all your info in, especially with all the communication faults logged.

Only a couple of questions
How do the housings come off the plugs on the CEM end, or should it be obvious one the plugs are unplugged,(in order to remove the relevant pins for replacement.)
And
Is there an easy way to remove the "pins" from the connectors at the CEM end without the correct release tool?
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 10:54   #4
pinballdave

The connectors on the CEM are simple to dismantle and don't need any special tools, just a small flat blade screwdriver to release the clips.

Remove the connector from the CEM. Cut the cable tie holding the wires to the connector body.

At the end of the connector body, there are two clips that need to be released, and then the white contact shell will slide out.

Poke a screwdriver into the slots to release the contact, and pull the wires out of the connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEM_connectors.jpg (285.3 KB, 93 views)
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 11:09   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Thank you very much, excellent, ordering the bits tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdave View Post
The connectors on the CEM are simple to dismantle and don't need any special tools, just a small flat blade screwdriver to release the clips.

Remove the connector from the CEM. Cut the cable tie holding the wires to the connector body.

At the end of the connector body, there are two clips that need to be released, and then the white contact shell will slide out.

Poke a screwdriver into the slots to release the contact, and pull the wires out of the connector.
Old Oct 19th, 2022, 21:39   #6
IainG
Premier Member

Hi All
The repair terminals arrived today, only ordered Monday over the phone with FRF. Impressed.
Fitted the new housing and 6 terminals on the accelerator end. I suppose with hindsight the new terminals would have fitted the old housing and saved a tenner.

The car still drives OK but haven't done any codes yet.

Will be doing the CEM end tomorrow and running a new "White Wire" over the top to the accelerator plug (will have to redo one solder joint but easy to access now)
I will clear the codes and take it for a run to see if there is any improvement then retest for codes
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 13:05   #7
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quick question.
Just started on the terminal change and hit a problem.
Has anyone changed the terminals on the CEM Green plug?
I have taken out one terminal but the replacement one seems too small and doesn't lock in the plug properly.

The repair terminals I have are 30656678.
I have just been in contact with Chris at FRF . He has given me another number for repair terminals 30765500.

Has anyone changed these terminals and could they confirm the number of the repair terminals they used.

I am trying to replace the terminals

3 terminals in the green lower plug (coms wires and accelerator analogue wire)
2 terminals in the brown lower plug (coms wires)
2 terminals in the blue top plug (coms wires)
Photo shows new terminal (red wire) against old one. sorry not very good photo but gives general differences between the 2.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8704.jpg (209.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by IainG; Oct 20th, 2022 at 15:08.
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 17:16   #8
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Just a bit more info, this is the type of plug I have.

I believe this green plug is 8676086

Also the blue one I think is 8682666

and the brown one 8682663

The 3 plugs are the "same" just different colours

so if anyone knows the correct repair terminals for these it would be great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8709.jpg (238.7 KB, 17 views)
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 15:38   #9
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
These are slightly better pictures.
The terminal with the red wire is the new one that was ordered and came under the number 30656678.

The other one is the existing terminal I want to replace from the small green plug under the CEM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8718.JPG (372.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8719.JPG (252.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8720.JPG (199.0 KB, 15 views)
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 16:10   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
These are slightly better pictures.
The terminal with the red wire is the new one that was ordered and came under the number 30656678.

The other one is the existing terminal I want to replace from the small green plug under the CEM
well the number is correct but the repair wire is not.