Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

vvt solenoid disconnect

Views : 745

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2022, 12:29   #1
cogs

Default vvt solenoid disconnect

Can anyone help with this problem and how to fix.
Car is a 2002 2litre v40 petrol.
I had a problem with it running really rough on start up, this seemed to appear whether it was hot or cold start but would not be there all the time. 50% of the time it started and run fine the other 50% it would start ok but then either cut out straight away or it would run almost on the point of cut out unless you increased the revs.

I found the problem seemed to be related to the vvt solenoid. I took it off and cleaned it very well and fitted it with a Volvo gasket, I also cleaned the galleries leading into it, checked the wiring and voltage o/p, everything seemed fine and the solenoid triggers OK when a voltage is applied.

The car only has the above problem when the solenoid is connected, I've been running it with it disconnected for over 2000mls and it has been fine, running and starting lovely and giving me 32 -34 mpg but as soon as I reconnect the solenoid the rough running starts.

Other work done:
All pipes fuel and air checked for leaks, cleaned the MAF sensor, new plugs all gabbed correctly, checked the ignition wiring and coil packs. All new filters and oil. Several doses of Redex run through.

I'd happily leave it disconnected but it triggers the malfunction warning light.
Does anyone have any ideas to the cause and fix?
I'd also like to know what is the point of the vvt when it runs sweet without it working is it for emissions?
Thanks.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 11:17   #2
cogs

Can no one offer advice on the above, I have seen posts regarding cleaning the vvt pulley, I wonder if this would help?
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 21:53   #3
magnuz
Ancient

The VVT pulley is prone to wear on these engines. Are you familiar with the noise that the VVT makes when it is worn ?
It also may be worth checking the timing is correct on the belt, if the belt is 1 or 2 teeth out on a sprocket, then that may explain why the problem exists with the solenoid connected ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 09:07   #4
cogs

Thanks, I'm not familiar with the sound a worn Vvt makes but I am familiar with general engine noise and nothing seems out of place. The cars do 120kmls, I am changing the cam belt within the next few days so will check timing.

I'm still not sure what purpose the Vvt serves, my old Avensis had Vvt engine but it never gave me any trouble so never really had to learn much about them.
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 09:26   #5
cogs

I found this on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmRv7esoKxo
and my engine sounds nothing like that.
My engine runs lovely and quiet, well engine quiet anyway no unto wards noises at all and runs lovely with the solenoid disconnected, its just this rough idle I get with the solenoid plugged in that causes trouble.