Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P2 V70 TDI cutting out

Views : 898

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2023, 00:06   #1
BillQQ

Default P2 V70 TDI cutting out

Evening
This afternoon, my P2 V70 TDI cut-out just as I was leaving work. A warning message came up saying that I should drive slowly and it needed an urgent service.

I started it up again but it would cut-out whenever the revs increased about ~1400rpm.

I tried bleeding off a little fuel from the filter, in case it was contaminated with water but no luck so far. In the end I limped back to the carpark at an idle. Whenever it stalls, I'm able to start it without too much trouble, provided that I turn the key all the way back before trying again.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my to try, as it's currently stuck at work and I'm less able than normal to tinker. It is showing as having less than a 1/4 tank of fuel (but no light on) so I could try topping up with a few litres. I could also try replacing the fuel filter.

All the best,

Bill
'96 855 TDI with TT veg oil and 276,000 miles. - Failed cambelt (15/9/2011)
BillQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 19:11   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillQQ View Post
Evening
This afternoon, my P2 V70 TDI cut-out just as I was leaving work. A warning message came up saying that I should drive slowly and it needed an urgent service.

I started it up again but it would cut-out whenever the revs increased about ~1400rpm.

I tried bleeding off a little fuel from the filter, in case it was contaminated with water but no luck so far. In the end I limped back to the carpark at an idle. Whenever it stalls, I'm able to start it without too much trouble, provided that I turn the key all the way back before trying again.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my to try, as it's currently stuck at work and I'm less able than normal to tinker. It is showing as having less than a 1/4 tank of fuel (but no light on) so I could try topping up with a few litres. I could also try replacing the fuel filter.

All the best,

Bill
i think your engine has a viscous vegoil allergy
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 22:48   #3
BillQQ

Default Veg-free

I'd be inclined to agree, but this one hasn't seen a drop of the stuff!

Sadly my veg oil days are behind me and I haven't done the conversion for this car, even though it has the same engine as previous ones. I do miss that 'free motoring' feel and the occasional whiff of sweet veg oil exhaust, but it did result in increased maintenance/issues!

When the engine cuts out (current problem on non-veg V70), it is very abrupt rather than faltering, which I would tend to associate with fuel starvation... I may be incorrect though!

If anyone has any suggestions then all thoughts welcome (well, almost all thoughts - this is the internet after all!)

Best regards,

Bill
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 11:15   #4
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Could this be an electrical issue? Might be worth checking the connections to the injection pump and associated wiring, assuming you haven't done this already.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2023, 09:49   #5
mr tickle

I would start with the easy item first - change the fuel Filter.

The in tank fuel Pump on my V70 Died, apparently it's quite rare but can happen. You should be able to hear the electric motor priming the fuel when you switch the Ignition on for about 10 seconds or so - another easy check to do.
Next, try and get the codes read.

Good Luck
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr tickle For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2023, 18:59   #6
BillQQ

Thanks

It is still stuck in a car park at work but I did start it up again today after reseating some of the relays.

It started well but still had the check engine light. I tried revving it, expecting it to cut-out at 1400rpm again but this time it seemed fine. I drove it around the carpark, but then it abruptly stalled again with the same 'drive slowly warning'. It then started up okay but cut-out again in similar circumstances. When working, it sounded fine and didn't seem limp or fuel-starved but good plan to do the filter anyway. I'll also check more of the fuses and contacts, just in case.

Still need to get it home though!

Best regards,

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to BillQQ For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 16:05   #7
BillQQ

Default Update

Good afternoon

I have an update...

Having arranged for a friend to follow me home one evening, with tow rope at the ready for a speedy recovery, I made it back without any issues.

Last week I finally bought a faux-Dice (actually a Mongoose) interface and have been busy getting Vida working, based upon the guidance on VolvoDiag.com. After a little fiddling about, I was delighted to get it working and be able to read codes and make minor mods to some systems.

The codes thrown-up appear to relate to the engine speed sensor. When a faulty signal was detected, and the conditions were correct for it to be 'potentially believable', the engine was cut. This all sounds plausible, and I guess that it's an intermittent fault.

Having established that it's probably not a major mechanical issue, I've taken it out again for another test drive and so far, no problems.

I've now got to find the sensor and see if it's worth replacing it.

I was also going to have a go with the pump timing, but I think it best to deal with that in a different thread as I've not been able to find the answer to the question I have in the posts I've already looked at.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Best regards

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to BillQQ For This Useful Post:

Tags
stalling, tdi, v70