Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T6 AWD- Ticking/clicking on deceleration/engine breaking

Views : 1102

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2023, 10:32   #11
Baffler
Premier Member

Or possibly the Haldex needs a service? https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=333417

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 10:41   #12
Phil S
2015 V70 T6 AWD

Thanks for that Liam - I might just get that serviced at the same time if it's not the problem.
Phil S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 08:34   #13
Phil S
2015 V70 T6 AWD

The car didn't replicate the problem for the garage - they drove it for quite a while, so they changed the Haldex oil and I went to pick up the car - i drove it for about 30 mins before I drove it home and couldn't replicate the issue either.

On the way home it came back - very frustrating

It's clearly intermittent. It starts on over-run (deceleration at about 30 mph with foot off the accelerator) with a metallic ticking/clicking - very much like a CV joint - but with no vibrations through the steering wheel.

When I accelerate again it's fine, but then foot off the gas and it gets progressively worse, a few cycles of that and it starts to judder - quite severe.

If I bring the car to a dead stop, then when I pull away again it's cured, but then comes back.
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 14:56   #14
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
The car didn't replicate the problem for the garage - they drove it for quite a while, so they changed the Haldex oil and I went to pick up the car - i drove it for about 30 mins before I drove it home and couldn't replicate the issue either.

On the way home it came back - very frustrating

It's clearly intermittent. It starts on over-run (deceleration at about 30 mph with foot off the accelerator) with a metallic ticking/clicking - very much like a CV joint - but with no vibrations through the steering wheel.

When I accelerate again it's fine, but then foot off the gas and it gets progressively worse, a few cycles of that and it starts to judder - quite severe.

If I bring the car to a dead stop, then when I pull away again it's cured, but then comes back.
How very frustrating indeed!

So it's happening after a period of time which would indicate, to me, it's heat related and something is under performing as it approaches operating temp. Are you satisfied it's drivetrain related, as opposed to engine, and do you have any clue as the where the ticking/clicking is emanating from?

What year is the car, Phil? Just wondering if it's Gen 3, 4 or 5 Haldex?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 16:37   #15
Phil S
2015 V70 T6 AWD

It's a 2015 Liam.

I'm pretty sure it's not engine or gearbox as I've taken it out of gear when it's happening and it doesn't stop. The frequency of the noise also does not change with a gear change, it's related to the speed of the car.

I'm looking next to switch off the Haldex system by removing the fuse. The only fuse that I can see, that might be it, is under the glove box - it's number 29, named AWD control module.

I was thinking that if I took the fuse out and continued to drive the car and then did not hear the noise then I've got somewhere in isolating the issue.

What are your thoughts on the theory?
Also - do you happen to know if that is the correct fuse to switch off Haldex?
And is it ok to run the car like that??

Any input appreciated
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 17:43   #16
Baffler
Premier Member

Hmm...certainly points towards the drivetrain doesn't it.

2015 would make it a Gen 5 which means there's no oil filter on the Haldex unit. When changing the oil do you know if the garage removed the pump motor and cleaned its strainer?

No idea which fuse, I'm afraid, I imagine removing the fuse will just stop the control module engaging the pump and clutches which in turn won't engage drive to the rear wheels. It may throw a code and message in the dash but worth a try to rule it out!

Old Nov 26th, 2023, 10:07   #17
Phil S
2015 V70 T6 AWD

just tried taking the fuse out - got an error on the dash saying that ESC needed a service - definitely FWD only though - still getting vibrations.

So - on the positive side that does rule out AWD / Haldex - which is no bad thing

A contact of mine is suggesting now that it might be carrier bearing for the RH drive shaft

It's going to have to go back in - will keep you posted
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil S For This Useful Post: