Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic Dipstick

Views : 8269

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:55   #11
Vecais

From the rising oil level thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic-me View Post
To check the electronic dipstick.
Insert the key, do NOT press the clutch, hit the start button, Engine management comes on, oil level in right hand display, use end button on left stalk to cycle through messages.
I was shown the normal dipstick by the dealer, If I get chance I shall attach a photo, facing the engine, look between the radiator and engine. Low down on the front side of the engine is a light grey plastic dipstick, slightly to the left of the mid point ( 2.4D DRIVEe even though the cover plate says D5 (apparently they only have one cover plate.....))

It has to be diesel or water getting in, there is no "frothing", oil looked nice and clear on the dipstick - so I'm guessing diesel.... there goes the MPG

..MM
Old May 27th, 2010, 22:52   #12
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Does not work. No dipstick either. No jokes please.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 23:00   #13
Vecais

What do you mean? No reading? or can not find dipstick?
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:20   #14
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

As in none of the above worked to get a reading. No visible/accessable dipstick in engine bay either.

Nonetheless, somehow by chance, finally managed to get a readout this morning. Not sure how, but I did. Might have even pressed the start button twice. Reading is at max, but reporting OK. Car has done 750 miles.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:47   #15
Vecais

I notice that you have an auto XC60 and the previous post was instructions for a manual with clutch.

You need to sit in the car and close all doors, tailgate and bonnet so there are no messages in the RH display. Press the start button but do not put your foot on the brake ( so that the car will not start) until you get the display. Use the turn wheel in the LH stalk to cycle through the various readings. One of these should be the oil level.

The physical dipstick is very low down on the front face of the engine. You can reach it if you stand at the centre front of the car. It helps if you are a double-jointed contortionist with long spindly arms.

BTW take care in replacing it so that you don't get oil splashing all over, the subject of another thread.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 18:33   #16
janem

Default Where can i check electronicaly the oil level?

I have an xc 60 M2011, D5 automatic gearbox.
I seem not to be able to electronically check the oil level.
Have ran through the threads in this forum already and no thread seem to resolve my question: Where can i check electronicaly the oil level (electronic dipstick)
thanks.
janem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 21:11   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janem View Post
I have an xc 60 M2011, D5 automatic gearbox.
I seem not to be able to electronically check the oil level.
Have ran through the threads in this forum already and no thread seem to resolve my question: Where can i check electronicaly the oil level (electronic dipstick)
thanks.
Firstly the oil level readout disappears when the engine is running , you need just the ignition on and no engine running .
firstly cancel any messages by pressing the READ button until you get the DSTC ON message or any of the trip computer functions then use the scroll wheel to scroll each function , you get all the trip computer readouts one after the other then the DSTC ON message and next should be the oil level meter ... It will all be in the owners handbook .
If it isnt in your handbook you have missed the recall for modified handbook! see your dealer .
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 11:56   #18
janem

I tried unsuccesfully.
I have the sensus system, so the "DSTC on" is not on the boerd computer but somewhere in the sensus system.
All I get is "No messages" when i press the contact button (without starting the engine)
janem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 12:52   #19
Brodick
Master Member

You need to put the key in (unless you have keyless start)push and hold the start/stop button - the lights will come on and the onboard computer fires up.
I think the first thing that shows is the oil level.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 16:41   #20
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post
You need to put the key in (unless you have keyless start)push and hold the start/stop button - the lights will come on and the onboard computer fires up.
I think the first thing that shows is the oil level.
Provided that you have selected the oil level indication from the rotary message selection switch. It normally shows as a blank option and only works when you have not started the engine.