Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Request for alignment scan

Views : 1040

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 18:21   #1
spyda

Default Request for alignment scan

I am looking to appeal to the good nature of someone with an S40 who has had a 4-wheel alignment done and is satisfied with the result.

I am booked to see the people that did mine tomorrow as I am not convinced that the measurements that they have set up are right.

What I would love to take with me is a scan from someone who has had the same alignment carried out to compare the measurements between the two cars.

I am aware that they may differ slightly but still, the measurements should be within tolerence.

I have a 2.0 T SE 1999

I am scheduled there for 9am so would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could supply the above this evening so that I can get it together for my appointment.

Thanks.
spyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 20:23   #2
soro

Spyda,

I cant post pictures here... but will try to e-mail you a photo of my alignment report...
soro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 20:24   #3
spyda

Cheers - PM me if you have problems and need direct email addy.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 20:32   #4
soro

I uploaded it on the webshots... However my car is S40 T4 with standard suspension - so it may differ from your alignment but will give you some idea. Cheers

[IMG][/IMG]
soro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 23:24   #5
spyda

Thanks ... that confirms my suspicion that the left and right sides should be pretty much equal (give or take)

... and mine are certainly not equal!

I will speak to the place that aligned mine tomorrow and see where we go from there.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 22:02   #6
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Come on, don't keep us in suspense....What happened?
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 08:45   #7
spyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishvolvo View Post
Come on, don't keep us in suspense....What happened?
Well they set it up again for m, this time the measurements being very different and almost equal on both side ... and credit to them they didn't charge again.

But ...

It's still the bloody same. I STILL get the pulling so I am pretty sure this is not an alignment thing now.

I went to three more garages on Saturday for an opinion; all of which looked at the car thoroughly and all of which had no idea what was the cause of the pull.

I am seriously miffed at this now and have totally run out of patience :-(
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:54   #8
Simon P

Are all the suspension components and bushes good and tight? The 4-wheel alignment aligns all 4 wheels relative to one another when the car is stationary, and "sitting down" on the suspension. In a dynamic situation, when driving, if there are loose bushes then maybe some components misalign causing the pull?

I had similar problems with my V40 until I had the trailing arm bushes replaced (and arms, but that's another long story). When the car was sitting on it's suspension, there was no apparent play, it was only when the weight was taken off the rear, that you could see the movement (forward and aft) of the whole arm, and therefore it's position relative to the other wheels, which was causing a general wander.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 15:42   #9
spyda

All the suspension bushes and components are fine ... they have been looked at by a number of garages and although one has identified the rear trailing arm bushes as being in need of replacement, I have been advised that it's not essential to get this done immediately as it VERY unlikey that this would be the cause of the problems I am seeing.

Everybody ... and I mean everybody is perplexed by this. I have been to no less that eight garages (the ones I can remember) and I am STILL no further on in getting this resolved.

I either need someone to take a look and say yes this is what's wrong, this is what you need ... or I need to get shut!

Seems a shame to get shut for this though. The body is good, I have had the car several years and I know it's history so I am reluctant to take a chance on another 2nd hand one.

Really am getting to that stage though now :-(

Last edited by spyda; Mar 21st, 2008 at 15:45.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 15:43   #10
spyda

Mods - please delete this post - duplicate post in error.

Last edited by spyda; Mar 21st, 2008 at 15:45.