Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering wheel position sensor replacement?

Views : 434

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2024, 16:08   #1
nedqlkow

Default Steering wheel position sensor replacement?

Hello,
First of all, the basic information - the car is a 2005 S60.
For some time now when turning the steering wheel to the maximum and especially to the right, I started getting Anti Skid Service Required, which after turning it off and starting it again, changes to Anti Skid Temporary Off, which in turn goes off after 10-15 seconds of driving and so on until next time.
It happens most often while parking.

Therefore, I decided to drive the car and have it diagnosed with VIDA, as a result of which I received 2 errors, which are also visible in the picture - BCM-0109 Communication between control units communicational problems with SAS, internal fault, and SAS-000E Steering wheel angle internal fault.

According to the technician who did the diagnosis, the steering wheel position sensor needs to be replaced. In the official representation of the brand in Bulgaria, where I live, I received a price for its replacement in the amount of about 500 dollars.

At the same time, I have an offer elsewhere for about $150 for a recycled sensor to be installed.

I would like to ask you what you would advise me?

Last edited by nedqlkow; Feb 11th, 2024 at 16:11.
nedqlkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 17:07   #2
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Default Hi.

If you can afford to pay for new plus labour then yes.
If you can`t afford new then the second-hand way . It is for that person to provide the suitable working part and not for you to keep buying old parts until he finds one that works .
You could perhaps fit the part yourself and just have the technician calibrate it for you . This way would be better with a new part .
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 19:53   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

i would first check that it has no broken wiring and that it is still fixed an not come loose before parting with any money.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 14:56   #4
nedqlkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
If you can afford to pay for new plus labour then yes.
If you can`t afford new then the second-hand way . It is for that person to provide the suitable working part and not for you to keep buying old parts until he finds one that works .
You could perhaps fit the part yourself and just have the technician calibrate it for you . This way would be better with a new part .
Hello,
Thank you for your detailed answer.
I can afford the amount to buy a new one, but for the standards in my country, that amount is huge and I don't feel like doing it, so I'm seriously considering a recycling option.

Aside from disconnecting the battery before starting anything and waiting for all the sensors to "sleep" is there anything else unusual during the process to look out for?
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 14:57   #5
nedqlkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
i would first check that it has no broken wiring and that it is still fixed an not come loose before parting with any money.
Unfortunately, my own skills are not at such a level that I would undertake to do something like this myself, that is, I will trust someone who has done it before and hope to get information from them about the current state.

At the moment I only get the above mentioned errors at maximum positions of the steering wheel, the rest of the time I have no problem.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 15:15   #6
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Default Hi again.

Best to look at youtube . There are good videos showing how to do and what to watch out for.
Which suspension system is fitted to your car ? I can see you have DSTC because of the DTC = BCM-0109 . If you have active suspension sometimes that causes SAS errors at the extreme steering range.
I would expect the Steering Module to have failed completely and not at extreme range . Are you sure that it doesn`t just need calibrating ?
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 16:49   #7
nedqlkow

Quote:
Best to look at youtube . There are good videos showing how to do and what to watch out for.
Which suspension system is fitted to your car ? I can see you have DSTC because of the DTC = BCM-0109 . If you have active suspension sometimes that causes SAS errors at the extreme steering range.
I would expect the Steering Module to have failed completely and not at extreme range . Are you sure that it doesn`t just need calibrating ?
I've watched a lot of videos, but I'd rather have it done by someone more skilled than me.

It first appeared about 2 years ago when I parked the car with the steering wheel turned almost to the maximum in one direction. From then on, it appeared sporadically, once every few months.

Recently, it appears almost every time the steering wheel is turned as far as possible to the left or right, mainly when parking.

I'm not sure if we're talking about a calibration or a problem that's progressing.
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 22:33   #8
marcb
Master Member

This is a very common fault.
If you are just getting the anti-skid service message that you can switch off on the info button you can just live with it.
I've not bothered to change the sensor on our V70 as a service message is not an MOT fail (our roadworthy test in the UK).
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 21:00   #9
pupley

Quote:
Do you have any further info regarding the suspension relation on this fault? I am sort of starting a little sideline reconmditioning and supplying these sensors by acquiring faulty ones, tearing them down cleaning and recalibrating the analog photoresistors on the internal PCB. Just looking to build my knowledge on these so any info on what to look for for regarding the suspension connection would be helpful. I do have VIDA etc.
pupley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 21:01   #10
pupley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedqlkow View Post
I've watched a lot of videos, but I'd rather have it done by someone more skilled than me.

It first appeared about 2 years ago when I parked the car with the steering wheel turned almost to the maximum in one direction. From then on, it appeared sporadically, once every few months.

Recently, it appears almost every time the steering wheel is turned as far as possible to the left or right, mainly when parking.

I'm not sure if we're talking about a calibration or a problem that's progressing.
Did you end up getting this sorted out?
pupley is offline   Reply With Quote