Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise Control

Views : 4243

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 20:58   #1
swells

Hello there.
The cruise control on my 98 V70R seems to be inoperative. Can anybody out there suggest where I might start looking for a (hopefully) cheap and easy remedy. It's not that I need it or use it regularly, but it would be nice to have it fully functioning. I knew my way around my old 240GLT estate, but this new technology gets the better of me!

Thanks in anticipation,
Steve.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:49   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Cruise Control

Check any of the associated vacuum hoses haven't come off.

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2002, 19:01   #3
swells

Thanks for that, but now I need to know which vacuum hoses I ought to be looking for!
The Haynes manual is pretty vague in these matters - even more so than I am! - so any help would be greatly appreciated. My local dealer wants to charge me an hours(minimum)labour at £60 or so just to try and diagnose the problem. It seems the days of "OK, let's just have a quick look for you" are sadly over.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old Jun 27th, 2002, 20:23   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Default RE: Cruise Control

Not too familiar with the V70, but if the system is similar to the 850 I would have a look round the brake pedal at the switches and vacuum dump valve situated there. Also look for blown fuses.

Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2002, 21:35   #5
volvo850t5

I have an 850 with the same problem. As previously mentioned check around the brake pedal for a broken switch also under the battery tray you will find the hoses meeting. You will have to remove the battery tray to get to it.
You might want to try the American Volvo site at
www.brickboard.com
and search for cruise control, I think from memory there are a few posts about the same problem.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 20:20   #6
swells

Problem solved!
Thanks for the tips – it was the switch on the brake pedal. It had become slightly dislodged in its bracket and so was not closing fully, making the system think the pedal was being depressed, therefore not allowing the cruise control to kick in.
If you have trouble with yours, it might be worth checking that this switch is in place – it’s the one directly below the brake light switch. Another factor could be excessive play in the brake pedal shaft/servo rod linkage.
There seems to be no return spring on the brake pedal, so the only thing that appears to return the pedal to its normal position is the pressure exerted on it by the brake servo. With time and use it is possible that the hole in the servo operating rod that accepts the brake pedal shaft linkage, or the end of the linkage itself, could become worn. This would give enough excessive play at the pedal to keep the cruise control switch in the ‘open’ position, so preventing operation. ( A solution to this could be to
fix a thin sliver of suitable material to the end of the cruise switch, effectively making the switch rod longer so that it reaches the brake pedal).
One way to check on this is by lifting the brake pedal up with your foot and then trying the cruise control. If it works with the pedal lifted, then you have too much play in the linkage, or excessive wear on the end of the switch rod.
Once you have a look at the area around the brake pedal it’s easy to see where the vacuum hoses may have come adrift as well, so it’s worth having a ferret about down there.
Thanks for the help, and that’s now another area of the V70 I’ve got to know a bit better, and saved me at least £60!
Steve.