Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 2.4TGT convertible tuning/modification q

Views : 4277

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:54   #1
geoffshilton

Default C70 2.4TGT convertible tuning/modification q

Bought a new C70 convertible auto last week. Great car but want to upgrade the looks and power. It has the GT pack and sits on 17" standard alloys
Can anyone advise me on lowering springs ( ideally 40mm) which won't loosen my fillings on the potholed Hampshire & Dorset roads I travel to work on every day. Also would like to fit some 7.5 x 19" wheels( or larger ?)to complement the lowered stance but wondering if these will foul the arches with the lowered springs fitted. My local tuning shop cannot help with the info and the supplying dealer threw his hands up in horror at the mention of modifications!

PLUS
How can I cheaply upgrade the current 193HP? If it has to be a chip upgrade, does anyone have experience of a re-chip which works and doesn't cost a fortune.
First time on the site. Hope someone can help me. Thanks everyone
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:37   #2
alexzoutsos

Default RE: C70 2.4TGT convertible tuning/modificatio

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to the club! Hope you like your new baby.

Unless you got it because of tax reasons?! why an earth did you buy a 2.4T over a T5 if you wanted performance?

Don't get me wrong the 2.4T is a lovely quick engine but the T5 is the real sports car version, capapble of sub 6 sec 0-60 times.

But you have it now so that's not what you want to hear!

There are lots of options available, start at www.kalmar-union.com for some good advice with regards to the lowering springs. They will run you around £180 incl vat for just the springs.

The largest wheels you'll find comfortable are most likely 18"s, which again were available from Volvo as factory fit items.

As for chip upgrades....yes its quite cheap for the power gains, yes there is lots of info on the net, but..wait for a few thousand miles huh..learn the car, learn how it drives, where the engine lacks, if you don't mind the exhaust note etc.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for tuning Volvos, but I think it would be a real mistake to go and upgrade the car without really KNOWING it beforehand. Just my opinion though.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:16   #3
geoffshilton

Thanks for that Alex.
Hear what you are saying and now wish I had waited for a new T5 but got impatient and bought my boggo one just 10 days ago from Fawcetts in Newbury, Berks as it was the only one I could get from new stock and I also quite liked the metallic black with beige soft leather. Got offered one new cancelled order T5 in saffron but don't like the colour. The salesman did a good job on me I suppose and I believed him when he said there wasn't that much difference between mine and a T5. Never trust a car salesman!!
Previous car was a 225bhp Audi TT which had to go due to lack of rear legroom for the two kids I have though miss the 6 sec 0-60.
Car has done 1800 miles already and I do definitely need a power upgrade particularly as its an auto. On Wheels, will wait a week or two to make a choice but will keep hoping for 19" as the car, although handsome, needs big stuff in the arches to complete the look.
Thanks for your help. Will let you know how I get on.
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 22:47   #4
alexzoutsos

Geoff,

This is a 30mm (roughly I think - I'm sure the owner can correct me!) lowered car, running on Volvo 18" rims

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alexzoutsos/c70.jpg

You'll learn to love the C70..a stock T5 can gobble up those TTs you know..well after 60mph perhaps, and your light pressure turbo will too, with a few mods :)

Have a look at www.tme.com (imported by www.swecartuning.com) as they have a fair bit of info on their ECU upgrade for the 2.4T.

As your car will be running ME7, the latest computer system, the upgrade from TME has only just come out and you will find many others aren't offering it yet. But TME certainly do have a good reputation.

Nice to see another C70 in the club and hopefully you might be able to make it along to one of our meetings in the future..although do be prepared for a few jokes about the TT (just kidding :))
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 22:51   #5
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

To start with, get the strut brace advertised above, or another one from your dealer - it'll fit straight on as the C70 at PE had the identical one to mine.

Remember to ask your dealer for the VOC discount for any non-service parts...

The brace will transform the turning precision, and be even better with lower profile rubber and harder springs.

Of course you will get horrendous scuttle shake as you start doing all the lowering stuff, so be warned.

Chips are over-rated as a solo performance upgrade, they should be part of a holistic approach to improving the breathing and the exhaust, modifying the forced induction and optimising all the "in the box" ECU settings before you start going to extremes.

I'd also be careful about very wide wheels, the C70's turning circle is pitiful as standard; making it worse will restrict you to motorways!
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 23:11   #6
alexzoutsos

You wanted 19s..here they are :)

Found this off a thread on swedespeed.com by chance..

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alexzoutsos/c70-19.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alexzoutsos/c70-192.jpg

You are looking at roughly £1100 for ECU, cat-back exhaust (essential to stop cat overheating) and K&n filter by the way.
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 23:00   #7
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

jeez! how thin are those tyres?! 25-profile?!

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:54   #8
geoffshilton

MANY THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND. WILL CHECK OUT THE WEB ADDRESSES YOU REFER TO AND LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FINALLY DO WITH THE POWER. WASN'T AWARE THAT THERE WERE MEETINGS BUT WOULD MAKE THE EFFORT IF NOT TOO FAR AWAY FROM ME IN BOURNEMOUTH.
Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:04   #9
geoffshilton

SIMON
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. THE STRUT BRACE SEEMS LIKE A GREAT IDEA. I HAVE ALREADY NOTICED THE STEERING WHEEL DANCING THE RUMBA WHEN PRESSING ON THROUGH CORNERS OR EXITING TIGHT ROUNDABOUTS AT SPEED SO HOPEFULLY THAT WILL SORT THE WOBBLERS OUT. CAN'T SEE THE "ADVERTISED ABOVE" LINK YOU REFER TO SO DO YOU KNOW THE MAKE YOU HAVE IN MIND?
DON'T WANT TO GO FOR WIDE TYRES , JUST A LOWER PROFILE TO COMPENSATE FOR THE INCREASE IN WHEEL DIAMETER. A 235 WOULD BE PREFERRED CHOICE AND SOME YOKOHAMAS HAVE BEEN RECOMMENDED SO MIGHT GIVE THEM A TRY WHEN THE WHEELS ARE FINALLY SOURCED. FINALLY, THANKS FOR THE TIP ON VOC DISCOUNT.