Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power Engineering Videos!!

Views : 1901

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 20:07   #1
alexzoutsos

Hey everyone!

Hope all that attended today had a good time!

I have some vids of the cars at

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alexzoutsos/dyno/index.htm

Enjoy!

See you all soon and Phil get those figures from today up on your site! :)
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:16   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Power Engineering Videos!!

Hi Alex.

Good to meet you mate. :-)
I bet you are pleased with your car! 297 wasn't it?
Not bad at all me old mucker!

I have taken my car straight round to the dealers this morning, and although he wasn't too animated about it, He never is, he is going to replace the MAF sensor under warranty and I can then try again.
I am going to aim for 220 this time as long as the MAF sensor fixes the fuelling!

My mates Supra is an imported one, so it SHOULD only be putting out 280BHP at the flywheel, however 2 guys from this country have had it before him and one of them has obviously had the boost raised from 10psi to 15psi, hence the 366BHP at the flywheel.
You might want to amend your note on your vid, as the guy at P.E. reckoned that it was pushing the limit of their rolling road and was probably more likely putting 310-320 down to the wheels!

Anyway, good day was had by all, me included, even considering that my car is very sick! (*glad I went now!!*) and we apologise to you all for not being able to stay for the pub 'imbibing session', but we had a fair old way to travel back and I had an appointment at 17:00 anyway.

Hope to do it again sometime, and Tim, remember to let me know what they do about your fuelling!
What was your T4 putting out again? I cannot remember.

Later all,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:51   #3
alexzoutsos

Hey Dan,

Good to meet you too.

Mine was about 280bhp at the crank, not bad considering!

Hope that MAF sensor gets it sorted..lean = not good!

Damn I didn't realise how powerful that Supra was, I only saw it when it said 266 at the wheels, but they were still testing...I will amend :)

If a 3.0 litre 6 cylinder twin turbo supra can push that, why oh why does the 2.9 litre twin turbo inline 6 'T6' only push 290 :(

I do have some vid of yours Dan, I'll just have to find and convert it :)
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:07   #4
gareth

I can't see how the supra was pushing their rolling road to the limits..

It's designed to handle 750 bhp...

I would be nice though to break a rolling road by having to much power :)

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:46   #5
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Alex.
It will be good to see my car getting the a*se revved off it on your site. Look forward to seeing it.
Hopefully the MAF sensor is the root cause. The guys at P.E. were pretty sure that is what it was, and they say they see it on Imprezas all the time but not very often on cars like mine.
Anyhow they are the experts and I trust their judgement as they weren't telling me that and then trying to sell me the cure. Always a good sign.

Hi Gareth.
I think their rolling road is only good for 750BHP if it has both ends of it utilised, as in 375BHP at both ends of the car so both sets of rollers are used.

As the Supra was pushing out 366 at the rear, then it was pretty close!
Mind you they definitely said that the limit was being neared, and as they cannot do a reliable test for Wheel horsepower on an auto, they suggested that the more likely wheel figure was 310-320BHP.

Having driven said car as well, I can vouch for the fact that your face actually changes shape when you floor it! :-)

Still I would have been happy with the 217BHP my car was putting out with my mods, Had it not misbehaved. It was still putting out 207BHP completely stock, so there is hope, once it knows the correct amount of air that is being drawn in.

Later dudes,
Dan.
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 13:30   #6
alexzoutsos

It's interesting actually because there was a chap there with a stock V70 T5 (red one) which put out 245bhp, so it seems on average Volvo do underestimate their power outputs a bit.

Perhaps its all that Optimax :)
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 13:38   #7
tporteruk

Hi Dan,

Glad you made it home OK - trust you stuck some super in as soon as possible! My T4 made 244bhp but a whopping 275lb/ft torque! It goes in on Thursday to get an adjustable fuel controller fitted to stop it running too lean.I'll give you some feedback when it's done. PE seemed to think this would cure the problem and allow me to carry on with the 1.2bar boost.
I loved your mate's Supra. Thought it was a jap spec but didn't want to say anything. The UK spec Supra's have an air scoop in the bonnet I think. Tell him to go easy!
Cheers.

Tim S40 T4
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 15:56   #8
Dan F
Premier Member

Cheers Tim.

Remind me of where you got your exhaust from as I think I want to order one. I also think that it is more responsible for your increased power than anything else, as I was running at 1.2Bar as well (when I arrived anyway!) and I was 'only' getting 217BHP out. The exhaust must *really* help the gas flow. Yours is cat back is it not?

I will pass on your regards to Salvatore.
Amazing how a 3.0 I6 with twin turbos can make 366 running just 1 bar! Mind you you cannot beat the bottom end AND top end boost you get with that setup!

I will be interested to hear the results of your fuel controller.

Later,
Dan.

S40 T4 CD (poorly :-( )
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 16:23   #9
tporteruk

Got it from TME.com - at the time exchange rate was really good so the difference paid for the shipping. It is just cat back. Don't do what I did - when I carried the packaged exhaust to the car to transport to the garage I smacked it into a wing a dented it...oops! The other thing which I need to solve is the Van Aarken chip which I was using. It obviously wasn't fuelling the car properly so what the hell is it doing. I am going to PE because they seem to be pretty genuine!
Cheers
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 16:29   #10
gareth

For those guys with mega fast internet connection...

Alex has send me the video's (Hi-res) and i will post them on

www.m3euro.com

over the next few days. Hopefully tonight...

I was well chuffed with the Volvo's output and mine as well...

They've talked me into a NOS install for the M3 so next month I'll be booking her in...

I would be nice to see a UK T5 with NOS... Any takers :)

Gareth