Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1966 Volvo Amazon engine transplant!

Views : 23676

Replies : 145

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2015, 14:15   #111
Underdrive

I can't lay my hands on my copy of the testers manual at the moment but basically if a fundamental part of the vehicle's construction has been altered from original spec then it is up to the testers discretion to assess, and should then pass/fail or to cover their backsides request written assurance of suitability from a qualified engineer. This is a common problem faced by builders of custom cars and a look round some forums may help with possible alternatives to what you are trying to do and maybe some tips on how to keep your MOT man happy.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 16:34   #112
Melody121

So yesterday I did some more cutting, I removed the rot from the passenger side and run a flap wheel over the drivers side to assess the condition.
Straight away there is a hole that was covered by the accelerator pedal mount but other than that some messy but acceptable previous repairs is all I found.
That night after Phil finished work he confirmed just the section up to the hole would need removing, so a little less than the passenger side.

Here are photos of the bulkhead from the inside once I'd done for the day...

So the plan today was to cut out the last little bit and get some bars in there.
Then my friend's beady eye spotted a serious problem....
The panel gap between the top of the wing and the door had closed... Sh!t!!

The pic probably looks worse than it is as the panel gaps on this car are horrendous to start with but it's closed up about a mil.

On Phil's instruction I have jacked under the edge of the wings to support it and open the gaps back up a bit, checked the opening and closing of each door in turn and now she sits with all doors firmly closed until Phil can get home from work and cast an expert eye over it. Then, if it's not FUBAR, weld some structural ridigity back in before any more work is done.

The doors operation is unchanged however, although that's a good sign, I now sit holding my breath and praying this isn't curtains for poor Olga
Melody121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 20:04   #113
Melody121

My little panic is over, it's not moving too much and although it still got a little flex, were heading the right way now.

Today with my friend we welded in some of the new bulkhead, it was a bugger cause we happened to get smashed last night playing shot Jenga, so imagine welding and grinding in a cramped uncomfortable place with a headache and feeling a bit sick.... Oh well

We left the second vertical brace out as the hole behind the pedals needs to be cut out and new metal put in first, but I think the next job will be finishing the passengerside to make it strong again anyway.

Then we pretty much finished off the gearbox mount. The centre plate is welded on and it just needs a lick of paint and some threaded bar to link it to the casting on the gearbox. For now it is doing a fine job of holding up the box.... I was too hungry to make more of an effort with the photo I'm afraid so this will have to do till I take it off again for paint

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2015, 11:21   #114
Melody121

Yesterday i had a busy afternoon. I made a patch for the outside of the bulkhead and tacked it in place. I've started making the inner and side too but ran out of time before I had to go and meet our wedding photographer... But thats booked so yay

Here are some piccies.... Apologies for the rubbish welding. I rarely get a go and this was the first time I tried anything on my own so I forgot to turn the gas on, hence the burnt look, HaHa! Dummy!

This bit will plate the inside where the box section is.

Now I just need to make sure this rains gone for the afternoon before I drag all the electricals back outside, the forecast is looking ok I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2015, 12:04   #115
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Just weld clean metal to clean metal and you'll find it much easier to weld. Weld through primer is only needed at the back of parts that you can't get to after welding to paint properly. Also just put a V prep in when butt welding and you'll get 100% penetration and not have to have the amps up as high so less distortion.

Last edited by Burdekin; May 29th, 2015 at 12:09.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 12:47   #116
Melody121

Thanks for the tips, I'll only put the weld through on the back of stuff then. It'll save me money too cause that stuff is expensive!
I won't be doing the welding though. My other half has been welding for 10 years, he just doesn't have a lot of time so I'm doing everything up to tacking the panels in place. I've got about half an hours welding under my belt and can't reliably do strong welds yet!

Last edited by Melody121; May 29th, 2015 at 12:50.
Old May 30th, 2015, 20:34   #117
Melody121

Did some welding today.. Not me so the gas got turned on this time two patches down 6 to go!

Old May 31st, 2015, 05:57   #118
Melody121

Just a little welding vid cause i could

https://youtu.be/70BVB5Zpf7Y
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:16   #119
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Wear a hat? a stray spark would really make you jump. Try making a small circle with the gun to do the plug in one go. Other welders might care to comment on that. Well done, you look confident, and that's what matters.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:05   #120
V70 Geoff
A Volvo is essential

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody121 View Post
Just a little welding vid cause i could

https://youtu.be/70BVB5Zpf7Y
Reading through your reports does make me feel a little better about my own Amazon project, currently about two years and £5k down the road with more to do. Every time I have taken something apart it has required replacing so almost all the mechanicals are now new and the structure is stronger than when it was manufactured. Rebuilt gearbox, axle, brakes and suspension so far and a B20 engine with new clutch, alternator, fuel pump, fuel tank etc. Now why do we do these things when I have a perfectly lovely trio of more modern Volvos outside to choose from?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 286.jpg (284.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4783.jpg (205.9 KB, 20 views)
V70 Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote