Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stranger Registering my XC60!

Views : 1619

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:40   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydy76 View Post
A trustworthy seller (which I'm 100% mine is) and a HPI Check won't stop someone Cloning your pride an joy 6 months down the line, which was my original point.
No I understand that nothing can stop anyone from attempting to clone but I still fail to see what the problem is.
Someone has applied for a logbook for your car, so you tell the DVLA, "no", which means that if there is some mysterious copy car up to no good, it won't be linked to you.
Where's the hassle in putting "no" on a form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
My ex-neighbour had similar a few years ago with a car that she had purchased and that she had a sales receipt for. It turned out that the seller had used the car as security on a loan upon which he had defaulted after the car was sold and the as the loan company actually had a lien the sale to my neighbour was in effect fraud.

The loan company offered to sell the car to her if she cleared the debt and after a lot of legal arguing she settled at a much reduced amount.
As for this situation, if the neighbour had followed correct buying procedure, she wouldn't be out of pocket, so her own fault.

There are systems and procedures there to help and protect you when buying used.
If anyone can't be bothered to follow them, they really have no cause to complain.
If the original poster has taken these precautions, there'll be no hassle other than putting no on the DVLA form.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 22:16   #12
Lloydy76
SUV Tastic

Thanks Cheshirered5 not sure if you're Shooting people down or building them up!
I took precautions in that I fully Sussed out and with gut feel also, trusted the seller. original Volvo receipt always helps.

not everyone takes the necessary checks and do get suckered in to what is a stressful situation where they maybe not comfortable asking probing direct questions. not sure if all the hpi checks are all that much cop and seen numerous examples where they have failed to deliver or fully protect.

My point was one of simple awareness of the brazen brass neck that some people exhibit in trying to get vehicle identity. If u dont respond in 14 days and they're smart enough to time it right DVLA will process the rogue claim as if it's legit which is in itself not good. With a v5 presumably they can get keys coded to the original vehicle as with the well publicised BMW cloned key car thefts. This maybe a little dramatic but it doesn't take much for it develop.

This is from the people who lost 120,000 blank v5's and sold our details to marketing firms for dosh so I'm not placing enormous trust in them!

I phoned DVLA on Monday as required in their letter. The guy I spoke to said the letter should have had tick boxes (which it didn't) and couldn't get their letter to view on his system and that I had to respond in writing.
Today with the letter as aide memoir spoke to their case team, this time to a clued-up individual who is hoofing back the rogue application and reporting it to their police investigation team who pursue these individuals (hopefully with great success).
While its not been a major stress it certainly keeps you suspicious of folk.
Lloydy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 23:21   #13
MickyG1982

My parents had this problem too when they bought their car a (new at the time in 1996) Renault Laguna Estate. The Dealership registered it under one registration, which turned out to have already been taken. They then had to re-register the car under a completely new (& this time correct) registration. The only reason my parents found out about it was the rather formal letter that the DVLA sent to them

Goes to show you that it's not always the buyers fault. Dealers can **** up too...
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 23:37   #14
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Has your car been parked up somewhere for any long time period, I saw a programme a few years ago about traffic wardens doing a scam where they applied to register vehicles that had been lying in the same place for a week or two, typically motorcycles, they apply for paperwork for the vehicle, if nobody challenges it the dvla send them new docs for it and it is then technically theirs to pick up.
The DVLA only identify you as the registered keeper ownership can be hard to establish it's a crap system.!
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 03:31   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

I wouldn't say I'm building up or knocking down.
You're right that it is so easy for criminals to attempt to get one over on the unsuspecting but it doesn't just apply to cars.
That's life and everyone is able to take the precautions, or buy the insurances that are available to them.
Unfortunately, many do not.
I'm ok with car buying as I've bought over 1000 without incident.
When I say without incident, I mean without any financial loss.
A few, (maybe 20) tried to pull a fast one on me but my precautions and systems weeded them out.
I completely sympathise with folk who find car buying a minefield as there are certain purchases that I find daunting and know nothing about and may get ripped off.
House buying was my big one.
I could save bundles by going the private sale route and missing out the experts available but I daren't, so I choose the route appropriate for me, which costs me more but I'll sleep easy.
There are different tiers of car buying too.
Buy an approved used car from a franchised main dealer and you can pretty much close your eyes and not ask any awkward questions about previous ownership or outstanding finance or whether it's written off. In most cases, the dealer's desire to protect their reputation alone will stop you getting fleeced. But this peace of mind costs you.
So if you want a bargain, you have to step down a few rungs and keep your wits about you.
If that's too daunting or not simple enough, then don't take the risk.
Or take the risk, get your bargain but don't bleat when it all goes wrong.

And when I say "you" I don't mean you.

As it is, none of your problem is to do with the purchase.
On the bright side, you're only having to deal with one organisation to sort your problem.
These, crims could have just put your plates on their car and robbed banks, racked up speeding fines, carried out a gangland hit or who knows what and you'd have been none the wiser until plod carted you off.

Unfortunately, the system for applying for a logbook needs a reg no. and chassis which are available to anyone walking past.
Until that changes, we will always have this problem.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 03:37   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyG1982 View Post
My parents had this problem too when they bought their car a (new at the time in 1996) Renault Laguna Estate. The Dealership registered it under one registration, which turned out to have already been taken. They then had to re-register the car under a completely new (& this time correct) registration. The only reason my parents found out about it was the rather formal letter that the DVLA sent to them

Goes to show you that it's not always the buyers fault. Dealers can **** up too...
This would have been nigh on impossible to do even back in 1996.
In fact I can't even see how it could happen.
It wouldn't just be the dealer's fault. The local DVLA office would have messed up too.
How? I don't know.