Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aluminium intercooler

Views : 1236

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2023, 21:19   #11
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've been refunded for the intercooler and postage but not the import fees.

I've emailed them and asked why and a different person has replied saying that "there has been a misunderstanding" and the vat/import fees are nothing to do with them.

I have replied saying

There has been no misunderstanding from me, I have been dealing with this issue with xxxx and he has said to me

"We have discussed further with supplier now and came to the conclusion that you will be fully refunded.

This includes shipping costs and import fees"

So he has agreed to reimburse me the £57.68 for the import fees.

I await their response.

They have said their way of reimbursement is giving me discount on my next order, but my next order won't be for a long time due to house work and Christmas etc and at this rate I'll be too annoyed with them to want to make another order.

I hope Baggy doesn't mind me saying this but he bought a downpipe from a supplier in Sweden and they had put the flange on backwards so he couldn't use the downpipe. They refunded him for the part, postage and import fees straight away and were very apologetic. He didn't have to wait three weeks for them to accept that the clearly faulty part isn't useable and have to send multiple photos twice to get them to even look in to the issue.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 16:33   #12
Mertz

SpeedingParts can't refund import VAT & Duty themselves unfortunately.

They should however, act on your behalf with the carriers who did the outbound and inbound shipping to have them send the refund to you.

Speeding will need to provide the original tracking number and accompanying invoice, together with the tracking number and return invoice of the original item stating that the shipment was returned back to origin. It's in their interest to do so as they won't then have to pay import VAT/duty etc... Once this is then reconciled by EU Customs, Speeding can instruct the carrier to refund you the paid duty/VAT.

Hope that helps/provides some insight. PM me if they get difficult, I deal with customs & carriers all day long at work.
Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mertz For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 19:46   #13
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've fitted the DO88 intercooler and coolant hoses today and thought I would do a small write up on the fitment.

The actual intercooler is 60mm thick, the original one is 25mm thick so as you can imagine it's quite tight, it sits touching the end tanks of the radiator but as they're bolted together it can't rub against it so I'm not bothered about that.

The bottom rubber brackets didn't need cutting, it's tight going in to them but fits with a bit of man handling. The top rubber mounts didn't need cutting either, I just pulled the intercooler etc back towards the front of the car as much as I could and they bolted down fine then.

The flange that bolts to the A/C condenser doesn't have holes so you need to drill them yourself, seeing as my condenser is past it's best and leaks I didn't bother in case the replacement one has the holes in different places. The flange for the radiator to bolt to isn't quite the right angle so I used my knipex pliers to squeeze them together so I could bolt them together.

The intercooler pipes were a right pig to fit as they're a different shape and size to the original ones, the hardest one was the passenger side one as it was touching the power steering hoses and one of the hard brake lines from the ABS block.

Luckily the power steering hoses run inside a P clip so I bent that down a bit to clear and I just had to put silicone grease on the aluminium pipe where it goes in to the silicone elbows to manoeuvre it so it fit without kinking the elbows and has a few mm clearance between it and the brake line.

You can't use the original air filter housing as the new pipes run over the top of where the housing bolts to the bracket on the chassis leg. I have a template somewhere to make a MAF bracket like I did for 50 shades of grey and then I'll get a cone filter and make up some sort of cold air feed/heat shield.

The plastic shrouds that go around the original intercooler pipes on the slam panel touch the silicone elbows slightly so I left them off as I really couldn't be bothered trying to manipulate the passenger side one in to place around everything and then have to shave bits off of it to prevent it rubbing through. The drivers one also touched the elbow so I just left it off.

My 940 doesn't have tax or MOT at the moment so I couldn't test drive it so I can't comment on performance yet sadly.

So all in all it is probably about as close as you will get to a drop in kit but it isn't without it's fitment issues, however it fits a lot better than the one speedingparts sold which I now see has been removed from their website so it must have been very bad!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 12:41   #14
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thanks for the write up, its very interesting. Tbh I haven't heard of any if the so called 'drop in' upgrade intercoolers actually fitting without needing some form of modification 😡

Hope you get your refund sorted out soon - at least you have the refund agreement in writing which you can pass onto the credit card peeps if/when you need to.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 14:31   #15
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Thanks for the write up, its very interesting. Tbh I haven't heard of any if the so called 'drop in' upgrade intercoolers actually fitting without needing some form of modification 😡

Hope you get your refund sorted out soon - at least you have the refund agreement in writing which you can pass onto the credit card peeps if/when you need to.
Thanks Sam, it does seem that quite a lot of the upgrades for Volvo's don't ever seem to be a straight forward fit and forget, but that's the nature of the beast I suppose.

Luckily they did the refund straight away after agreeing to it but I was down on the import fees, I sold the intercooler at less than half the price I paid and ended up with a small profit so I'm happy with the outcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 21:14   #16
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Would have saved a bit of aggro using the stock pipes. 3" intercooler piping is what you see on 1000+hp cars.
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 05:18   #17
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Would have saved a bit of aggro using the stock pipes. 3" intercooler piping is what you see on 1000+hp cars.
Got them on the black Friday sale so it was an extra £4 for the pipes over the original price of the intercooler and they're not just bigger but they flow better as they're designed on a flow tester.

Last edited by 360beast; Mar 12th, 2024 at 06:05.