Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter tyres....again

Views : 848

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 15:25   #1
Pesky

Default Winter tyres....again

Driving to France in the February half term for a spot of skiing.

Car (XC60 D3 AWD) currently has the standard Michelin Latitude tyres.

I would prefer to fit winter tyres but as it is a company car, I will have to pay for them myself.

Is there a good budget winter tyre available? Is there a market for 2nd hand winter tyres?
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 15:41   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

There was a thread about 2nd hand tyres a little while ago, recent history, so if you search for that it will come up. It will help you decide whether it is an option worth looking at or not.

Try Oponeo, MyTyres, Blackcircles for a good range of tyres. It very much depends on the tyre size you need but good middle ground companies are Vredestein, Nokian (both top winter tyre makes but often priced mid range), Barum, Avon, Falken. Beware of cheap Chinese tyres as these are more likely to kill you than keep you on the road.

Some of those names above, Barum for example, are mid range mfrs owned by a larger parent company, in their case Continental. Do a little homework behind the name to put your mind at rest but there are some very good mid range options out there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 16:35   #3
675rrr

I live in France and to be honest havent really ever used snow tyres as the roads are usually cleared well.

You must really invest in some snow chains or socks ( I started a thread on this)

If you really need to buy some snow tyres go for the Continentals a little bit more expensive but good quality.

Snow tyres only work properly under 7 degrees so you could keep them on in the UK until March or april.

Anyway enjoy

Tim
675rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 17:13   #4
Daniel TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
Driving to France in the February half term for a spot of skiing.

Car (XC60 D3 AWD) currently has the standard Michelin Latitude tyres.

I would prefer to fit winter tyres but as it is a company car, I will have to pay for them myself.

Is there a good budget winter tyre available? Is there a market for 2nd hand winter tyres?
i have a set for sale with alloys bridge stone bizzacks on a set of meracs
18" very good condition

email me on dantowler73@yahoo.com if intersted
Daniel TD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 08:12   #5
Pesky

Daniel TD5, YHM
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:01   #6
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel TD5 View Post
i have a set for sale with alloys bridge stone bizzacks on a set of meracs
18" very good condition

email me on dantowler73@yahoo.com if intersted
If I hadn't bought my winter tyres I'd have considered these. Sounds good value.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 17:30   #7
Daniel TD5

Hi crockers

I have got a set of new Achilles 19" 5 alloys with brand new scorpion verde all season Sitting at home it's just like a kid with a new toy that I can,t play with just want to fit them

I think it's a good price
Daniel TD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 08:21   #8
Stevepvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel TD5 View Post
Hi crockers

I have got a set of new Achilles 19" 5 alloys with brand new scorpion verde all season Sitting at home it's just like a kid with a new toy that I can,t play with just want to fit them

I think it's a good price
Same tyres I got fitted last November as I had bought the car with pzeros on and was used to scorpion STR on my xc70s which were great. When I replaced the tyres I thought that I bet we don't have snow this year and guess what! If we ever get snow we will have to compare experiences with these tyres - lol - Do you have the AWD xc60 version?
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote