Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LHD Conversion?

Views : 2201

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 14:25   #1
m2srt

Default LHD Conversion?

I've been offered the chance to work in Europe and we are greatly tempted to relocate. I'm rather smitten with my XC60 D5 Geartronic and was just wondering if a LHD conversion along with homogenisation would be possible? I don't want to be stuck with a RHD car but neither do I want to be selling a 16 month old car (20 month old by the time we move). Any ideas?

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 14:42   #2
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
I've been offered the chance to work in Europe and we are greatly tempted to relocate. I'm rather smitten with my XC60 D5 Geartronic and was just wondering if a LHD conversion along with homogenisation would be possible? I don't want to be stuck with a RHD car but neither do I want to be selling a 16 month old car (20 month old by the time we move). Any ideas?
If you do not want to use masking tape/deflectors, then I think that you will have to buy new light units from Volvo. They are expensive, somewhere in the region £300/£350 each?

Last year while returning from German, I meet a couple who were also returning to the UK, after 2 years in Spain.
They had used plastic deflectors (Halfords), during there visit and experienced no problems.

tem.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 14:44   #3
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Frankly put bluntly that is loopy idea.

It is going to cost you thousands to do this (if you can find someone that even will do it), and then depending on where you are going the additional agro of getting it registered and certified elsewhere I could understand if it was something special but a 2013 XC60 D5 is not "special" enough to be doing serious conversion work to (even if you can).

Far more sensible in my view to:
1) Sell it here then get a LHD version over there (or buy new)
2) Sell it over there and get a LHD version.

I cannot even see the financial sense in doing what you are proposing.

Last edited by Ninja59; Jan 23rd, 2014 at 14:46.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 14:52   #4
m2srt

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
If you do not want to use masking tape/deflectors, then I think that you will have to buy new light units from Volvo. They are expensive, somewhere in the region £300/£350 each?

Last year while returning from German, I meet a couple who were also returning to the UK, after 2 years in Spain.
They had used plastic deflectors (Halfords), during there visit and experienced no problems.

tem.
I have Xenons so I can switch to European mode. My question related to moving the steering wheel to LHD

Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 14:54   #5
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Frankly put bluntly that is loopy idea.

It is going to cost you thousands to do this (if you can find someone that even will do it), and then depending on where you are going the additional agro of getting it registered and certified elsewhere I could understand if it was something special but a 2013 XC60 D5 is not "special" enough to be doing serious conversion work to (even if you can).

Far more sensible in my view to:
1) Sell it here then get a LHD version over there (or buy new)
2) Sell it over there and get a LHD version.

I cannot even see the financial sense in doing what you are proposing.
I'm thinking of ordering a LHD car here as I could have uk spec.

Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 14:57   #6
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
I have Xenons so I can switch to European mode. My question related to moving the steering wheel to LHD
Sorry, my mistake.
Need new glasses.

tem.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 14:59   #7
Flux
Premier Member

You have made me chuckle - classic - what a great thread.

Think on the face of it it is probably easier to convert the lights and keep the RHD.

Think someone has had too much 'fruit juice' over lunch.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 15:03   #8
Lippy r design

I have lived in holland for three years and I have had no problem with a RHD car, but if you must I would agree with ninja
Vespa PX 2004
Vespa PX 1978
Lippy r design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lippy r design For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 18:01   #9
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
I'm thinking of ordering a LHD car here as I could have uk spec.
Why the focus on "UK specification" if you are not even going to be here?

Additionally, I believe if I am correct that part of that UK specification is RHD. So what you are actually after is completely impossible (assuming that is correct).

The only time RHD will become a real issue is overtaking on single carriageway really. But, ultimately should you want to go LHD then it makes more sense to do one of the above.

If it were me though you will find the vehicle easier to sell here than over the other side as the vehicle is obviously on the correct side. The only issue then is getting over to the other country although with the time you have surely you can get yourself setup and sorted quite comfortably.

Edit it might be worth contacting the VUK Diplomatic and expat sales - http://www.volvocarstaxfree.com/

Last edited by Ninja59; Jan 23rd, 2014 at 18:04.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 18:51   #10
bongodave
I've Been Banned

There's just too much banter to resist not joining in........

Turn the car upside-down and get some bigger wheels and cushions!
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote