Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Parking Brake question

Views : 1572

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2014, 09:51   #1
prenton01

Default XC60 Parking Brake question

This might be a stupid question

But having recently bought an XC60 with the parking brake i was wondering is it ok to drive then let the brake go off itself or is it better to manually take the brake off

Which is better for the car ??

All my previous cars have had handbrakes so took a few weeks to get used to it though i tend to take it of manually
prenton01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 10:45   #2
Bhowani 2
Bhowani

Default Epb

Although I have a different model (V60) this is a moot point. The "book" says drive it off, whereas I am happier taking it off manually.

I have raised the point with Honest John in The Daily Telegraph, and he is getting a vehicle with an EPB this week, and will no doubt let us know!

Unless the process of manually releasing it is electronically the same, I can't see the point in driving it off, except in extremis (like a car behind not going to stop when you are stationary, and you want to get going really rapidly!)

Bhowani 2
V60 T3 Powershift
Bhowani 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 11:20   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

The process for release of the EPB manually or automatically is exactly the same at the brake. The signal that is sent to the motor to 'wind the brake out' from either the switch or from the accelerator is the same causing the same action to happen. There is no manual connection at any point between the switch and the brake.

I used the automatic release very happily for 41/2 years on my last XC60 without any issues and continue to do so on the latest incarnation. Utilising the automatic release also has the advantage that it reminds you to put the seatbelt on as the car wont move until you have 'buckled up'
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 12:58   #4
Mytholmroyd60

I agree with mr Morrison. I use the auto release all the time. I've started applying the brake at traffic lights as well as you then don't need to keep the foot brake applied (on a geartronic)
Mytholmroyd60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 13:13   #5
prenton01

Thanks for all the replies people i will start using the brake in automatic mode instead of manual.

I also look forward to what Honest John says

Tony
prenton01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 18:47   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowani 2 View Post

Unless the process of manually releasing it is electronically the same, I can't see the point in driving it off, except in extremis (like a car behind not going to stop when you are stationary, and you want to get going really rapidly!)
I take this advantage true, but surely in having it on (in automatic mode) say at a set of traffic lights behind another vehicle it removes one advantage utilising handbrake (whatever you wish to call it) has in making you unable to go forward if you should accidentally lift clutch or hit accelerator say?
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 19:46   #7
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytholmroyd60 View Post
I agree with mr Morrison. I use the auto release all the time. I've started applying the brake at traffic lights as well as you then don't need to keep the foot brake applied (on a geartronic)
I do too.
And it's especially good for hill start.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 19:56   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prenton01 View Post
Thanks for all the replies people i will start using the brake in automatic mode instead of manual.

I also look forward to what Honest John says

Tony
After reading all his answers for many years i would take what he says with a pinch of salt . especialy about volvos :-) most of his answers are generic rather than make specific . I gave up correcting him about 8 years ago .
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 20:36   #9
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
After reading all his answers for many years i would take what he says with a pinch of salt . especialy about volvos :-) most of his answers are generic rather than make specific . I gave up correcting him about 8 years ago .

Not so honest then?...lol
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 20:57   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Not so honest then?...lol
I'm sure hes honest but seems to have a sales related view of motor vehicle technology rather than technical experience . I may be wrong i don't know his background !