Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Will a rear wiper not working fail the MoT

Views : 5722

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 18:47   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
no mot station can fail you for a spare as its not tested any more.
I dont think it was ever a testable item , not from 1976 to 1992 when i was a MOT examiner anyway ...
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 19:47   #32
grass hopper
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I dont think it was ever a testable item , not from 1976 to 1992 when i was a MOT examiner anyway ...
it must have been just after 1992,it was brought in,not for long as everybody took there spares out.think i started testing approx 1996 and it had been removed from testing by then as people argued the car is tested as presented and deemed to be legal on the road at that time,they couldn't argue against that so it was dropped.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 20:33   #33
Ben '71 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
it must have been just after 1992,it was brought in,not for long as everybody took there spares out.think i started testing approx 1996 and it had been removed from testing by then as people argued the car is tested as presented and deemed to be legal on the road at that time,they couldn't argue against that so it was dropped.
And there's me whipping the spare out every year for no reason... Before anyone tells me I should have a good spare anyway, it's useless me carrying it anyway and I reckon I could argue it as not being a spare, since I run 15x8 inch wheels, with different sized tyres front and rear. The spare is a stock 14 inch steel with a 175/14 which is far too tall for either front or rear.

Maybe I should just buy a can of tyre weld and dump the spare totally.

EDIT:
I find all of this really interesting, especially the common misconception that MOT pass= legal, when it really isn't the case at all. The example that springs to mind from my last MOT is wheels again.

This passed an MOT like this. The tread is covered by the arch (just) and the tyre is in good condition (brand new in this photo). However.. if Mr VOSA wanted to look at it, he'd probably not be amused by the fact that the wheel protrudes from the arch, even if the tyre tread doesn't. He would probably also have something to say about a stretched tyre. This is only ever so slightly stretched for practical reasons more than anything; I'm not a fan of stretch ordinarily. I got an advisory on the MOT for both front wheels protruding slightly but I did get an 'I can't do anything about it but I'm not amused by it' sort of talk from the garage owner.

Last edited by Ben '71 1200; Dec 3rd, 2009 at 20:41.
Ben '71 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote