Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 821278

Replies : 6256

Users Viewing This Thread : Moomoo, Roderick Plinge

Old Sep 17th, 2020, 09:59   #1
Roderick Plinge

Thumbs down Seriously?

The price of everything appears to be going up - and I mean everything. "Classic" cars (even those that are not remotely "classic") are listed at ridiculous prices that they probably never realise, however, I have just seen this on eBay and I have to say it's a total and utter pi**-take....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Volv...kAAOSwyG1fWhWk

The 240 is undoubtedly a super car - I've had three and wish I'd kept at least two of them, however, this car just isn't worth this stupid price. If you list a car at this price you deserve to take the consequent flak for it....joker!
Roderick Plinge is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roderick Plinge For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 12:52   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Just because cars are offered at what we may consider to be unrealistic prices does not mean that they will sell for that same figure, Roderick. I agree with those on the forum who believe that we may well see cars and other 'luxury' items (e.g. watches) sold off cheaply as money becomes tight and people need to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. An expensive 'toy' is of little value in such circumstances.

Regards, John.
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 13:40   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Just because cars are offered at what we may consider to be unrealistic prices does not mean that they will sell for that same figure, Roderick. I agree with those on the forum who believe that we may well see cars and other 'luxury' items (e.g. watches) sold off cheaply as money becomes tight and people need to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. An expensive 'toy' is of little value in such circumstances.

Regards, John.
We have discussed this topic in the past John - and I agree really strongly.

I agree with Roderick also: this is a £3000 car all day long, someone is just flying a kite (but I suppose someone might pay the price?).

I'll be keeping cash in the bank (metaphorically) at the mo - this bubble will burst soon enough :-(

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 17th, 2020 at 16:01.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 18:57   #4
AndrewBrown

Default My reply has turned into a bit of a rant ..sorry

The reason the prices are going up is because they are getting rarer cars now and dealers are beginning to take the **** with prices because of rarity.

this is mainly due to people breaking up cars especially older ones for a quick buck.
but these people don't realise there will be more parts to sell than there are cars to need the parts so eventually of to the dump with a lot of good useable parts all because of greed.

I'm all for a good reasonable price that keeps cars in circulation and out of the hands of breakers /banger boys it's better to keep the old ones going on the road or sold to somebody for a good restoration job so they can be enjoyed for the future, not just a few quid in parts because people cant be bothered to fix em.

How many older 244 or 245 cars have been scrapped for a quick buck or because the owner was too greedy or lazy??

3 or 4 grand seems reasonable for the torslander but not 8 just yet

you don't see people scrapping fords of the same era any more because they have a good market value and as a consequence a really good new parts supply, there is a good supply for parts for 200 and 100 seres cars but it seems old Volvo owners are just too tight to pay the prices which in fairness are comparable to other classic car parts prices.

I see it all the time " I want ££££££for it (over priced) but if I don't get it I will break it up" not sell it to someone for a lower price so they can keep it going/ restore it........Just Greedy if you ask me

I am in need of parts for my volvos (1971 164, 1975 245, 178 245, I saved the 1978 car from the crusher in a scrap yard in wales and it had some rare genuine Volvo accessories fitted to it too that would have been lost) but I always try to use new parts first this keeps new parts in demand and therefore not extortionate prices. you just need to shop around the web there's about 6 or 7 websites I do price checking on.

So don't break it up for parts keep it going and the second hand prices will steadily climb as it does with all classics and not jump because some greedy dealer is chancing his arm because of rarity.

if you do need the money sell the car to someone whole who will keep it going or restore it and thus keeping the values reasonable enough to afford but high enough to be a viable classic to keep on the road or restore it.

Rant over

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Sep 17th, 2020 at 19:05. Reason: spelling/punctuation
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 19:17   #5
griston64
Premier Member

That will never sell in a month of Sundays ! The 740 that was up a while ago at way over 5k is now down to 2k odd

Trying their luck to see if someone daft enough to pay it comes along
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 21:22   #6
Othen
Premier Member

This one is equally daft:

http://https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293712119590

I can think of no reason for this justifying £9000.
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 21:33   #7
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
That will never sell in a month of Sundays ! The 740 that was up a while ago at way over 5k is now down to 2k odd

Trying their luck to see if someone daft enough to pay it comes along
This dealer seems to be asking ridiculous prices for all his vehicles: £80000 for a 1988 Africa Twin!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 10:09   #8
Roderick Plinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
The reason the prices are going up is because they are getting rarer cars now and dealers are beginning to take the **** with prices because of rarity.

this is mainly due to people breaking up cars especially older ones for a quick buck.
but these people don't realise there will be more parts to sell than there are cars to need the parts so eventually of to the dump with a lot of good useable parts all because of greed.

I'm all for a good reasonable price that keeps cars in circulation and out of the hands of breakers /banger boys it's better to keep the old ones going on the road or sold to somebody for a good restoration job so they can be enjoyed for the future, not just a few quid in parts because people cant be bothered to fix em.

How many older 244 or 245 cars have been scrapped for a quick buck or because the owner was too greedy or lazy??

3 or 4 grand seems reasonable for the torslander but not 8 just yet

you don't see people scrapping fords of the same era any more because they have a good market value and as a consequence a really good new parts supply, there is a good supply for parts for 200 and 100 seres cars but it seems old Volvo owners are just too tight to pay the prices which in fairness are comparable to other classic car parts prices.

I see it all the time " I want ££££££for it (over priced) but if I don't get it I will break it up" not sell it to someone for a lower price so they can keep it going/ restore it........Just Greedy if you ask me

I am in need of parts for my volvos (1971 164, 1975 245, 178 245, I saved the 1978 car from the crusher in a scrap yard in wales and it had some rare genuine Volvo accessories fitted to it too that would have been lost) but I always try to use new parts first this keeps new parts in demand and therefore not extortionate prices. you just need to shop around the web there's about 6 or 7 websites I do price checking on.

So don't break it up for parts keep it going and the second hand prices will steadily climb as it does with all classics and not jump because some greedy dealer is chancing his arm because of rarity.

if you do need the money sell the car to someone whole who will keep it going or restore it and thus keeping the values reasonable enough to afford but high enough to be a viable classic to keep on the road or restore it.

Rant over
Agree entirely!
Roderick Plinge is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roderick Plinge For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 02:14   #9
cross-Member

Looking at this thing, got almost nothing going for it and they want hear £10k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203738982...gAAOSwiU9hrKjd
cross-Member is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cross-Member For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 08:14   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-Member View Post
Looking at this thing, got almost nothing going for it and they want hear £10k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203738982...gAAOSwiU9hrKjd
Sadly they're likely to get it too - it's called the Blue Oval Tax. A comparable car from Vauxhall, Volvo or whoever would be about half that for similar condition.
Tha said it's surprisingly rust free given the colour, beige cars from that era always seemed to rust very quickly, even when they were new. Aside from the RS 4-spoke alloys (that were an original option but it doesn't have the full set, the spare is the standard Rubery-Owens pressed steel "Sports" wheel) it appears to be entirely standard even down to the non-servo brakes.
Good basis for a concours restoration.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: