Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another 940

Views : 545

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2022, 17:25   #1
BobbingAl
BobbingAl

Default Another 940

Hello everyone, I've owned a nicely modified 1994 Wentworth for the last couple of years, I've also got a standard 1997 Celebration with 52000 miles on the clock that I want to do a few mild upgrades and replace a few bits of trim etc, the interior is pretty much perfect, externally the light lenses have gone green around the edges and the bumpers have a few dings so I thought I'd start with these, so after all that waffle does anyone know if light lenses and bumpers are available new anywhere as I can't seem to find anything on the tinternet, a few sites list the lamps but when I contacted them they said they wern't in stock at the moment!

Many thanks

p.s I would put some pictures on of them both but I can't see how too

Last edited by BobbingAl; Jan 21st, 2022 at 17:31.
BobbingAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 21:23   #2
J liddy

You will find front and rear lenses OK. Both not sure about brand new bumpers but you might get good ones of a breaker car and they can be bought back to very good condition with bumper renovation products like Megars I use it and its excellent over time with applications
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 02:08   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

Personally, I always go for OEM rear lights because the electrics and seals are sometimes inadequate on pattern parts. However, I’ve been happy with cheap Taiwanese front indicator/side-lamp units from eBay. If anything they last longer than the Volvo ones. I expect they are more concerned about effectiveness than ecological virtue-signalling when it comes to the glue.

The correct part numbers for the rear lamp units on a late 940 estate are

9159657 - left
9159658 - right

I bought pairs from Viking Parts in Germany both last year and the year before but I notice they’re listing the left one as NLA now.

It would be worth looking on Skandix because they list various non-OEM alternatives some of which appear very similar to the originals.

For example,

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...white/1016703/

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...white/1016701/

Or,

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...white/1004463/

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...white/1004464/

If you prefer the “stepped” design of the older yellow-indicator units. Just don’t try mixing the two or it will look bad.

Or just try a franchised dealer.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 18:45   #4
BobbingAl
BobbingAl

Excellent, thank you for your help guy's.
BobbingAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 12:10   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

OEM rear lights and the the fron side lights can be difficult to get, if you can only get aftermarket don't cheap out. There are good manufacturers and bad ones, make sure you throughly inspect I've had ones with loads of moulding defects, flash, distortions etc and 1 very good pair. There is one good mfr, can't remember the name (Taiwanese I think, normally China bad, Taiwan good).

Front side lights/indicator can be a bit variable on assembly quality, one of mine sticks out further than it should, but only noticable from above.

Just be prepared to return them if they are poor quality.

The rear cluster bulb holders are nearly always bad, keep your volvo ones if they are useable (usually are).
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: