Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Limp Mode - MAF or DPF or neither?

Views : 613

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2022, 17:27   #1
Volvodiesel123

Default Limp Mode - MAF or DPF or neither?

My car - Volvo V50 R Design D3 2.0 Litre Diesel Estate 2012 52,000 miles

My Story - My auxiliary drive belt shredded due to a seized (solid) AC compressor, thankfully no knock on effect with the main timing belt. Fortunately I was able to pull in fairly quickly and the AA turned up. The technician proceeded to remove what was left of the auxiliary belt and then he suggested that I drive to a nearby garage (7 miles) with him following on behind. There were all kind of warning messages subsequently came up on route and very little in the way of servo assist steering etc. After approx 4 miles the car ran out of power and needed a booster charge on route from the AA. Eventually we limped into my chosen garage (Volvo Indie with good reputation). They subsequently replaced the seized compressor and belt. However they reported that the car had gone into limp mode and that they weren't able to communicate via their VIDA (?) system. I decided to drive the car home in limp mode to look for the problem myself. I have a cheapo wireless (Amazon) OBDII reader along with the "Car Scanner Pro" app. I am fairly hands on but no expert with this reader. At first I repeatedly got the message "Mass air flow (MAF) sensor A - circuit range/performance". Following various online suggestions I cleaned the MAF sensor with a MAF cleaner even though everything about the unit looked brand new - no change. I then sprayed a "professional EGR cleaner into the air intake - no change. I then removed the CEM unit, checked all the fuses and cleaned all connections - no change. I then purchased a second hand/ tested genuine Volvo MAF sensor unit and fitted it - no change. At some point during proceedings I started receiving a further message "Diesel particulate filter (DPF) pressure sensor A - circuit malfunction".

My gut feeling now is that the EGR valve is possibly dirty (?) however there is no message up for this and so far my guessing hasn't been too good! The indie garage who fitted the A/C compressor has offered to retry their VIDA system again but at £90.00 a pop (on the understanding that they can get it to communicate). I should add that the car starts well enough but a little lumpy (not too bad - a bit "tappety") and will otherwise happily idle. However when I take it out it quickly reverts to limp mode. I've tried the trick of the message stalk and the double click fog switch, however I not sure what these messages are telling me. I have no experience of how reliable these little wifi readers are (decent write ups on Amazon).

Getting a bit tired and frustrated now - any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Volvodiesel123; Jan 26th, 2022 at 17:38.
Volvodiesel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 18:03   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

cam belt jumped a tooth.?bent valve do a compression test check timeing marks

Last edited by Simmy; Jan 26th, 2022 at 18:06.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 20:40   #3
Volvodiesel123

Default Timing belt/ bent valve

Thanks.

Scary diagnosis! Is this something that you have experience of?

Why would my two bob OBDII keep on listing the MAF sensor and latterly the DPF Sensor?
Volvodiesel123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dpf sensor, limp mode, maf