Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£866.66p per cm overpriced

Views : 1224

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2022, 14:44   #21
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

S90/960 makes no odds really.

There are collectors of the special model 960's and I have a fair idea of the market. The buyers want them over the S80 due to how much better they drive as the S80 suffers from a VERY poor turning circle. The 960 (S90/V90) is also considered by many as the last true Volvo.

I know a few guy buying and selling Jap imports and good clean normal cars are selling in the £5-8k bracket

If the car in the link was in the 5-10k bracket I would be off to look at it now and expect to sell it and make a few quid
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 14:46   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post

2nd Edit: He is quite correct according to howmanyleft.co.uk (see link below)

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=...+s90+executive
There's likely a very simple reason for this anomaly and it would be down to the original supplying dealers adn their paperwork.

Back in 1990, Rover saw fit to start fitting "16v" badges to 820 models. Many dealers started registering them as "820 16v" with the trim designation afterwards - just as many dealers registered them as "820" with the trim after.
Those dealers were all registering identical vehicles (except maybe for the colours) but these days on howmanyleft and similar sites, people will look and see say 100 820 16v models remaining. They will also see say 150 820 models and conclude the 820 16v is therefore rarer.
The truth is there are in fact 250 820 models, some were registered as 16v, others not but they have the same engines and are essentially the same car.

I've used this example to explain as i know this actually happened with various Rover models, i don't know if it ever happened with a B2304 powered 740GLT where a dealer may have registered it as a "740 GLT 16v" as opposed to a 740 GLT but i expect it did.

I did once own a 144 DL auto that was registered as a manual from new but was supplied from the factory as an auto - bear in mind this was at a time when most cars were manual and the dealer probably forgot to tick the "Automatic" box or ticked the "Manual" box instead by mistake. The original sales invoice also stated automatic as well so the bottom line is car salesmen and/or dealers have a lot to answer for in how cars are registered and 30-40 years later, how rare they are percieved to be!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 15:47   #23
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default eh

you mean b234. For 15k you'd want a low mileage one. What hasn't been done on that is the bushings on the irs. If you want polybush , you're looking at 700 quid. I'd want every single bushing replaced for 15k. And I'd want the highest class of executive trim. 1995 was the best year for quality apparently so I'd want a 960 royale over a s90 executive tbh.
I'd probably want it converted to an electric engine too for 15k , not a 3 litre 18mpg petrol engine!
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 21:32   #24
peter burton

Default What is the price for a nice V90 or S90 nowdays.

Mine went last year for £900 to Forrest as he has mentioned on here. I had lots of comments about it being under priced at the £1100 I think I originally asked for. Most of you on here have more than one car already. Prices asked now seem to be in the £4000 to £7000 area.
My feelings are they may not go up to classic status and parts are getting rarer. The rear shocks are ok to replace but the rear fiberglass spring is not available. Window trims are scarce, even rear lights are rare or very costly.
You can get 25 plus mpg. easily from the straight six, box smooth, great car. So if I only got £900 after dropping the price on here a forum of Volvo fans, who is paying those high prices.
Forrest is doing a lovely rolling restoration to the car he bought and I am glad it found a good home.
I think electric cars are about to dominate the market, new battery tech is very close. Government will tax the hell out of ICE cars given a chance.
peter burton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter burton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 21:45   #25
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter burton View Post
Mine went last year for £900 to Forrest as he has mentioned on here. I had lots of comments about it being under priced at the £1100 I think I originally asked for. Most of you on here have more than one car already. Prices asked now seem to be in the £4000 to £7000 area.
My feelings are they may not go up to classic status and parts are getting rarer. The rear shocks are ok to replace but the rear fiberglass spring is not available. Window trims are scarce, even rear lights are rare or very costly.
You can get 25 plus mpg. easily from the straight six, box smooth, great car. So if I only got £900 after dropping the price on here a forum of Volvo fans, who is paying those high prices.
Forrest is doing a lovely rolling restoration to the car he bought and I am glad it found a good home.
I think electric cars are about to dominate the market, new battery tech is very close. Government will tax the hell out of ICE cars given a chance.
I don't think people are paying between 4 to 7k as the cars sit for months and don't sell. They then re list them and try again. I think they sometimes move cheap to a dealer who chances his arm again.

There has been an 850r import on Autotrader for 12k + for about three years !!!
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 09:35   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
So if I only got £900 after dropping the price on here a forum of Volvo fans, who is paying those high prices.
I've always said the worst place to sell a particular car is on the forums for that particular car. The reason is so obvious when you realise it - everyone on the forum is there because they already have at least one and don't usully want more (well perhaps they do but circumstances dictate they can't have any more) so while we might all be Volvo fans, most generally aren't in the market for another.

That said, you do get the exceptions to the rule (you selling yours to Forrest for example) and you often get the "newcomer" looking for an enthusiast-owned Volvo (or whatever the marque may be) because there's a fair chance it's been looked after much better.

As for BEVs, i think you're right sadly but i also think they will be a passing fad. I'm sure there is new technology on the horizon that will give a good range with simple and quick refuels, possibly even for the existing car parc of all the ICE vehicles (except perhaps diseasels) and will give zero emissions.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 21:53   #27
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
As folk will know from my occasional postings on here I remain delighted with the V90. It has a level of power and sophistication over and above the 940s I am more familiar with. I have been enjoying gradually improving it and am grateful that it has been previously well looked after and is fundamentally sound.

To my mind, a key difference between a highish mileage £900 car and a £15k one is that you’re prepared to forgive the odd fault with the former. For example, it was a very satisfying task to replace a fiddly bulb in the radio on the V90. I might have been less enthusiastic about doing it had I just spent ‘new car’ money on the vehicle.

As I mentioned in another thread recently, I got new genuine rear lights from a firm in Germany last year. They are now out of stock of one side. Non-OEM pattern parts still seem plentiful though.

The fibreglass springs are available again, at a price. Fortunately, they are very long-lived.

https://www.skandix.de/en/news/suspe...v90-1998/2085/

It will be interesting to see what happens with the dash for battery powered cars. Personally, I think petrol and diesel will be with us for many decades to come. If the Government doesn’t abandon the ban we’ll just end up like Cuba and keep the existing ones going. The misguided ecological virtue-signalling of our political elite is so far removed from the economic and practical realities of the silent majority of voters that something has to give.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: