Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 passenger side speakers not working

Views : 1610

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 19:06   #11
Jimt72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmax View Post
Behind the radio there's a plug harness that essentially 'splices' the amp into the speaker circuit. Made this way so it's easier to manufacture cars with and without the premium system i'd assume. Check there's no breaks in that. I believe it's a grey/white plug with grey/white cables going into it. It might be tucked down the right hand side behind the radio, at least mine was.

Also, I imagine you've definitely checked this, but worth mentioning. Are you sure the balance knob isn't turned to the right?
Hi

Thankyou for quick reply.

Yes checked the balance/ fade. Wish it was that.

Will check behind the head unit.
I take it, it just levers out?

Considering buying another head unit incase it's that.
Jimt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 19:41   #12
Nick6262

Default head unit removal

check out this thread for taking out the head unit

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=309342&page=8
Nick6262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 19:53   #13
TeamG
Master Member

When I bought my V70 (a later one), the front passenger speaker stopped working within a week. I gave the door a thump over the speaker and it worked again. About a year later, the same door was intermittent, but no amount of door thumping would sort it. I gave the dash a thump (little more gentle) and it worked again. Over the next couple of years, either door thump or dash thump would sort any issues. Eventually I removed the door card and removed speaker, spraying a ton of contact cleaner in the connection and refitted. I did the same with the head unit (absolute bugger to get at the connections but ok partially dismantled). Didn’t have to do it again for the final two years of ownership.

Percussive maintenance fixes many electrical gremlins. Dirty contacts causes many more. Worth trying both before replacing things that cost £££
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 19:49   #14
Jimt72

So took out the head unit today.
No obvious connections issues.
There are two black pin type plugs on the back.
One I think matches another one on the amp under the front seat.
Does anyone know what the other one is. It has a different pin pattern but jus wondered what it did or is running,?
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 20:30   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I think the 2 round ones are one to the amp, and one for a CD changer? even if you don't have the changer a lot of stuff is pre-wired ready just not fitted

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 20:43   #16
Jimt72

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
I think the 2 round ones are one to the amp, and one for a CD changer? even if you don't have the changer a lot of stuff is pre-wired ready just not fitted
Right.
It's the 4 disc changer hu 803.
It has two of those plugs coming out of the back.
Photo shows the sockets which mg unit has plugs in both
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220130-184030_eBay.jpg (87.2 KB, 5 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimt72 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 20:44   #17
Jimt72

One goes to the amp under the seat.
Is there another amp somewhere that's blown so that's why the left-sided is not working?
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 00:13   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I'm pretty sure it's just the one amp so it sounds like you're either looking at speaker wiring, which seems unlikely if the whole side has gone, a break in the signal cable that only affects that side maybe, or a head unit issue

mini project - link
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 19:21   #19
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
^ same here

They're still pretty good speakers though, 50w 8ohm.. but my head unit is max 4 x 55w 4ohm so I replaced with a new set for about £80 for all 4

If you do decide to do the same they're really easy to pry out and swap just leave the riveted plastic frame , peel off rubber circular edging strip and pry out the speaker itself, screw new ones in place. 6.5" fits perfectly

Then I started having crackling from my tweeters so I swapped them for 4ohm as well that was a bit more awkward in terms of fitting but not that bad
Can I ask which speakers did you go for? I’ve just replaced my head unit and it’s much better but I can tell that the drivers front speaker isn’t right. It’s working but it’s dull and as the volume goes up it distorts.

I am not a audio geek at all and haven’t a clue what I need to get. Was just planning to replace the front 2 main ones?
Carlosos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 23:52   #20
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I used Vibe slick 6's which were about £40 from halfords at the time but seem to have gone up a bit now..

there's a pair on ebay for less.. (link) depending on if you're trying to keep things to a minimum cost wise.. you could order 2 pairs and just do all four doors for £60

---------

but hang on sorry I just need to backtrack slightly, have you got the amp under the seat as well, and which cables did you use to connect to your new headunit, did it involve this convertor by any chance https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171167300967?hash=item27da5dbd67:gKcAAMXQUmFSesW 6 with the black plug connector and the RCA leads

if not, then before you order anything tell us what the output rating on the headunit is (should be in the handbook) or what model headunit it is

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 1st, 2022 at 00:10.