Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OEM Spares in the UK

Views : 644

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 19:55   #11
remfanuk

I got some brake valves...cant remember proper name right now that were £500 each from dealer but £25 from breaker in Lithuania and worked perfectly.
Thanks John for the link above...think I will get that but also need a cable.
remfanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to remfanuk For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 19:58   #12
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
From local breakers a switch should be no more than a £5. Im buying whole doors for £40 to £80. They saw you coming.
I've paid £35 for second hand throttle potentiometers, were it was £500 from the main stealer and couldnt guarantee it would fix it. It would be my loss. Not volvo.
I'd another main dealer looking a £1000 for ecu and couldnt program it with only one key and couldnt guarantee it would work, between second keys new boards, their programming it was nearly into £2000 and wouldn't guarantee it would fix it. So £100 from local breakers and bring it back if I couldn't get it to work and £50 from an ex main dealer worker gone solo working out of a hay shed for programming. Job done.
Instrument cluster went on another and was running battery down. Same story main stealer looking a grand for new cluster etc and local whizz kid fixed cluster for £70.
So definitely do your homework. Second hand parts should be buttons compared to new.
Everything in society now seems throw away coz to much money or cant be bothered.
No, indeed, but you dont know until you ask.

If you simply assume the dealer is more expensive you could end up losing out. Id be 40 quid lighter if I hadn't picked up the phone and at least asked the question.

Second hand parts should be buttons, but as I discovered quite often they are not. Look om ebay to see the truth of that.

Just assuming one supplier is cheaper than another without actually checking is silly.Telling someone out of hand to "stay away from the dealer" is poor advice when there is the chance they dealer could be less expensive.

The correct advice should be "do your homework and at least ask the dealer because you never know..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by remfanuk View Post
I got some brake valves...cant remember proper name right now that were £500 each from dealer but £25 from breaker in Lithuania and worked perfectly.
And look at my window switch. £80 from a breaker, £43 for a new item from a dealer and worked perfectly and had a 2 year warranty.

No one has a universal monopoly of cheap prices. Shop around. Sometimes the breakermin Lithuania will win, sometimes the dealer will.

Have you even got a price from the dealer, or are you simply assuming? Theres a fair chance the dealer will indeed be a bit spendy, but why not take 60 seconds to find out? An assumption is the mother of all foxtrot ups.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jan 23rd, 2022 at 20:04.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 12:07   #13
owenfackrell
Premier Member

I would say that with breakers not only supply and demand applies but also how much hassle/time it would take to get a part.
For me recently my son in law has the front quarter glass break on his 207. Now while you could get a second hand one it wasn’t straight forward and delivery prices were quite high. The local breaker would only supply the whole door as the glass is held in via rivets for only slightly more than the others would send it for, plus I could go and get it same day.
As an aside the whole door included all glass, speaker and door handles but the door card and wing mirror had been removed.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 18:03   #14
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by remfanuk View Post
You missed my point about actually going to a breaker's and having a rummage about all the cars. Of course i know breaker's exist.
Give the Lakes a go or your nearest dealer..
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 20:07   #15
Dancake
Premier Member

I have a complete door handle with the tabs intact if you're still looking? It comes as one unit with the interior handle fitted.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post: