Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 halogen headlights - Retrofitlab projectors halogen H7

Views : 3222

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 19:06   #11
StatusRed
Premier Member

I have ultra bright "xenon effect" bulbs in, the newer facelift projectors, which I've taken out and cleaned a few years ago and still I think the light output is crap...

So, even though I know "you're not meant to", I think I'm going to try LED bulbs in the projectors. More important and safer to be able to see properly at night than any issues putting the LED bulb in, IMO. Rule has already been changed allowing them to be retrofitted in motorbikes so should soon follow with cars I think.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 19:26   #12
Trellis
Martin B.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
ugh, cmon, dont go that route "im blinded so I will blind others" otherwise lets all happily remove shutters from our projectors and put aircraft grade discharge bulbs in them
I'm right with you in principle but in practice I'm finding it increasingly difficult to see the road ahead in-between the blasts of LED & HID light from the oncoming traffic - particularly on a couple of unlit, but busy, rural roads which I do regularly.

This may have something to do with my advancing years, or it may be just that everyone else's lights are getting brighter. If everyone de-escalated that would be grand, but that won't happen - and meanwhile I really do need to be able to see where I'm going
Trellis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trellis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 19:29   #13
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

If you purchase the mentioned RetrofitLab projectors, I would advise against putting LED or HID bulbs in.

This is because the cut-off is RAZOR sharp, so if your bulbs are too bright, it'll make your eyes feel funny on a dark road. LizardofBodom raised this issue couple years ago, and I thought I'd try and see if it really was an issue, and yes it is...somewhat headache inducing as well.

With those brand new projectors, you simply do not need anything brighter than regular Halogen bulbs. You will have VERY good headlights for forward vision even with normal halogen bulbs, let alone upgraded "brighter" halogen bulbs.

One thing I have learnt is that Halogen bulbs can provide excellent light output if the headlight design is good. People are very quick to think they need LED but they actually dont. What they need are headlamps that are in good condition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 20:38   #14
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
If you purchase the mentioned RetrofitLab projectors, I would advise against putting LED or HID bulbs in.

This is because the cut-off is RAZOR sharp, so if your bulbs are too bright, it'll make your eyes feel funny on a dark road. LizardofBodom raised this issue couple years ago, and I thought I'd try and see if it really was an issue, and yes it is...somewhat headache inducing as well.

With those brand new projectors, you simply do not need anything brighter than regular Halogen bulbs. You will have VERY good headlights for forward vision even with normal halogen bulbs, let alone upgraded "brighter" halogen bulbs.

One thing I have learnt is that Halogen bulbs can provide excellent light output if the headlight design is good. People are very quick to think they need LED but they actually dont. What they need are headlamps that are in good condition.
Mine were in good condition having been cleaned and with no flaking of the reflector material and they're still crap. I particularly find they don't illuminate the road itself very well.

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 21:06   #15
Sidonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
I have ultra bright "xenon effect" bulbs
Those are often just regular bulbs with a blue tainted glass that filters out a fair amount of yellow light that the bulbs would otherwise emit.
Sidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 21:09   #16
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidonas View Post
Those are often just regular bulbs with a blue tainted glass that filters out a fair amount of yellow light that the bulbs would otherwise emit.
Yeah I know, but they are also "ultra bright", they are brighter than the original halogens, I prefer the white light look, I wasn't actually expecting the performance of HID or LED, but now I am considering using actual LED bulbs because genuinely the single halogen headlight on both of my motorbikes (typical retro 7" round motorbike reflector light) seems to have better output than my Volvo ;'(

My 25 year old Daihatsu also seems to have better headlights..

Old Jan 29th, 2022, 14:37   #17
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Yeah I know, but they are also "ultra bright", they are brighter than the original halogens, I prefer the white light look, I wasn't actually expecting the performance of HID or LED, but now I am considering using actual LED bulbs because genuinely the single halogen headlight on both of my motorbikes (typical retro 7" round motorbike reflector light) seems to have better output than my Volvo ;'(

My 25 year old Daihatsu also seems to have better headlights..
thats down to the projector unit/lens in it more than the bulb,
honestly £ for £ the retrofit H7 Halogen units With H7 Halogen bulbs *regular or volvo long life , give Far and away better light on the road than faffing with "different " bulb types

easy peasy to fit , ZERO legal issues, Zero MOT issues, Zero risk of finding out your insurance IS invalid when you have a crash, And you can see on unlight roads, not dazzle anyone **if correctly adjusted ,,

as for the comment about being blinded by LED and or HID units on oncoming traffic,
yes you will be
various reasons
muppets fitting non approved bulbs for the reflector type in the car
muppets NOT getting the alignment checked and set properly,
Manuf's that FIT LED units where the wavelength of the led "bulb" is ,and has been know to cause "glare" "dazzling" and eye strain, ,,go talk to your optician, they will tell you exactly that.
Failure of the DVLA/vosa to uphold the law relating to "dazzling lights" in the construction and use laws,mainly BMW, Audi, seat VW + range rover, (oddly all the sorts of cars loved by the badge snob idiots who never use indicators and drive like cockwombles anyway :P)
morons "oo i like that colour" and fitting them,,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 19:33   #18
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
thats down to the projector unit/lens in it more than the bulb,
honestly £ for £ the retrofit H7 Halogen units With H7 Halogen bulbs *regular or volvo long life , give Far and away better light on the road than faffing with "different " bulb types

easy peasy to fit , ZERO legal issues, Zero MOT issues, Zero risk of finding out your insurance IS invalid when you have a crash, And you can see on unlight roads, not dazzle anyone **if correctly adjusted ,,

as for the comment about being blinded by LED and or HID units on oncoming traffic,
yes you will be
various reasons
muppets fitting non approved bulbs for the reflector type in the car
muppets NOT getting the alignment checked and set properly,
Manuf's that FIT LED units where the wavelength of the led "bulb" is ,and has been know to cause "glare" "dazzling" and eye strain, ,,go talk to your optician, they will tell you exactly that.
Failure of the DVLA/vosa to uphold the law relating to "dazzling lights" in the construction and use laws,mainly BMW, Audi, seat VW + range rover, (oddly all the sorts of cars loved by the badge snob idiots who never use indicators and drive like cockwombles anyway :P)
morons "oo i like that colour" and fitting them,,
I think cheapest and least effort option to start with is seeing what LED bulbs are like in the current projectors, if they're still ****e or dangerous I'll look into retrofitting new projectors.

Old Jan 29th, 2022, 21:31   #19
Sidonas

Could you specify the brand and the model of the bulbs that you have fitted?
Sidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 00:24   #20
ymc30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
"projector headlights well then yo can put whatever you want"
Where exactly did I say that?
I said quite the opposite - you have to be careful to choose the right bulb otherwise it won't work.

This is working properly on the following P1 cars I or my family owns:
- C30 2.0D 2007 pre-facelift (several MoT since installed)
- V50 D4 2012 (two MoT since installed)
- V50 D3 2011 (one MoT since installed)
- C30 D3 2011 (no MoT since installed)
We had it on an S40 1.6 2010 as well which since has been sold. On the 2007 C30 I had a Xenon kit installed previously but since LED is much more liable, less bulky, and cheaper, why would anybody bother.

And the picture is definitely not my light pattern

C30 SE Lux 2.0D / V70 D4 SE Lux / Miata NCFL 2.0 Sport Tec
Sold: C70 T5 / several C30s in different flavours / V50 D4 Geartronic

Last edited by ymc30; Jan 30th, 2022 at 00:46.
ymc30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight upgrade, v50