Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 GL fifty shades of grey turbo conversion

Views : 16056

Replies : 167

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2021, 23:01   #161
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
50 shades owner came over a few days ago as he said it was sluggish to start and was worried it was the starter motor on its way out. Luckily nothing was wrong with it and it was starting fine so nothing needed to be done. I did however do a drain check to make sure it wasn't draining and it was only pulling 30 milliamps so I've got no reason to suspect the battery is being drained.

He did say that he has never owned a car as nice as this and he absolutely loves it, he wants to get a stainless steel exhaust made for it next and to also swap the lights to clear lights. So if anyone knows of any clear saloon tail lights around let me know and also a boot spoiler but that's likely to be as rare as hens teeth.
Sonds daft but have a look at boot spoiler for E36 BMW 3-series models Luke - fairly sure they're the right width (and possibly even the same mounting holes) for the 944.

As for the clear tail lights, i don't think i've ever seen any - plenty of 945 clear tail lights but the saloon lights were an odd shape and given the estates seemed to sell more, could be very tricky tracking them down.

Also didn't they change the shape of them when they went to clear rear lights on later saloons?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 23:14   #162
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304075064865

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304075065096

What about those Luke? Will they fit?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 14:20   #163
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've found PFV actually sell them new still but they only list them for the mk2 960/S90 weirdly. I wonder if they are just doing that as that's when they were available.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 14:30   #164
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I've found PFV actually sell them new still but they only list them for the mk2 960/S90 weirdly. I wonder if they are just doing that as that's when they were available.
I could well be wrong on this but i think they only put clear indicators on the 964/S90 after the facelift, the Mk2 944 still had orange indicators and the 945 got the clear indicators. Fairly sure the boot lid and rear quarter sections remained the same on the 944/964 regardless of age so you should be on a winner with the new ones.

You could try a USA site for clear indicator rear lights for his 944 - the USA only got the 940 until 1995 due to emissions and other things like OBD so anything you find stateside will be for the Mk1

Old Nov 17th, 2021, 15:56   #165
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Yeah it was for the mk2 960 and Kev told me it was 1997 & 1998 they put them on 940s hence why mine has them being a 1997. Kev has also confirmed my suspicion that the saloon 900s are all the same in the body aperture. I swapped my estate tail lights for his saloon spares (clear indicators) as spares for me, I've dug them out and can see no reason why they wouldn't fit so PFV haven't listed those clear lights correctly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 08:27   #166
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'm having a big sort out in the workshop so decided I needed to take the cover off the broken axle from 50 shades and see what went wrong and if it would be any good to rebuild... I'm just going to scrap it.

20220128_132006 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

20220128_132018 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

20220128_132027 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

20220128_132231 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 10:35   #167
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I think that's had its chips!

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 12:57   #168
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Just to let anyone who could be interested in buying 50 shades that the owner is pursuing his plans of living in a more rural area so 50 shades will be for sale soon once I have replaced the rusty wings with some very good condition ones.

I will be doing an advert for the owner in due course but if anybody is interested then feel free to message me and I will pass your details on to the owner.

The exhaust was a rubbish aftermarket cobbled together bodge so it has literally just had a £650 custom stainless steel decat exhaust fitted from the downpipe back, I believe it is 2.5" diameter with two silencers but I'll have to double check. As it is 1991 it doesn't need a cat for the MOT and it just needs a BET for the MOT.

Last edited by 360beast; Feb 22nd, 2022 at 12:59.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: