Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Purge ...

Views : 11086

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2015, 10:19   #51
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hut160 View Post
Thanks guys.
I have definitely connected them correctly.
the only thing I can think of is that the feed pipe diameter is 8mm and it goes onto the pump inlet fairly easily, I have not tightened with a clip, perhaps not tight enough and air getting sucked in?? but then again when I turn the pump from the LM reservoir on there is no leakage at all.
8mm internal bore is quite large so the high pressure pump will probably have sucked far too much air, you need to prime the 8mm pipe with DP before cranking the engine.

Make sure the pump and fuel rail are full of fuel by running the engine. Then suck the DP through the 8mm pipe and quickly reconnect the pipe to the pump, then crank the engine over. This should prevent too much air getting into the pump, once the pump has air in it, it will not suck up the DP, it then has to be primed again by the low pressure pump in the tank.

Last edited by Shadeyman; Feb 12th, 2015 at 10:27.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 22:50   #52
hut160

the saga continues!
first I should explain that originally the car went into limp mode, diagnostics said egr /turbo and soot filter. The indy eventually thought it was the dpf so I had that removed and ECU remapped. following this the egr/turbo codes did not reappear.
After it was idling slightly roughly, he suggested it might be an injector,and he explained perhaps unburnet diesel had clogged up the DPF-sounded plausable hence the saga to use the diesel purge.
so I tried a smaller pipe still no luck, in getting it started
tried the easy start which did make the engine fire up, but it stopped quickly , wouldnt get going again.
So in the end have put a bottle of diesel forte and turbo cleaner into the tank(a third full)
took it for a long drive , put it in manual mode and gave it a good italian tune .lots of black smoke when putting the foot down.
It also stopped twice which was a bit unnerving to loose power steering, fortunately not going fast but had to pull over . it started straight away.
also when it was properly warmed up it would loose power, and not respond much at all when floored , also no black smoke at this time. I thought perhaps the diesel forte had loosened a lot of crap and clogged the fuel filter, But after stopping for lunch after it was ok again when floored except for the black smoke.
so what can cause these symptoms.
Injectors?- it doesnt have a problem starting from scratch.
I have replaced the air filter.
EGR ? turbo problem?
the indy has suggested having the injectors removed and checked for fault spray patterns etc. that will cost £20 each and then £150 for a reconditioned injector.
It all seems a bit trial and error
love the car just want to get it sorted
Thanks
hut160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 08:25   #53
owenfackrell
Premier Member

I take it that there are no loose pipes between the turbo and engine or that the intercooler is complete as your symptoms (espicially the large cloud of black soot) are typical of the air fuel mixture being wrong and commen cuases on the xc90 are either one of the pipes comming loose or a split intercooler.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 08:57   #54
hut160

Thanks for all your replies.
I can just get my hand under the skid plate and there is a slick of oil on the underside of the intercooler. so I guess thats the culprit.
I have booked her in with the volvo indy for him to have a look at.
Hoping its not too expensive!
hut160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 10:00   #55
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

There's a company on e-bay doing pattern intercoolers for around £100. I bought one and I think it is actually more substantial than the original.

A good Volvo indie will be able to do the swap in his sleep - should be about 2 hours labour.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 11:56   #56
rangerovering

Love a wee thread revival!

Keen to dry diesel purge on my 2006 D5 185, have read a fair bit about the problems with the delivery pressure. Then I had an idea... I have a sealey power bleeder for doing brake systems, essentially a bottle that you fill with brake fluid, connect to your brake reservoir and pump up to pressure. Crack each bleed nipple at your leisure and enjoy seeing the manky fluid flow out!

I need to double check, but pretty sure the bottle can pump up to a fair amount of pressure. Anyone see a problem with using this to run the Liqui Moly through?
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 15:54   #57
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerovering View Post
Love a wee thread revival!

Keen to dry diesel purge on my 2006 D5 185, have read a fair bit about the problems with the delivery pressure. Then I had an idea... I have a sealey power bleeder for doing brake systems, essentially a bottle that you fill with brake fluid, connect to your brake reservoir and pump up to pressure. Crack each bleed nipple at your leisure and enjoy seeing the manky fluid flow out!

I need to double check, but pretty sure the bottle can pump up to a fair amount of pressure. Anyone see a problem with using this to run the Liqui Moly through?
I think thats a good idea, but you don't need a lot of pressure, just enough to get fluid to the pump.

I use a garden sprayer bottle.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 16:03   #58
rangerovering

Excellent will have to get some ordered and give it a go. The old girl is a bit lumpy in the mornings and generally could run smoother!
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 09:41   #59
rangerovering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I think thats a good idea, but you don't need a lot of pressure, just enough to get fluid to the pump.

I use a garden sprayer bottle.
So it doesn't need the 3-4 bar tank pump pressure necessarily? I haven't had long to look at the engine yet, are the feed/return pipes easy to access and can I loop them to feed the diesel straight back to tank?
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 20:21   #60
rangerovering

Completed this today, good results. See this thread

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...74#post2805674