Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to do

Views : 1483

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2014, 19:41   #1
pacman67
VOC Member

Default What to do

Can't decide as to keep the xc70 or not. I'm using it for my work and I'm doing a fair bit of mileage, majority motorway. Although I'm running lpg, and this works out economical. The problem is I'm filling up every three days, and it's the inconvenience of having to go out my way to find a reasonably priced supply. There is the other view of running an xc up and down as a mile muncher is nonsense being a awd model. I'm also going to miss the sporty feel of my t4 when it goes next week, and to be fair the xc ain't no hot hatch.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 00:15   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, Let me get this straight. You're dissatisfied with the bother of refueling your LPG XC-70 and the fact that it isn't the "long legged" highway cruiser you need.

Also, you're selling/returning a sporty t4 next week (why?) and you're staring into the gulch of driving a car which doesn't blow your skirt up.

Poor baby. Time to jot things down on a page with positives listed on one side and negatives on the other.

Proceeds from the sale of the LPGmobile and monies freed up from the t4 going are on the positive side. The costs of replacing these cars with what you want go on the negatives. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 00:25   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Get a D5 XC70 then . On a decent run you'll get 45 mpg for auto, perhaps 50 on a manual 'box and it'll still pull the skin off custard if you need it to. I do a 600 mile round trip to north Wales every few weeks in mine and it's the most comfortable car I've owned.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 12:50   #4
mechakev
Master Member

Get a diesel? I get quite a lot of miles out of my s60.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 16:30   #5
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

It truly depends on what you use it for the most and what you really need it for.

I bought an 07 plate D5 XC70 to replace my old 940 which runs on LPG. To be honest I ended up selling the XC and keeping the 940.

I bought the XC after borrowing a friends Audi all road to tow my car transporter trailer with. I had always used the 940 for this and being a sports edition its legally capable of towing 1950 kg.

I was so impressed with my mates Allroad I decided perhaps it was time for a change. After a little research I ended up with a six speed manual D5 XC. great car and fantastic as a towing vehicle but I decided it was the wrong time for me to have such. The main thing that sealed its fate was the less than inspiring average MPG. I was getting an average of 29 mpg. I can get this out of my 1984 BMW 7 series (it is manual) if I'm really careful. Ultimately that full time 4 wheel drive is a disaster if MPG is important to you.

You will simply have to decide what you really need in life. The poor average MPG out weighed the amount of towing I do so the XC had to go. If I suddenly found myself towing all the time I'd by another in a heartbeat but as it is the 940 is perfectly man enough for my towing needs.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 21:05   #6
kymg

Firstly, I do not know about the 'old dart' but here in the Antipodes we can can claim the cost of the fuel use for work purposes against our tax. Secondly you are going to use fuel whatever you have.

So is the car comfortable and appropriate for the purposes for which you need it, is it reliable, is it costing you $$$ in repairs.

I have a 2002 V70 NA and the best I have ever got is 36 mpg across the Hay Plain on a day of 107 degrees F with the A/C on travelling at a conservative speed. The worst is around town and can be as low as 19 mpg with A/C on in summer (oh woe is me). Would I change - probably not

At the end of the day it up to you but unless you have a better option I would stay with wot ya got.
kymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 11:20   #7
pacman67
VOC Member

Thanks for the advise, Kira, ever thought of joining the Samaritans. I think on the basis, that I have sunk money into the car, but still need a couple more bits, and yes I can claim mileage I will keep her. I do need a good tow car, that can cope with wet fields as we often do festival meets. The higher ride of the xc suits the poor and lately flooded roads round here.
I'm hoping that once I sort the last couple of issues (boost solenoid, wishbone and ball joint), the car will feel better.
I'm also thinking of moving up to 17 inch wheels to try and improve slightly the feel of the car.
To give an idea why I'm in a mood with the car, to date it's had, alternator, battery, wheel bearing, front struts and mounts, abs module fix, lpg leaks fixed, faulty lpg injector, headlight wiper motor, disc, pads, shoes. So I think, despite it's absorbing my profit it would be nonsense to get rid.
Kira, I'm selling the t4, cos I've had it three years, and have two more volvos and don't use it much.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 11:29   #8
savabill
Master Member

At least you know that after getting all that work done, it should be a good motor. How many miles has it done?

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 12:03   #9
RM955I
Premier Member

I fancy a P3 XC70 - purely for the looks and security of AWD, but I want something reliable without 'common faults'

'Common faults' certainly are that....mine has suffered most of them: leaking heater matrix, wishbones, self destructing HU850, rotten exhaust hangers, alarm service, drop links, irritating rattles and squeaks and a host of others. Thank God i bouth a facelift 2005 which avoids even more common problems.

Having said that, XC70s seem to come with their own AWD woes unless that was sorted on later (P3) models. I don't need AWD so maybe a V70 R design.....but will the 18 inch wheels be a nightmare? And, will a P3 be as fickle as a P2 or better built? so many factors to consider.

The later 205BHP diesel seems to offer better MPG too presumably due to improved engine design.

Cars...great when their good but tiresome when they need constant fettling.
The Following User Says Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 16:25   #10
pacman67
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savabill View Post
At least you know that after getting all that work done, it should be a good motor. How many miles has it done?
True, forgot also has had drop links done. She's on 139k. The one thing I really don't like, is the handling, down the twisty roads to home it's like steering a boat, something negative from the positives I guess.