Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 803363

Replies : 6184

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2021, 15:00   #1171
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... the nasty brown car has appeared for sale yet again:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1386803

... we first noticed this motor car on eBay at £4,000 in January this year. Since then the same has been variously marketed on eBay and C&C, in its latest incarnation the asking price is down to £2,500 ONO.

The seller has done nothing to it - the motor car still has a rusty hole where the boot floor should be.

I still think it is worth less than a grand.

:-)
The decimal point is still too far to the right in the price IMHO. It's a brave restoration or parts mule really, someone would really have to want it as a base for resto to pay anything more than £250 but i think a respray in either Ford Chestnut Brown Metallic or Vauxhall Hazel Brown Metallic, both period colours and both much nicer than its current shade would improve its looks considerably.

Vauxhall Hazel Brown Metallic ^^^^^

Ford Chestnut Brown Metallic ^^^^^

By the time it's been repaired, refurbished and resprayed, you've spent £2500 minimum if done on a DIY basis. You then have a car worth £2500-3500 so trying to sell "as is" for that isn't a good idea!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 16:00   #1172
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The decimal point is still too far to the right in the price IMHO. It's a brave restoration or parts mule really, someone would really have to want it as a base for resto to pay anything more than £250 but i think a respray in either Ford Chestnut Brown Metallic or Vauxhall Hazel Brown Metallic, both period colours and both much nicer than its current shade would improve its looks considerably.

Vauxhall Hazel Brown Metallic ^^^^^

Ford Chestnut Brown Metallic ^^^^^

By the time it's been repaired, refurbished and resprayed, you've spent £2500 minimum if done on a DIY basis. You then have a car worth £2500-3500 so trying to sell "as is" for that isn't a good idea!
That Ford colour is nice Dave, I like that.

The seller probably bought the nasty brown car for £250 and has been trying to sell it for about a year. I suppose it isn’t too much risk for him in that if he only has a couple of hundred in it then he can continue fishing for a mug. The advertising costs must mount up after a while.

I’d agree with your estimates, £2,500 to make it okay (although that probably wouldn’t cover a respray, that might be £2,000 on its own) to make a motor car worth £3,000. There isn’t really a margin, so the 244 can only be worth hundreds, not thousands.

Alan
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 16:35   #1173
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Odd but it can work.... Going back a couple of years, i wanted to sell my old microwave. It wasn't actually that old, i'd bought it thinking it was larger than it was due to a confusing display. Because it was too small for what i wanted, i hadn't actually used it much so when i sold it, it was more or less new in terms of use, just chronologically about 3-5 years old.

Listed it on fleabay with a £9.99 start price (i was after £20) and it had no bids, only a couple of silly offers of a fiver. Relisted, same again. Relisted at £19.99 start price, sold within 2 days for £20 .... .
I used to buy regularly some particular items at boot sales. I saw them sell by other sellers usually for peanuts on ebay or fail to sell. I listed on ebay with simple clear pics, informative listing wording, a well chosen sale format (not 99p start auctions) .... I supplemented my income in lean times. Often I got more than my target sale price. An informative listing, realistic price not undermining the item's value, bombproof packing delivered quickly to keep the customer satisfied like what one would like to receive oneself.

Works every time ...

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 19th, 2021 at 16:39.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 16:48   #1174
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That Ford colour is nice Dave, I like that.

I’d agree with your estimates, £2,500 to make it okay (although that probably wouldn’t cover a respray, that might be £2,000 on its own) to make a motor car worth £3,000. There isn’t really a margin, so the 244 can only be worth hundreds, not thousands.

Alan
I had a 1981/W plate Cortina 2.0 Ghia auto in that Chestnut Brown Metallic Alan, very nice colour. Slightly better than Vauxhalls Hazel Brown Metallic although that was nice, my dad had a 1980/V Cavalier 1.6GL in that colour.

The date references are to indicate they would truly be contemporay choices of an alternative brown that didn't make it look like a flying turd!

As for my estimates, i was including the respray in the DIY basis as well as all the other work. Not sure on paint prices these days but if you said £300 for the primer, colour and clear that probably wouldn't be too far out i wouldn't think, especially with a few sundries thrown in - stopper, filler, abrasives, cutting compound, polish etc.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 17:14   #1175
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I had a 1981/W plate Cortina 2.0 Ghia auto in that Chestnut Brown Metallic Alan, very nice colour. Slightly better than Vauxhalls Hazel Brown Metallic although that was nice, my dad had a 1980/V Cavalier 1.6GL in that colour.

The date references are to indicate they would truly be contemporay choices of an alternative brown that didn't make it look like a flying turd!

As for my estimates, i was including the respray in the DIY basis as well as all the other work. Not sure on paint prices these days but if you said £300 for the primer, colour and clear that probably wouldn't be too far out i wouldn't think, especially with a few sundries thrown in - stopper, filler, abrasives, cutting compound, polish etc.
Yes, it does look like a flying turd at the mo, almost anything would brighten it up.

I’m not sure many people would have the equipment or the ability to spray a whole car (such that it actually looked better after the respray!). I suppose it could be done outside on a still day with a compressor - but I’m not sure that would be safe or legal with 2k paints, would it?

Because I had no idea of the cost I just googled it and the answers I got were:

DIY: materials only, about £10/sq ft (so about a grand for a 244). I think that is for all the materials.

Garage: £2,400 for an average sized car (Ford Focus).

So, on a DIY basis, the nasty brown car might cost something like:

Recommissioning (battery, fluids, seals, gaskets, pads…): £500
Bodywork (panels, steel, wire, gas, filler… ): £500
Redecorating: £1000
Interior: £500
… so maybe £2,500 to make an okay but plain 244 DL - it would be wise to allow a contingency for unexpected stuff like bushes, shock absorbers, callipers, track rod ends… that sort of stuff.

However one looks at the figures it is hard to see there could be any worthwhile margin in a project like this. It would still be a good thing to do though, as long as the price of the car was £300!

Alan

PS. I suppose one might respray a whole car with rattle cans. From my experience it takes two-three 400ml cans to spray one large panel (roof, bonnet and so on) in the original colour. The aerosol paint is very thin and it would take probably twice that to change the colour. I suppose that might work out at about 20-30 cans for a whole car (same colour) plus some primer and clear lacquer. Perhaps £600 total? That would be cheaper than using a compressor I think, but the resulting coverage would be very thin (I’ve never tried respraying a whole car with aerosols - although they did it frequently on Flipping Bangers).

PPS. I’ve just read the ad in C&C - the seller claims he has more invested in the car (purchase price plus transport) than the £2,500 it is advertised for. That is very hard to believe, unless he was very gullible indeed when he bought it.

Last edited by Othen; Oct 19th, 2021 at 17:51.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 21:06   #1176
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The Holt car didn't quite make £1,500 - it got to £1,427.60. That is about where we saw it - close to the top of the 'rough cars'. It does somewhat put into perspective the motor car from France we discussed yesterday (a non-runner with no title nor MoT that would cost a grand to recover to the UK).

So far the sellers boat hasn't had much interest - but the seller has increased the start price to £300 - which is odd marketing :-)

Alan
No bids on the boat - quelle surprise.
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 12:57   #1177
AndrewBrown

Quote:
I hope someone saves that motor car :-)
There is 22 bids on this car and 15 bidders currently at £700 40 mins left to bid

Hopefully it will go to a good home maybe someone on this very forum

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203646913527
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 13:10   #1178
Tomoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
There is 22 bids on this car and 15 bidders currently at £700 40 mins left to bid

Gosh that's quite a thing for the money, would be a great project!! Wish I had the space
2004/54 V70 D5 SE in Ash Gold,
2006 V70 D5 185 Ruby Red.
Tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomoose For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 13:36   #1179
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoose View Post
Gosh that's quite a thing for the money, would be a great project!! Wish I had the space
SOLD!!!! £1150 28 bids
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 13:39   #1180
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Quote:
Slightly different to the usual fare we see in these pages but thought i'd throw it in here, for interest if nothing else :

Must be one of the last 164s so should have the D-Jetronic straight 6 3.0 engine under the bonnet. Looks to be a fairly rare manual as well and has the facelift dash. A nice project for someone maybe!

It's already MoT and tax exempt although i suspect the new owner would have to apply for those once restored.
Quote:
SOLD!!!! £1150 28 bids
Wonderful, it must have just made its reserve by the look of it. I hope it goes to a good home, perhaps we will even have the pleasure of seeing it on this forum.

Alan