Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 643340

Replies : 1365

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2022, 18:41   #71
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks Dave,

I think the problem with the dash pad is that it is 58 years old and brittle - if I tried to remove it, or even stretch it I think the fabric would just tear.

What I have done is use some of the Sikaflex I got to seal the windscreen to cover over the cracks. This has worked tolerably well and the pad doesn't irritate me - I'll take a photo tomorrow. In the longer term I probably have a choice between just leaving it (probably okay) or replacing it (nice but expensive). Brookhouse Volvo sells the pad for about £240, which is a lot for a bit of foam and vinyl - plus I suppose another tenner for some glue and a few clips - so a £250 fix. I was going to have a look at Doug's motor car (Mr Roberts) some time next month and decide whether it is worth a £250 investment, or perhaps consider it part of Great Aunt Maud's patina.

Alan
The other option Alan is to approach someone like Martrim, Woolies Trim or similar and buy the correct foam and vinyl and recreate your own dash pad. I daresay you could do it for considerably less than £250 and it would be in the general ethos of home restoration.

Whichever way you decide (repair/rebuild/new Volvo parts/leave alone) it will all be part of GAMs patina so from that persepctive, it's all good.

Quote:
To my absolute amazement my 17 year old son has declared that the Amazon is a really cool car. He has never liked the 244, I suppose the 1970s Abba styling doesn't appeal to youngsters, but the 1960s look does.

That is marvellous news for Aunt Maud, but a nail in the coffin for the RB.

:-)
:-(
The other way of viewing this is that your lad is more likely to deprive you of GAM than the RB so i think that makes the RB safer for its long term tenancy with you.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 19:06   #72
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The other way of viewing this is that your lad is more likely to deprive you of GAM than the RB so i think that makes the RB safer for its long term tenancy with you.
I have 18 months of breathing space Dave - that is how long I have given myself for Project GAM, and that coincides with Dan finishing his A levels. Circumstances will dictate whether I can keep two historic Volvos at that point :-).

Alan
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 11:25   #73
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks Dave,

I think the problem with the dash pad is that it is 58 years old and brittle - if I tried to remove it, or even stretch it I think the fabric would just tear.

What I have done is use some of the Sikaflex I got to seal the windscreen to cover over the cracks. This has worked tolerably well and the pad doesn't irritate me - I'll take a photo tomorrow. In the longer term I probably have a choice between just leaving it (probably okay) or replacing it (nice but expensive). Brookhouse Volvo sells the pad for about £240, which is a lot for a bit of foam and vinyl - plus I suppose another tenner for some glue and a few clips - so a £250 fix. I was going to have a look at Doug's motor car (Mr Roberts) some time next month and decide whether it is worth a £250 investment, or perhaps consider it part of Great Aunt Maud's patina.

Alan
This is how the dash pad looks after a bit of silicone filling Dave:

... actually it isn't too bad, and at least will stop moisture getting in for the time being.

Here is how the BT receiver/amplifier turned out with the original speaker:

... as you may see, it is very unobtrusive and it works very well with my iPhone.

Last edited by Othen; Jan 13th, 2022 at 11:43. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 12:54   #74
packers1712

Alan,

I think I was in the right place at the right time when I purchased my dash pad I got it from eBay, must have been Brookhouse's page because when it arrive it was in their packaging and it only cost me £170 - result!

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 12:57   #75
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Just noticed, you're only 30 miles from me Othen. I am just across the country line into MK borough.

Do you get to many local club gatherings?
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 13:10   #76
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
This is how the dash pad looks after a bit of silicone filling Dave:

... actually it isn't too bad, and at least will stop moisture getting in for the time being.

Here is how the BT receiver/amplifier turned out with the original speaker:

... as you may see, it is very unobtrusive and it works very well with my iPhone.

My speaker is mounted onto MDF and then used a pair of black tights to cover the speaker so you can't see it through the grill. Not that it matters. The rear speaker shelf is done in a similar manner so you can't see the speakers or the retractable belts.
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 13:26   #77
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
Alan,

I think I was in the right place at the right time when I purchased my dash pad I got it from eBay, must have been Brookhouse's page because when it arrive it was in their packaging and it only cost me £170 - result!

Doug.
I looked on Ebay Doug, but there were only LHD versions from the USA. I'll keep my eyes open as there is no particular rush - I can compare it with Mr Roberts some time and decide whether to invest £250 into making Aunt Maud look a bit prettier :-).

Alan
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 13:27   #78
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Just noticed, you're only 30 miles from me Othen. I am just across the country line into MK borough.

Do you get to many local club gatherings?
I'm not really a club meetings sort of chap - this forum is excellent though.

Alan
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 13:31   #79
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
My speaker is mounted onto MDF and then used a pair of black tights to cover the speaker so you can't see it through the grill. Not that it matters. The rear speaker shelf is done in a similar manner so you can't see the speakers or the retractable belts.
That is very helpful. In the fullness of time I think I'll reinstate the rear shelf speaker and use the LH channel to drive it.

By retractable belts do you mean seat belts? I don't have any in the back, just the C130 style ones in the front (reminds me of... Airborne!):

Alan
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 13:39   #80
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
That is very helpful. In the fullness of time I think I'll reinstate the rear shelf speaker and use the LH channel to drive it.

By retractable belts do you mean seat belts? I don't have any in the back, just the C130 style ones in the front (reminds me of... Airborne!):

Alan
The photos are long gone but my mate did the write up previously: "I wanted the speakers to be invisible to the casual observer. The covering is acoustic cloth, so does not affect the sound. I also have a pair of small speakers under the dash and two tweeters let into the A pillar trims. The head unit is hidden under the dash, as is the ariel. No part of the system is really visible from outside the car. The sound from the system is excellent (to my untrained ear at least).

Make sure that each rear speaker is isolated from the other, with no path between. Also make sure that there are no holes through the surroundings (into the boot etc) , otherwise you might hear the speakers moving air. The body of the shelf is MDF and the three triangular supports are ply as this does not split when you screw into the side face. The shelf is secured from inside the boot (through the original parcel shelf) with 2 screws into the centre rib and one screw into each outer rib."

Yes retractable belts, Volvo started prepping the cars for them so they could be installed, maybe 1966. The reels are mounted under the rear parcel shelf on a plate and the web comes through a slot in the parcel shelf.

You can replace the front statics quite easily and you can keep the the clip mechanism on the tunnel as well: https://youtu.be/nr3GLOiq4pc I have original 140 retractables in my 142 which use the same clip as the AMazon but have never seen another pair for sale so assume like hens teeth.

Last edited by Burdekin; Jan 13th, 2022 at 13:43.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post: