Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 644215

Replies : 1365

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2022, 14:25   #81
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
The photos are long gone but my mate did the write up previously: "I wanted the speakers to be invisible to the casual observer. The covering is acoustic cloth, so does not affect the sound. I also have a pair of small speakers under the dash and two tweeters let into the A pillar trims. The head unit is hidden under the dash, as is the ariel. No part of the system is really visible from outside the car. The sound from the system is excellent (to my untrained ear at least).

Make sure that each rear speaker is isolated from the other, with no path between. Also make sure that there are no holes through the surroundings (into the boot etc) , otherwise you might hear the speakers moving air. The body of the shelf is MDF and the three triangular supports are ply as this does not split when you screw into the side face. The shelf is secured from inside the boot (through the original parcel shelf) with 2 screws into the centre rib and one screw into each outer rib."

Yes retractable belts, Volvo started prepping the cars for them so they could be installed, maybe 1966. The reels are mounted under the rear parcel shelf on a plate and the web comes through a slot in the parcel shelf.

You can replace the front statics quite easily and you can keep the the clip mechanism on the tunnel as well: https://youtu.be/nr3GLOiq4pc I have original 140 retractables in my 142 which use the same clip as the AMazon but have never seen another pair for sale so assume like hens teeth.
Many thanks.

I'm not really a music buff, so I'll be happy enough with a hidden system that I can connect my cell phone to. I'm almost there, I think I'll just reinstate the rear speaker and install a holder for my cell phone plus a USB socket to charge it (hidden under the dash) and that will do nicely.

I quite like the aircraft style seat belts in the front, and I have no plans to install any in the rear. GAM is quirky as it is, but that is the attraction of the motor car for me.

:-)

Alan
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 15:02   #82
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm not really a club meetings sort of chap - this forum is excellent though.

Alan
No, nor am I in the grand schemes, but I'd turn up to have a walk round an old Volvo

Im hoping later this year, or more likely early next when Daughter has paid me back what I lent her for a house deposit, that I'll grab an Amazon or maybe a 164 to play with.
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 16:35   #83
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
No, nor am I in the grand schemes, but I'd turn up to have a walk round an old Volvo

Im hoping later this year, or more likely early next when Daughter has paid me back what I lent her for a house deposit, that I'll grab an Amazon or maybe a 164 to play with.
Excellent. I can certainly recommend the Amazon. I don't know much about the 140/160 cars, but I think they are quite similar to the 240s under the skin. Early 240s (before 1984) are a a sweet spot for historic car ownership: young enough to be reliable and very useful but old enough to be interesting. The 1980 and older cars are cheap to run as well (you may have seen my other thread and so know that the RB's fixed costs will be about £75 for the next year).

Alan
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 17:22   #84
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Adding to Alan's fine endorsement, I think there is indeed a fundamental similarity running from the Amazons, through 1, 2, and 7 series cars, right up to the 9 series.

Ironically when viewed from today, Volvo had the 'advantage' of being a (relatively) small independent manufacturer ill-able to afford the massive development costs associated with the introduction of a brand new model.

Their cars therefore tended to evolve over time; Amazon to 1 series, 1 to 2, and so on. There is much of the Amazon remaining under the posh new frock of the 1. The 2 saw the introduction of heavily revised mechanicals and the 7 a radically redesigned body, which finally morphed into the late-lamented 9 series and the final RWD Volvos.

It is this, I think, which makes them so suitable for the purposes that Alan describes today. Robust, simple mechanics, generally good spares availability, an enthusiastic owners' club and this very supportive forum. Add that to their green credentials and undefinable fun-factor, they lend a much-needed splash of colour to the sea of grey that is motoring today.

I think I might even be talking myself back into one - I still miss mine, especially my 245 GLT. PGE 633 Y, affectionately known as 'Peggy', where are you now, I wonder?

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Jan 13th, 2022 at 17:26. Reason: Typo
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 19:22   #85
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Adding to Alan's fine endorsement, I think there is indeed a fundamental similarity running from the Amazons, through 1, 2, and 7 series cars, right up to the 9 series.

Ironically when viewed from today, Volvo had the 'advantage' of being a (relatively) small independent manufacturer ill-able to afford the massive development costs associated with the introduction of a brand new model.

Their cars therefore tended to evolve over time; Amazon to 1 series, 1 to 2, and so on. There is much of the Amazon remaining under the posh new frock of the 1. The 2 saw the introduction of heavily revised mechanicals and the 7 a radically redesigned body, which finally morphed into the late-lamented 9 series and the final RWD Volvos.

It is this, I think, which makes them so suitable for the purposes that Alan describes today. Robust, simple mechanics, generally good spares availability, an enthusiastic owners' club and this very supportive forum. Add that to their green credentials and undefinable fun-factor, they lend a much-needed splash of colour to the sea of grey that is motoring today.

I think I might even be talking myself back into one - I still miss mine, especially my 245 GLT. PGE 633 Y, affectionately known as 'Peggy', where are you now, I wonder?

Regards, John.
Thing is John, why fix what isn't broken? You can look at almost any product over the past 20-25 years give or take a little and find examples of upgrades for upgrades sake. Volvo kept by the formula that worked and it was successful.

As for your old 245GLT, i had a look on the DVLA site and found this :

PGE 633Y
✗ Untaxed
Tax due:
30 September 1999
Incorrect tax status?
MOT
No details held by DVLA
Incorrect MOT status?
Warning If you've just bought this vehicle the tax or SORN doesn't come with it. You'll need to tax it before driving it.
Vehicle Details

Vehicle make
VOLVO
Date of first registration
June 1989
Year of manufacture
Cylinder capacity
2316 cc
CO₂ emissions
Not available
Fuel type
PETROL
Euro status
Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE)
Not available
Export marker
No
Vehicle status
Untaxed
Vehicle colour
BLUE
Vehicle type approval
Not available
Wheelplan
2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight
Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued
28 October 2002

Not sure if it's good news or bad news but doesn't appear to have been scrapped unless i've missed something so it may turn up. A bit odd that the date of first registration is 1989 when it's a 1983 car, perhaps an Armed Forces import?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 20:21   #86
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Thanks, 'L.S.'. 'Peggy' was in fact first registered on June 1st., 1983. The V5 that I had at the time (1995-98) clearly stated that. However, the P.O., a gentleman who lived near Glasgow and was a fellow VOC member, did advise me that it was an 'ex-embassy' car. As it was, to coin a phrase that I do not particularly like, 'fully loaded', I did not doubt the truth of that statement. I later sold it to someone living in Milton Keynes whilst I was working on a contrast there.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 20:56   #87
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks, 'L.S.'. 'Peggy' was in fact first registered on June 1st., 1983. The V5 that I had at the time (1995-98) clearly stated that. However, the P.O., a gentleman who lived near Glasgow and was a fellow VOC member, did advise me that it was an 'ex-embassy' car. As it was, to coin a phrase that I do not particularly like, 'fully loaded', I did not doubt the truth of that statement. I later sold it to someone living in Milton Keynes whilst I was working on a contrast there.

Regards, John.
That would explain a lot John, the air-con and the fact it was probably on diplomatic plates for the first 12 years of its life and then given an age related plate by the DVLA when sold to the masses.
Shame there's no trace after September 99 on the tax and last V5 was 2002 but in some ways a positive thing as at least it doesn't appear to have been scrapped.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 05:44   #88
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Regards, John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That would explain a lot John, the air-con and the fact it was probably on diplomatic plates for the first 12 years of its life and then given an age related plate by the DVLA when sold to the masses.
Shame there's no trace after September 99 on the tax and last V5 was 2002 but in some ways a positive thing as at least it doesn't appear to have been scrapped.
I suppose the motor car may still be sitting in a barn or lock-up garage somewhere near MK then. We may see it advertised one day; I wonder John, would you pursue it (if the price was right) if that were to be the case?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 14th, 2022 at 05:44. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 06:21   #89
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Im near MK...and id possibly pursue it if it ever emerged.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 10:29   #90
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I suppose the motor car may still be sitting in a barn or lock-up garage somewhere near MK then. We may see it advertised one day; I wonder John, would you pursue it (if the price was right) if that were to be the case?

Alan
An interesting question, Alan. After considerable reflection, the short answer is probably not, but only because the car is a manual. I was in my 40s when I owned PGE; now, well into my 8th decade and having only driven autos for over 20 years, I would not want to return to stirring my own cogs! That is in no way intended as a criticism of the 4 + O/D 'box, which was a very sweet unit that suited the car well, more a reflection of the advances of tempus fugit - mine, not the car's!

When I bought PGE, it was in near show condition, having won awards in the past. For three years it became my daily driver and essential business tool, so was kept in good - but by no means show - condition. It took us to Norway, Sweden and Denmark, often four up, regularly did three-figure daily commutes and, for a period, a weekly one to Kent.

While the car did not have an easy life in my ownership, it was running well and in good general condition when I sold it back in '98. I understood that the new owner intended to use it as his daily driver, which is why I am a little surprised that there is no record of it after only a year. All that I can think of is that it either suffered a catastrophic failure (unlikely) and was taken off the road, or involved in a major accident, with the same result. One can only speculate.

Now, if ever you were to consider parting with the R.B. ...

Having never owned an Amazon myself, I'm already captivated by Great Aunt Maud, and look forward to reading of her adventures in your hands in these pages. I did once come close. Back in '83 or '84 I answered an ad for a one owner, 1968 (F) 123 GT up at £300. The chap was buying a then-new Mercedes 190E and for some reason didn't want to do a P/Ex. Fool that I was (isn't hindsight wonderful?) I rejected the car on rusty rear wheel arches!

Best wishes to you and GAM.

Regards, John.