Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£866.66p per cm overpriced

Views : 1222

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2022, 20:41   #11
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Considering the recent work the price looks very fair. Without the work done it would be a 5-10k car
Presumably you know that all the work was done by experts to the best standard?

I have seen a few 960 royals with pretty much the ‘1’ at the front of the 15k price tag and they have struggled to sel. Indeed the stretched 960 3 posts up has been for sale for months at 5k and looks just as clean.

I am certain that will be listed for many many weeks and then keep appearing and reappearing like the £25,000 Gul that is listed on and off (and is probably better value than this).

The fact he or she may have spent 10,000 on it (and they may have done) does not mean it will recoup the 5k realistic sell price with the 10k on top…
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 20:44   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

The mot history is fairly clean although it was clearly laid Up between the 2013 mot to when it had another job 2018 covering under 100miles in 5 years.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 21:35   #13
Forrest
VOC Member

Personally, I’m not regretting the £900 V90 I bought, with a similar mileage, from a member on here last year and still having the £14,100 in my bank account. But each to their own.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 22:22   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Personally, I’m not regretting the £900 V90 I bought, with a similar mileage, from a member on here last year and still having the £14,100 in my bank account. But each to their own.
Playing Devils Advocate for a moment, dealers/traders have to make a living and their basic business model is buy as cheap as possible and sell as high as possible. However for the private buyer, they are obliged by law to put a warranty on (and honour it!) and morally to present the car in its best light including a full valet, polish etc, rectify any obvious defects and so on.

This is why there is a large amount between buying and selling price so they can do that and have profit to earn a crust.

I'm fairly sure most of us don't object to that.

However when they are trying to earn not just a crust but the whole damned bakery it gets a bit silly, especially when the car just isn't worth it.

Some people will view the 960/S90 models as "just another 960/S90", others will view them as something special and be happy to pay an inflated price to own one.
Because they're rare, it's probably difficult for dealers/traders to pitch the price realistically as there is little to compare them with if viewing them as a model in their own right.

Only the ultimate buyer of either of those S90 Royals will know what they expect to pay and what they actually pay for them, assuming they sell of course. Because they're so rare though, they can't be expected to set a precedent on values.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 09:14   #15
kiloran

I know it's an expansion tank and maybe it's just me but, um, that expansion tank looks empty, with evidence of boiling over coolant.

Having said that, as someone whose family is about to spend £16k on two used VW Ups that's an awful lot of car for £5k which is only going to go one way in value.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 09:18   #16
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Economics for Imbeciles 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-960...-127635-2958-0

Sorry, they've decided to put the price back up to 5k, an interesting selling strategy shared by the 940 Wentworth on ebay that didn't sell for £2500 and didn't sell for £2000 so is now £3600
If the original asking price did not elicit any bids it was obviously too low and people were suspicious that it was a con. The solution is to raise the strtting price at every re-listing until potential buyers can believe that the item for sale is genuine.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 10:46   #17
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

The price is reasonable at face value, but the number of people queuing up to buy an elderly limousine is small.

Wealthy people want new limos, hobbyists tend to want cheap ones. The pool of wealthy people who will only settle for a quarter of a century old limo is so tiny as to be non existent.

Perhaps it's the same feller that was trying to punt out that mediocre 240 wagon for 9 gees?
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 11:20   #18
griston64
Premier Member

I'd be slightly worried with the propensity 960's have to rot underneath that someone has painted over the top of it all with underseal !

It looks very well polished and clean but it's still at least 10k overpriced
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:00   #19
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

It's a nice car but a very small market, want a big thirsty Volvo that only seats 4 people and isn't a more desirable/useable estate .... mmmm...

I think a tough sell needs to be around the £5k mark or less to get a sniff at that much lower price.

I can attest to the delights of buying from a dealer with my Subframe woe on my S80 all repairs at dealers expense .. thank you Peter at Quick and Big for the no-quibble fast response .. that's how it should be done when things go wrong but eVil Bay that's more lottery than most...
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 14:00   #20
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Only one registered in the UK... that's why there is one for sale for £4k right now on ebay and auto trader... they tried selling it for 5k but it didn't get a single bid obviously.
The Seller states "Only one in the UK registered on DVLA like S90 Executive. All other cars are 960 Executive"

If you put the registration on the Government's MOT checker it is listed as an "Volvo S90".

If you put the car you presented from Ebay, it's registered as a "Volvo 960".

So, while I cannot verify his claim, your listing does not disprove it.

Edit: I'm not suggesting that the "official" S90 tag is worth £10,000, just that his claim may be accurate

2nd Edit: He is quite correct according to howmanyleft.co.uk (see link below)

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=...+s90+executive

Last edited by Rocinante; Jan 21st, 2022 at 14:14.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post: