Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sound system controls - MY22 (Google AAOS) XC60

Views : 4535

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 17:50   #1
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Default Sound system controls - MY22 (Google AAOS) XC60

Looking at a MY22 (Sensus) XC40 Inscription with the “entry level” sound system today, it has a great touchscreen LR Balance and FR Fader control as well as an equalizer.

Where is this same minimum functionality in my MY22 (Google AAOS) XC60 Inscription “entry level” sound system??? Even my entry level KIA Picanto has a Balance and Fader control!

I am beginning to feel like I’ve been taken as a mug by Volvo…
  • Sensus = Great
  • Google AAOS = Con Job

I think a major software update is the very least Volvo needs to do for its swindled (Google AAOS) XC60 customers!
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 20:54   #2
My22xc60

Totally agree: there’s a distinct lack of basic functionality for the sound system’s settings.

In mine, it appears very much front-biased in that when I switch off the front speakers - as switching off front/rear is the only option - the rear audio is sadly lacking and barely audible. No way to adjust, either, so fingers crossed for some magical update in the not-too-distant future. One can but dream!!
My22xc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 21:22   #3
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by My22xc60 View Post
Totally agree: there’s a distinct lack of basic functionality for the sound system’s settings.

In mine, it appears very much front-biased in that when I switch off the front speakers - as switching off front/rear is the only option - the rear audio is sadly lacking and barely audible. No way to adjust, either, so fingers crossed for some magical update in the not-too-distant future. One can but dream!!
Interesting that this is not only me with this situation.

I have written to Volvo UK today about this, as not having this most basic of adjustments is unacceptable for a car of this value.

The MY21 XC60s had this adjustment in the basic level audio system: (there was even an equalizer!)

High Performance (this is the entry-level audio)
  • Tone – settings for bass, treble, equalizer, etc.
  • Balance – balance between right/left loudspeakers and balance between front/rear loudspeakers.
  • System Volumes – adjusts volume in the various systems of the car, e.g. Voice Control, Park Assist and Phone Ringtone.

(Premium Sound (Bowers & Wilkins) and High Performance Pro (Harman Kardon), were the extra cost upgrades)

Does your Sound settings page screen look the same as mine below?

Many thanks

Sound Settings - Copy.jpg
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 09:46   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I do not have a google system but wondered if keeping your finger pressed on the speaker icon opens a sub menu like it does on my tablet app icons. Worth trying.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 16:13   #5
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I do not have a google system but wondered if keeping your finger pressed on the speaker icon opens a sub menu like it does on my tablet app icons. Worth trying.
Just tried as you suggested and sadly – nothing. Pressing the speaker icons just cycles the speakers as being ether fully Off or fully On. I also tried swiping the screen left/right, up/down – nothing.

---------------------

What is really weird and unfortunately, I have no evidence of this, but I could have sworn that when I first got the car in Nov 21, the Sound settings page had more adjustments – you could press your finger on the seats picture and it would turn the seat Red on the display, which I think adjusted the sound for a specific seating position in the car. Or was I just dreaming this?

If I’m correct in my recollection, then it looks as if the latest V1.8 software update has broken the Sound adjustment options and this may be the reason for the V1.8.1 minor revision update that some people have reported having on their cars?

The only quick way to confirm this is doing a poll of those people with ‘Inscriptions’ with the ‘standard’ audio, on V1.8 and V1.8.1 and see how their Sound settings page screen behaves.

---------------------

It will be interesting to know what Volvo UK have to say.

Thanks for your help
The Following User Says Thank You to LRS For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 16:44   #6
RandolphC

just checked my car which has update 1.8.1
the sound system gives speaker choices for all 4 seats, surround sound, bass, treble and sub woofer settings. It has always had these settings and is a HK system.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 18:00   #7
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandolphC View Post
just checked my car which has update 1.8.1
the sound system gives speaker choices for all 4 seats, surround sound, bass, treble and sub woofer settings. It has always had these settings and is a HK system.
The HK is a cost option upgrade audio system, so unfortunately not comparable to my entry level system.

What is completely annoying is that the MY22 online manual for cars with AAOS Google Infotainment, does not spell out what each audio specification level adjustments are available, unlike the MY21 online manual for cars with Sensus, which does spell it out!

For example:

Audio Info - Sensus vs AAOS Google.jpg

(Sensus = Proper Job) as opposed to (AAOS Google = Con Job)
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 19:21   #8
WhatNext?

Anyone tried voice control?

just a thought
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 20:21   #9
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatNext? View Post
Anyone tried voice control?

just a thought
I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Any proven suggestions for the voice command syntax for this?
  • Hey Google, adjust balance
  • Hey Google adjust fader

If this works it would prove that the operating system has the coding to do it and it’s just the display interface coding which is broken.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 11:38   #10
cliffharris
cliffInLincoln

Unhappy

Agree with all your comments that new system is trash.
I had a 2018 XC60 with basic sound system and had all the controls including an equaliser; now bass & treble like a 1970's stereo!!!!!!

I'm also not impressed that my I-Pod (yes I still use one) is connected only via Bluetooth, why?
The 2018 model connected via the USB and sounded good. I still have I-Pod connected with the new strange USB ports permanently for charging, so I'd prefer it worked like the old model not Bluetooth.

So many other gripes compared to my 2018 XC60 Momentum Pro; I regret getting a 2022 model.
Could be my very last Volvo !!
cliffharris is offline   Reply With Quote