Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new (to us) 240GL estate

Views : 571

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 15:36   #1
karlak

Default new (to us) 240GL estate

My Son has purchased a 240GL estate G-reg automatic.

Overall in pretty good condition, but just working through a few issues. Hopefully may get some pointers here.

The Overdrive Lockout light is constantly on the dash, we found the fuse for this had blown. Replaced it, but blew again. The fuse also does the rear demister. I have read where the wiring to the rear heater can short, so this could be it and will take a look when we get a chance.

I just wanted to check something though. If the rear screen heater switch is off and the engine is started. Would it be fair to say, we should get 0v at the fuse holder. It seems to go straight to 12v when the engine is started. Obviously, could be the overdrive lockout doing it as well I guess.

** We also have the heater blower not working, but that will be looked at another day..

** Wondered if someone could find a picture of or take a picture of the rear washer pipe where it comes into the tailgate. This one has come apart and it is now too short to reconnect - not sure if it was brittle and broke, or we are missing a connector

Been a while since I got oily messing with fuses and multimeters, but will come back to me. Son is 24 and is going to get it reliable and then use it as his daily.. Which can only be a good thing for these old girls. He is going from a 220bhp Clio RS Sport to the 240. Seems a few of his mates like the more "classic" cars as well.

I am sure we may back with a few more questions. Although, the search function has already been great.

G Reg 240 GL Estate automatic.
karlak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karlak For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 15:43   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlak View Post
My Son has purchased a 240GL estate G-reg automatic.

Overall in pretty good condition, but just working through a few issues. Hopefully may get some pointers here.

The Overdrive Lockout light is constantly on the dash, we found the fuse for this had blown. Replaced it, but blew again. The fuse also does the rear demister. I have read where the wiring to the rear heater can short, so this could be it and will take a look when we get a chance.

I just wanted to check something though. If the rear screen heater switch is off and the engine is started. Would it be fair to say, we should get 0v at the fuse holder. It seems to go straight to 12v when the engine is started. Obviously, could be the overdrive lockout doing it as well I guess.

** We also have the heater blower not working, but that will be looked at another day..

** Wondered if someone could find a picture of or take a picture of the rear washer pipe where it comes into the tailgate. This one has come apart and it is now too short to reconnect - not sure if it was brittle and broke, or we are missing a connector

Been a while since I got oily messing with fuses and multimeters, but will come back to me. Son is 24 and is going to get it reliable and then use it as his daily.. Which can only be a good thing for these old girls. He is going from a 220bhp Clio RS Sport to the 240. Seems a few of his mates like the more "classic" cars as well.

I am sure we may back with a few more questions. Although, the search function has already been great.

The wires that feed the rear door stuff come through the hinge and are notorious for damage.🤔
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 15:50   #3
karlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
The wires that feed the rear door stuff come through the hinge and are notorious for damage.🤔
Will definitely take a look there - thankyou. I guess if that is shorting and blowing the fuse, would also explain why the overdrive lockout is not working.

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 17:08   #4
Problemchild1976

Hello - welcome

JJ
Problemchild1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Problemchild1976 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 14:48   #5
karlak

My lad has ordered loads of bits to sort some niggles out at the weekend.. Seems both wires to the rear screen are shorted or open circuit. So, got 2 new cables coming.

Also, he has ordered the fuse box converter, so the ceramic fuses can be ditched. Plus loads of other bits and pieces..

What we could do with is if anyone can help with the rear washer pipe where it comes from the body to the tailgate.. not sure if what is there is a fix, that has failed. I think it should have a flexi type pipe, this one is rigid and as you can see is broken/not connected. Any photos of what it should be like and ideally if anyone has anything of a estate they are scrapping ?

Old Jan 27th, 2022, 15:50   #6
karlak

Just realised haven't posted the obligatory pics.. Didn't have one without the roof rack, which has now been removed, so just took a couple....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to karlak For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 16:03   #7
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

You can get straight connectors for the pipe that will push in:~
Try ebay or car builder solutions/similar some have a none return valve that should be present on you car (The '88 240 has it in the rear pillar behind the trim)
Washer tube is also available if you need to extend etc.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 16:18   #8
Problemchild1976

Lovely - jealous

JJ
Smart Fortwo cdi
Problemchild1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Problemchild1976 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 16:41   #9
Moomoo
VOC Member

Come on now, that is nice. Love it.

One to be proud of, the wheels set it off a treat.😍
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 17:01   #10
karlak

Both left/right rear looms to the tailgate replaced today. Rear Heater fuse no longer blowing and the automatic box 4th gear lock-out light no longer on all the time.. The rear number plate lights are also now working.. Both cables had at least one wire broken. Both earth straps on each side also broken, so a job that definitely needed doing..

Not the first time the cables have been replaced, someone done not such a good job previously and made a bit of a Horlicks of the rubber seals for the hinges. Can these still be got hold of ?

Tomorrow will be changing the fuse box to the newer blade type.. The try and adjust the bonnet so it fits better..

Son has just taken it out for some fuel, he is so pleased with it..

Last edited by karlak; Jan 29th, 2022 at 17:03.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karlak For This Useful Post: