Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HELP!! XC70 2008 Vibration

Views : 363

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 17:27   #1
XC70Life

Default HELP!! XC70 2008 Vibration

Hi all, new member hoping that you can help me solve an ongoing problem I have with my 2008 XC70 D5. It's now on 155,500 miles.

Bought it about a year ago knowing it had not been given the love it should have so knew it had various issues. Lots of these were straightforward like aircon re-gas, cambelt, full service etc. Have gradually been putting things right, with just the one issue left. One of those irritating vibrations between about 60 and 80! Most noticeable at 70. It's driving me nuts!

When I bought it the rear end snaked like crazy but that turned out to be some rear mounts of some description, got those changed and the snaking stopped. Volvo main dealer has changed front hubs, new pads and disks allround, obviously tried balancing and tracking but it's still there. I even bought another set of wheels with new tyres and it's still there. I'm sure it's going to be something simple but Volvo just dont seem to give a monkeys.

To me it feels like its front nearside, but I've been told it might feel like it's there but could be from anywhere on the car. Volvo said front driveshafts 'looked ok', they said there was a little bit of movement in a rear one but they didnt think that would cause it. Oh and they wanted £600 to change it! £600!!!!!

You can feel it through the pedals and from the floor of the drivers footwell. Take your feet off the pedals and the floor you cant feel anything.

If I thought and had confidence in the dealer that £600 would fix it I'd get it done, but they have said it's not that.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be incredibly grateful, I've spent a fortune getting the car back to where it should be, I absolutely love the car but I just need to sort this last thing.

Hoping someone can help!

Thank you!

Rob.

Last edited by XC70Life; Jan 23rd, 2022 at 17:31.
XC70Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 14:36   #2
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Vibrations certainly can be caused by driveshafts, but this is usually most noticeable under load (accelerating / climbing hills, etc). I'd also be checking the health of components which affect dynamic tracking (i.e. how well the suspension keeps the wheels aligned, not the static setting of the tracking) - wishbone bushes, bottom ball joints, track rods (inners and outers), etc. My car can be tracked "straight", but scrubs up tyres, walks all over the road, etc. It's about to get everything thrown at it - fair game at 270k miles, I think!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 14:56   #3
passenger
Master Member

You can always buy drive shaft online and change it by independent mech. That would be cheapest to do.
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 15:38   #4
XC70Life

Thank you both!

It's so frustrating as you would think Volvo would be the people to turn to to get it right. If anyone has recommendations for a decent garage I'd happily give them a try. I'm in Hertfordshire but happy to travel to get it fixed!
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 15:39   #5
XC70Life

Thanks James! I wish I had a trusted mechanic who I could give it to to get it sorted! And that's excellent mileage on yours!
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Life For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 21:01   #6
37 RUBY
Master Member

Have the front top suspension mounts been inspected for wear?

This is an often overlooked component which does cause NVH when worn
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post: