Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abs rings

Views : 752

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2022, 18:17   #1
Carlosos

Default Abs rings

Got a intermittent abs error that I haven’t had read and a fault with the abs that it engages intermittently only when going very slowly and coming to a stop (no error when this happens).

Signs seem to point to abs ring so going to change the fronts first and see if that stops the issue. Front drivers side has been done 20k ish miles ago but am going to do both. Looks pretty straight forward but I’ve read a few issues with knocking the splines away from the hub.

Is this a big issue that I’m likely to face or on v70’s do they normally pop out?

2004 petrol 95k miles.
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 19:02   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

they usualy come out . on an xc90 it can be a different story
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 19:22   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

before you start unbolting anything else, remove the centre bolt, get a suitable drift or right sized socket and hit the end of the shaft. if it moves, it moves, if not you're not stuck with the whole thing in bits

mine were both easy when I did it

what I didn't do was pull the whole shaft out from the gearbox and THAT is the bit that has to be done right, so definitely check out some advice on that before you just start pulling the shaft

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 24th, 2022 at 19:24.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 19:30   #4
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
they usualy come out . on an xc90 it can be a different story
That’s what I’ve read but some cross talk to v70’s. Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 19:34   #5
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
before you start unbolting anything else, remove the centre bolt, get a suitable drift or right sized socket and hit the end of the shaft. if it moves, it moves, if not you're not stuck with the whole thing in bits

mine were both easy when I did it

what I didn't do was pull the whole shaft out from the gearbox and THAT is the bit that has to be done right, so definitely check out some advice on that before you just start pulling the shaft
Thanks for that. I have no intention of taking out the shafts so they can stay put.

I see what you mean so jack up remove wheel and make sure it pops or do it on the ground with the wheel attached through the wheel centre cap? I imagine if it won’t come out it’ll be going to a garage.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 21:13   #6
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

much easier with the shaft out - on auto you just tug it very hard (once you remove the bearing)

cut the old ring with dremel and prise off.

heat new ring til changes colour.

use thick gloves and grips and fit onto shaft

see SiRobb youtube channel
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 01:35   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosos View Post
jack up remove wheel and make sure it pops or do it on the ground with the wheel attached through the wheel centre cap
either way is fine as far as I know, I don't believe there is any stress on the bolt or the shaft which is relative to the spring compression or wishbone position etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
much easier with the shaft out
I would have thought so too

but on mine I was very careful to bungee cord the driveshaft while it was hanging from the 'box while I was working on the hub in the garage (balljoints and replacing shocks/springs) it was my understanding that if you just pull them or let them hang then the CV can come apart at the other end inside the gaiter ?

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 25th, 2022 at 01:38.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 13:21   #8
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
it was my understanding that if you just pull them or let them hang then the CV can come apart at the other end inside the gaiter ?
Yes this can happen, it happened to a friend of mine when working on the front drive shafts , it allows one or more of the balls to exit the cage and get between the end of the shaft and the CV housing , when you put drive shaft / suspension back together it causes the drive shaft to lock up.

lucky for my friend he backed out of his garage very slowly and felt the car judder so stopped before doing any damage to the CV joint, but it took 2 of us to get it all back together correctly, not a fun job.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 14:49   #9
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC70Bob View Post
Yes this can happen, it happened to a friend of mine when working on the front drive shafts , it allows one or more of the balls to exit the cage and get between the end of the shaft and the CV housing , when you put drive shaft / suspension back together it causes the drive shaft to lock up.

lucky for my friend he backed out of his garage very slowly and felt the car judder so stopped before doing any damage to the CV joint, but it took 2 of us to get it all back together correctly, not a fun job.
Yeah I can’t be arsed with any of that for 2 £10 rings! Going to attempt on Saturday. I’ll report back.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 15:03   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Well if you do find you need to pull the shaft out the correct method involves pry bars to lever it out carefully from the diff output, volvo have a 2 pronged fork shaped tool I belive but it can be done with two levers one either side.

Support the car well because you'll be jiggling it around a bit, one video I watched was very cringey the guy nearly died at least twice

mini project - link