Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abs rings

Views : 777

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2022, 15:37   #11
Michaelvd1234

Be very careful with the drive shaft/cv joints, I managed to seperate 2 inner cv joints while doing suspension work a few months ago and it was not a fun puzzle putting the balls and cages back together, it was 1 big greasy mess. Also, when pulling the drive shafts out of the transmission and pushing them back in when you're done, be very careful not to damage the seals in the transmission. I damaged mine which caused a leak and now I'm going to have to tear everything apart again just to replace the seals.. You might want to replace the seals while the driveshafts are out anyways.

I have a question btw, what exactly does it feel like when coming to a stop? Do you feel anything in the pedal or do you hear any strange noises? I am dealing with an issue where it feels like my S60's brakes are grabbing and releasing when braking at lower speeds and I am kind of suspecting the ABS rings or at least one of them to be at fault, but I don't have VIDA and I don't feel anything in the pedal or hear any weird noises.
Michaelvd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 16:21   #12
MrJames

I left the drive shafts in while I did the rings on mine, just supported them and honestly you don't need to move them around a lot, just use a dremel to cut a ring off if it hasn't cracked, get the new ring nice and hot with a gas torch, slip it on, once it cools stick the drive shaft back in the hub!

Only thing to watch out for is one of the seals between the drive shaft and hub fell apart when I took it off so I had to order replacements which delayed the job, it's just a simple stick it on the drive shaft seal so nothing major.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 16:39   #13
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelvd1234 View Post
Be very careful with the drive shaft/cv joints, I managed to seperate 2 inner cv joints while doing suspension work a few months ago and it was not a fun puzzle putting the balls and cages back together, it was 1 big greasy mess. Also, when pulling the drive shafts out of the transmission and pushing them back in when you're done, be very careful not to damage the seals in the transmission. I damaged mine which caused a leak and now I'm going to have to tear everything apart again just to replace the seals.. You might want to replace the seals while the driveshafts are out anyways.

I have a question btw, what exactly does it feel like when coming to a stop? Do you feel anything in the pedal or do you hear any strange noises? I am dealing with an issue where it feels like my S60's brakes are grabbing and releasing when braking at lower speeds and I am kind of suspecting the ABS rings or at least one of them to be at fault, but I don't have VIDA and I don't feel anything in the pedal or hear any weird noises.
When it does it you can feel the brake pedal pulse and hear the abs click but as i think it’s the abs ring as it gets to the next tooth it realises all is well and stops abs’ing. At least I’m pretty sure I hear it click it may just be my mind playing tricks as I can feel it in my foot.
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 16:42   #14
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
I left the drive shafts in while I did the rings on mine, just supported them and honestly you don't need to move them around a lot, just use a dremel to cut a ring off if it hasn't cracked, get the new ring nice and hot with a gas torch, slip it on, once it cools stick the drive shaft back in the hub!

Only thing to watch out for is one of the seals between the drive shaft and hub fell apart when I took it off so I had to order replacements which delayed the job, it's just a simple stick it on the drive shaft seal so nothing major.
I have no intention of taking out the drive shafts, if I knew it was a strong possibility I would probably take it to a shop. I just don’t fancy it in this weather and tbh it’s one step further out of my comfort zone.

I didn’t realise there was a seal between hub and driveshaft I thought it was just a spline join?
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 16:47   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I think the one he's talking about is just a little rubber ring, one fell out on mine as well, i just used a bit of the grease to 'stick' in back in place while I pushed the shaft back in and as far as I know it's fine since then

presumably it stops damp getting into the back side of bearing?

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 16:51   #16
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
I think the one he's talking about is just a little rubber ring, one fell out on mine as well, i just used a bit of the grease to 'stick' in back in place while I pushed the shaft back in and as far as I know it's fine since then

Makes sense I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 16:57   #17
MrJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post

The issue with mine is the actual seal just fell into pieces, so had to replace it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrJames For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 22:15   #18
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
The issue with mine is the actual seal just fell into pieces, so had to replace it.
I’m a bit paranoid about it all falling to pieces in my hands now. The shafts and the seal ring. I’ll give it a go and hopefully do it with shafts in situ and without them falling to bits.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 00:59   #19
MrJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosos View Post
I’m a bit paranoid about it all falling to pieces in my hands now. The shafts and the seal ring. I’ll give it a go and hopefully do it with shafts in situ and without them falling to bits.
It's nothing to really worry about, it's just a small rubber seal that sits between the drive shaft and hub, I might've been unlucky with the condition of mine or they're just getting to that age now, just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you want to order them as a precaution.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 01:33   #20
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I believe this is the correct part

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...aring/1023385/ volvo part no 9492980

i had a look on ebay and can't see any at a sensible price you might be better off getting them from the dealership rather than the scandix delivery costs

if you need any that is

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote